West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

auto recycler prices?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: auto recycler prices?
    Posted: 29 August 2009 at 8:49pm
Anyone know how much some places charge for a whole engine/tranny/wiring/computer package?  What places have good prices?  Im trying to find an L67/auto combo.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:49am
Frequently cheaper and better off to buy a whole wrecked car off an individual.

That was you get everything you need, and don't have to keep making small trips.

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 8:51am
Ya, but its not easy tracking down a low mileage GTP.. that was wrecked in a way that didn't damage the engine.  I dont even know where to look for something like that.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 11:56am
Yeah, they're tough to come by....

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/pts/1332462392.html

(cough)

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 11:33pm
ya, i already saw that one. $750 is a little high, and so far the guy hasn't gotten back to me on freight shipping from armstrong to abbotsford.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2009 at 12:00pm

I don't know the site, but there is an online place that you can enter in your location then tell it to search all the wreckers in your area and find out what engines they have listed and for what price.

For reference, A-Scott wreckers wanted $1500 for a bare 4.9 engine, and if I wanted all the extras it was another $500 to a $1000 and I would be responsible for removal of the harness as they would not take the time to remove it clean, if they did it, they would just cut all the wires.   

I got onto PFF and put the word out that I wanted a complete Caddy motor and all related bits.    Northwest Auto Wrecking just north of Seattle, got me a complete 4.9, with all accessories, harness, ECM they even included the Anti lock brake modules and related wiring.  Total cost from them, was $550 USD

So just by shopping around I paid 1/4 of the price if I just bought locally.     They did give me a warranty if I had an issue, they pulled the motor from a running car and even offered to do a compression test for me.         I paid Dr. Fiero to drive me down in his S10 pickup, was only couple hours each way, so not even that long of a drive. The wreckers in the US have much cheaper prices than up here.  With the one notable exception Pick A Part in Chilliwack.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:45pm
Good to know, problem is i dont have a passport lol. If i did, there was a guy selling 2 bonnevilles, one with a 50,000km L67 for $700 for both. If i had a passport, i would have scooped those up so fast!... Ill check out the pick-a-part in chilliwack though.
ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 12:48am
dont bother ..if any supercharged 3.8 come in i have allready picked em :) ..use the stuff for my gtp

i have a spare SC though need a rebuild ..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic