Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 gt fixer upper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 9:59pm

K&N Air filters are clean and re-use, however K&N fuel filters and oil filters for the Fiero's are toss and replace.   

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:00am
So I've been pretty busy since the last post, but I've since managed to get all my brake issues sorted out, not to mention a few other things.  To summarize what's been done:

- New rotors and pads up front
- New calipers, rotors and pads in the rear
- E-brake cables and return springs
- Fuel filter
- Replaced my wheels (it looks stupid now with 2 different sets, but they were just too cheap, I'm just gonna burn the rubber off them.)

And I must add, the rear caliper clips to hold the pad in place are about the dumbest thing I've seen!  Either way, it's all over and done now, and the brakes are SO much better with all the new stuff and a good bleed.

Like I said I would before, I added some fuel injector cleaner stuff too and it runs great with no more occasional check engine light showing up.  Took it to aircare for the hell of it because we got a permit for saturday and............ IT PASSED!  Passed pretty easily too, wasn't even close to failing, go routine maintenance haha!

I must add that while it did pass, it left a  nice trail of coolant on the ground as I left the aircare building.  It comes out of the overflow well before it should according to the temp gauge, but I had so many cooling issues with my 91 z24, that I know I should be able to take care of this pretty easily.  It needs a good flushing anyway, and I was going to do it this saturday, but I figured since it's actually driveable right now, I'm gonna take it to the meeting as it is, and try and save the repairs for sunday or next weekend.  I just need to keep it moving or turn on the a/c to get the fan going.  Will be nice to meet you guys in person, just please be nice about the wheels hahaha, I'm well aware that my car looks dumb, but with the faded paint and torn interior, I'm not making any show car, just want a reliable cruiser built on a budget.

I'll try and get some more pictures soon, I had to try and get everything replaced in one day, so I had no time to photograph anything unfortunately.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 2:22pm

Originally posted by fierowned fierowned wrote:

I figured since it's actually driveable right now, I'm gonna take it to the meeting as it is...

Great, we look forward to meeting you and seeing the car!

fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 3:40am
UPDATE

My car is driving me nuts!  I was finally happy that I thought I had most of the bugs worked out, so I felt like doing something "fun" on the car during my lunch break and finally installed my set of H4 conversion headlamps.  The headlights are AWESOME, best find at the wrecker so far (considering I paid $6 for the pair because they thought they were plain sealed beams) ..... however, I tried to look a little more into my cooling problem and realized that it is in fact my radiator that is leaking.  I left a pretty good puddle in the parking lot at work, and it wasn't even sitting there for that long :(  If I can wake up early enough before work tomorrow (well, today now I guess) I might try calling around and pricing one out.  I've spent the last couple weekends putting this car back together, but it just keeps fighting me! 

So it looks like now I'm out for this meeting too unfortunately, but I'm kinda glad I realized that it wasn't just coming out of the overflow, or it mighta gotten pretty ugly if I actually took it out as it is.  I think I'm just gonna try and relax this weekend and leave it for now, I've been spending most of my free time trying to get this thing in decent shape, but it looks like it needs more work yet again, and I'm way too frustrated to deal with it right away.  Maybe next weekend.

So that leaves 2 questions:

1) How difficult is it to pull the rad out?

2) Any suggestions for where to get a good price on a good quality replacement?  And are there other rads that will work in a fiero and maybe provide better cooling?

I'm starting to see why this car was $650, but I'll try not to get too discouraged, and eventually it will be roadworthy.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 6:36am
Rad's not too bad to pull out.
IIRC it's a million times easier to yank the hood first.

As for pricing...  how's free sound.
I just FILLED a 25 yard dumpster here, but I saved 4 rads that I came across during the excavation.

fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:55pm
That's awesome, thanks so much John.  Haha gonna owe you A LOT of coffee by the time this car is done.

Just out of curiosity, aside from fierostore.com, is there anywhere locally where I can get a fan switch/temp sensor that will turn the fan on at a lower temperature than stock?  And while I'm at it, how about a thermostat that opens at a lower temperature too?

Sorry if they sound like dumb questions, but I've never had a car that was worth looking into stuff like this, so I've always just replaced stuff with oem spec parts.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 2:25pm

LOL, Hey John I thought I had dibs on those, LOL again.   I've got 3 already in storage, I heard he was going to toss them all in the dumpster so I told him Please Don't, I put them all in storage.  Glad that at least one of them is getting put to good use.  I'll try to make it over tonight with the trailer and grab all the extra things.

Now as to Fan Switch, hit up Napa ask for the Buick Grand National fan switch.  Its the 3.8 Turbo one IIRC its a 205ish On, 195ish off. 

Hit up Canadian Tire, and look for the most expensive brand you can find for the Fiero then look for a 180 thermostat in that brand.  Lordco/Napa/Decker's/Premium parts won't stock the 180 only place I have found to be in stock was Canadian Tire. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 5:41pm
Hehehe....  yeah, well what can I say....  he uses one, you store 7.  
Call before you head over as usual.

Oh, as for everyone else....  a 25yard bin drove away this morning FILLED to the lip with stuff.  I now have a glorious almost empty backyard.  I'm sure the neighbors are impressed & happy.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 11:43pm
John what time you going to be up and about tomorrow, I'll come over early with the trailer.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic