West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to finish this one...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to finish this one...
    Posted: 22 May 2007 at 5:52pm
Hello, new to this forum, I didnt even know this forum existed. Some of you may know me by trots on pff... or Rob in reality. Ive wanted to do a build thread for a long time, but I work so slow that it would end up in the archives on pff in no time. So this looks like the place to do it, especially being local and all.

Some of you may recognize my car...

If not, heres how it went down... I got bored and started playing with fiberglass, and this is what happened. I can tell you that tons of work went in to it, and I have pics of the entire process so if anyone has any questions about it, just ask and ill post some pics.

The bad news, is that im still not satisfied... this body will be ripped off soon to make room for a widebody and some rather large wheels, which I will add to this build thread.

It's unfortunate that this body which I layed by hand and sanded for days and says will be taken off, but its the learning process thats most important, and I learned alot while doing it. I will however be keeping the headlights because I love them. And the shaved molding will stay of course because I love it too.

My newest adventure that I want to document on here is what I picked up a few months back and plan to have in by the end of this summer.

God thats ungly. But ive been working on it ever since and have dropped some money into it. Its freshly rebuilt, and I plan to set up a 4t65e-hd tranny to it, which is a fairly uncommon combo, but it has been done before. Also, I plan on using a remote transmission control unit from fastfieros, hooked up to a paddle shift unit from twist machines. I want to document all of this on here, should be wild.

Heres the engine after some work.

Well thats it, sorry for the long read... I hope to be able to update fairly often...
-Rob
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 6:05pm

Welcome to the forum. I have seen the car on PFF and liked what you have done to it. I look forward to following your build and hope that you will bring it out to one of the club meetings.

Blair

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 7:04pm
Great to see another MOD with real trick power!
I always liked your lights and wanted to see them, now you're gonna have to
come out to club meetings!
John
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 9:32pm
Yeah those lights are pretty cool - I think the best part of them is how they're adjustable though....   

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 6:25pm
Nice to see another local car.   You are going to have to bring it to a meeting.  Any chance you will have it on the road for Arlington or the All Pontiac Show.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Yeah those lights are pretty cool - I think the best part of them is how they're adjustable though....   

Ah yes, your right this feature has come in very handy. To fill everyone in, after I finished making a metal frame for the lenses to sit on I needed to get them welded into place.

I dont know how to weld so I asked John to weld em in there. These frames were soposed to sit 1/4 inch below the hood to accomodate the 1/4 lense that sits on top.

John came up with the idea to make the frames adjustable by using a bolt system, turn it up, frame moves up and vice versa. Now any adjustments to the hood or whatever and I can fine tune the lenses height to be flush with the hood. Big thanks for this idea.

I dont think the car will be on the road for any of the upcoming shows. Maybe next year?

vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 7:39pm
Hope everyone had fun at Arlignton. Ive seen some nice photos so far.

While I'm waiting for my archie kit and other exciting parts to arrive, I figured id keep busy with some tailights.

Ive always wanted the euro panel lights but I was never a big fan of the old corvette lights, they are a tad too 80s style for me.

After going through a bunch of crap lights, I ended up with these.

So if you see LED round lights for 20 bucks a piece, be warned, they suck. These are bright as hell lights, with dim-signal-brake modes, polycarbonate lense, completely sealed, and they say bulletproof, but I wont be testing that statement.

They were $130 a piece, and are a pretty serious light. Too bad 2 of them got "lost" in shipping... ill figure out that mess later.

For the panel, I went with fibersmith.net. Pat Kalsmith runs this place, hes one of the nicest guys ive talked to... and the prices are great. Panel was $241 with shipping. Its really thick and solid, and the only thing wrong is that my lights dont fit the molded holes that were made for the vette lights. So some glassword is in order.

So what I did was lay a foam ring to take up some of the space, then I poured resin over the foam to make it solid. I even found a bottle of hand cleaner the exact size of the lights, so im using it as a mold to pour the resin around, then when its dry I just pop it out and im left with a perfect fit.

Till next time.
vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 8:13pm
booya.

hope everyone had fun in arlington and all thats been going on lately. anybody still reading here?
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 5:52am
Still reading, lights look great.
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:11am
Rear flush mounted lights looking SMOOTH...
(matches front headlights) very nice combo!
I don't think I want to be behind you when you brake, hehe!
vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 11:59am
Some sad news...

The other day, my battery died because I left my lights on, I left them on because the fuse blew that makes the blue thing ding to alert me. Why? I dont know... This also caused my immobilizer to stick on, so even jumping the car did no good because I could not start it.

Ive been doing some serious thinking about this project and that may have been the last straw for me. The car still wont pass aircare either. Ive run out of energy with this fiero, its problem after problem.

I really feel that when the enjoyment of a project turns into stress, its time to move on.

I will put the car in the buysell section, 1000 bucks takes it away. I just want this burden off my back.

Also for sale is the engine, and the archie kit thats currently in the mail.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 12:37pm
Sucks that you're getting put off by the problems, but...

Really, it wouldn't make any difference if the same problems were to happen on this car, a honda, or a '57 Chevy.

vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 12:49pm

Sucks that you're getting put off by the problems, but...Really, it wouldn't make any difference if the same problems were to happen on this car, a honda, or a '57 Chevy.

I know what you mean, and one day when I have a garage to keep a car in I would love to build a badass fiero but sitting out in the parking lot I just cant have a project like this. I just need a complete car where I dont have to deal with small problems all the time.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 5:45am
What you need is a daily driver-beater.

I gave up on having a project car that I needed to drive.  It's just too impractical.

vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 6:24am

What you need is a daily driver-beater.I gave up on having a project car that I needed to drive.  It's just too impractical.

ya if i had a garage, i could just put it away and forget about it for a while until i got back into it, unfortunately my townhome will only allow me to have one car.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 8:09pm
Lisa and I are in the same boat, between the 2 of us, we have 5 Fiero's and a Minivan.   That is a heck of a deal for a nice project car.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 11:07am
Sold! Thanks to all that helped me with this project. john in particular, and waylon and others.

One day I will build a mean fiero. Maybe when I have a garage to work in.

In the meantime, heres my new ride, will be ready tuesday I believe if everything goes as planned. I sprang for the 225hp turbo all wheel drive version.

Ill still be around here, I am still a fiero lover at heart...

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 12:17am

Well it will probably out accelerate a Fiero, out brake a Fiero and may even out corner a Fiero.  However a well done Audi, is just not unique enough for my taste.  Don't get me wrong that is one heck a nice car.  I hope you will someday buy another Fiero and get back into it.  Maybe just find a Project car that is finished so you don't have to do all the work to make it unique.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
vidus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vidus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Well it will probably out accelerate a Fiero, out brake a Fiero and may even out corner a Fiero.  However a well done Audi, is just not unique enough for my taste.  Don't get me wrong that is one heck a nice car.  I hope you will someday buy another Fiero and get back into it.  Maybe just find a Project car that is finished so you don't have to do all the work to make it unique.

perhaps one day I will, but for now this thing is damn fun. i think its one of the more unique cars in this decade anyways, maybe not as rare as the fiero, but thats ok, at least i can keep my skinny ass warm on my heated leather
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic