West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romeo’s Clutch Swap, day by day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 12:42pm

Can always send on Monday, I bet you it has not left his shop.

I just got home a little pissed as I went to pick up the transmission.  I got a call and said it was ready, I have tried all week to speak with John but he was always on a "test drive for an hour...call back".  I said ask him to call me please, he never did...either way, I show up and the owener said "sorry, they forgot to do the flywheel and paint the trans", being a NICE guy, I said no worries.

So driving back home on this BEAUTIFUL day in the middle of it all, I called and said my peace to the manager and said it's all about communication, I just drove from Burnaby for nothing...a call to say "we are not complete, sorry but give us another day" is all I could wish for...see you next Saturday.

Anyways...see you tonight, we may not be there until 7:30pm or so...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 12:47pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Can always send on Monday...

Heck, why wait 'til Monday... send it today! (Just in case they process orders on the weekend.)

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 1:04pm

They don't...when I called Clutchnet this week and asked for a time line, he said "we don't warehouse, we make specific"...in a Russian accent...lol.

We chatted about delivery charges, he does a lot of business in Russia, average cost $600 shipping...that's nuts!

I am sure it's on the way, should be at David's next week, it's the FS that I am suprised did not arrive this week...still have time to collect parts and get this ready for a smooth install...right David:)...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Aw man, I saw this thread listed at the top and thought that Tristan's clutch had messed up again.

Technically it is. It's not grabbing as much as it used to, as if there's still air in the system even after I've done three gravity bleeds (At a ridiculous angle). It will even slip if I go full throttle after a clutch dump.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

It's not grabbing as much as it used to, as if there's still air in the system...

Air in the hydraulic system has nothing to do with how well a clutch grabs (engages).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 4:52pm
Well, the length required to pull the clutch off the flywheel has also increased dramatically, which is where my concern of air in the system lies. As for it not grabbing as well, I'm hoping there's some other explanation apart from the clutch surface being gone already (I don't ride it, and I do my shifts as quickly as possible).
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:38am

...I do my shifts as quickly as possible).

We're sure you do

Any updates on how your clutch is holding?  or rather not holding? 

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 12:20pm
I drove his car at the club meeting and found it to be holding pretty good, granted it was a cold clutch, and maybe when its hot it might try to slip a bit, however it was so grabby, I just don't see it being a major issue right now.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 3:48pm
Austin...you can drive mine after it's done
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

...I do my shifts as quickly as possible).

We're sure you do

Any updates on how your clutch is holding?  or rather not holding? 

The travel is still excessive, although David is right - it seems to be holding up just fine provided I do my burnouts/drifts fairly quickly. For example, leaving my dentist today I spun the car on a left hand turn across four lanes just fine, but that was literally fifteen seconds after starting the car. Didn't think to try again once I was in New West. Will experiment with it on the way to David's tomorrow. Will try burnouts as I leave New West, and then again when I get closer to David's see if it's slipping then. Like I said though, the travel is something that doesn't change regardless of temperature, and is much, much longer than it should be.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:25pm
Save a bit of room somewhere in your car and we'll go by my parents place and pick up the power bleeder after the campout.  Our car is so packed it's unreal.....every nook and crevice has something shoved in it.
So I can't get it.

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:26am

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Austin...you can drive mine after it's done

Sounds good

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 10:19am

If you can make it out, I am planning:

PCA: July 31st, Aug 2 & 8 at Pitt Meadows autoz

UBC: Aug 2 track day...I can take passengers now as a senior driver

Cheers

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic