West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100 dogs slaughtered at Whistler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 10:06pm

David, I am in no way, shape or form an expert on canine behavior, but my own Dakota (My blind dog) was incredibly hostile towards anyone he thought was below him in terms of social hierachy, and did manage to scar my face on one occasion. That being said, basic deprevation for any sort of bad behavior, as well as taking an aggressive stance towards him (Don't be violent, but if he's going to growl, a good yank on the collar usually gets him to shut up) knocked Dakota back down to a submissive/omega state. Don't know if that will work in your case, but it could be worth a shot.

Anyways, smart idea taking down that comment. I don't think anyone wants to have that posted in case something does happen. No point attracting attention.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 10:18pm
Oh man.....you would never forgive yourself if he took a chunk out of your little girl.

I hate to say this in a room of dog lovers but... he's just a dog.

The Dawg

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

He has taken dog training classes and passed them, however he is becoming more aggressive to Lisa and I, and has also snapped at Arianna.
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 10:35pm

Lisa and I are facing letting go of Duke right now, so this topic really hits home for us.  He has taken dog training classes and passed them, however he is becoming more aggressive to Lisa and I, and has also snapped at Arianna. He has never bitten any of us, short of a snap on the hand the did not break skin, but we are just not sure if we want to "wait" until something does happen, and the option of giving him away is just not fair to him or a new owner knowing his tendency's. I mean what do you do with a giant lap dog that loves you, sleeps beside you, and you know would guard the house and your family till the end, however has a bad temper that scares you.

Dave, I'm FAR from an expert on dogs, but from what I understand the number one reason for "bad" behavior from "good" dogs is lack of exercise.

Frankie gets walked two hours a day every day on-leash, and every couple of days or so she gets two or three hours running around off-leash (usually in the woods) which is very important. If she doesn't receive this amount of exercise on a very regular basis we notice she gets a lot more snarley with other dogs.

Duke might have other issues which trigger his aggression, but you may have to decide if you're willing (or able) to devote enough time to help him work off his aggressive tendencies. I wish you well with this difficult situation.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Lisa and I are facing letting go of Duke right now, so this topic really hits home for us.  He has taken dog training classes and passed them, however he is becoming more aggressive to Lisa and I, and has also snapped at Arianna. He has never bitten any of us, short of a snap on the hand the did not break skin, but we are just not sure if we want to "wait" until something does happen, and the option of giving him away is just not fair to him or a new owner knowing his tendency's. I mean what do you do with a giant lap dog that loves you, sleeps beside you, and you know would guard the house and your family till the end, however has a bad temper that scares you.

Dave, I'm FAR from an expert on dogs, but from what I understand the number one reason for "bad" behavior from "good" dogs is lack of exercise.

Frankie gets walked two hours a day every day on-leash, and every couple of days or so she gets two or three hours running around off-leash (usually in the woods) which is very important. If she doesn't receive this amount of exercise on a very regular basis we notice she gets a lot more snarley with other dogs.

Duke might have other issues which trigger his aggression, but you may have to decide if you're willing (or able) to devote enough time to help him work off his aggressive tendencies. I wish you well with this difficult situation.

Even for us humans...need to take him out and give him quality energy, he's a big dog with alot of pent up energies...as with the rest, your family is what counts, but Duke needs an outlet to take off his edge...best of luck

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 12:40am
I thought it best to remove that post and did so along with deleting the user account. It was the first and only post by whoever it was and was obviously done without letting anybody know who they were. This to me isn't quite the behaviour we would look for in a member of our club. If he/she wants to come back on and make their case for their anonymity then that's fine, but I suspect we'll never see that person again with their very specific agenda.

As for Dave and Duke (if I may humbly express my opinion from experience), Duke desperately needs an outlet to burn off all that energy (not to mention the poor diet he has). If you can't do that then it's safest to let him go, perhaps to a family that can devote enough time to him. Visit sometimes if it helps.

The LAST thing you want to do is risk him biting Arianna.. I can't even imagine that. We have a little dog here and the first thing I did was make sure the dog knew where she stood on the totem pole, at the very bottom. No issues at all right now, but if I were to see any different towards our little girl then some action would be taken. Of course only after properly analyzing the situation. Like Patrick said there though, most dogs become aggressive just out of sheer boredom and too much energy. 
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 1:13am

I am not going to quote each persons post, but will try and address them all.

He gets much more exercise now than he did a few years ago.  We have 2 Tennant's that are really into the outdoors.  They take him on walks everyday and during the summer they take him down to a creek pool and let him swim for hours on end.  On top of the longer walks, having a houseful of smokers, he gets taken out probably 5-10 times a day for a short walk of about 15mins as we don't smoke in the house its just natural to take duke outside and walk around, even if its just up and down the back alley and out to the street and walking over to check the mail.

We have taken him to the vet to get checked out, he is starting to develop issues with his hip's due to age and is not moving around as well as he should.  One of the reason for all th walks is to keep him from laying around and getting stiff.

As to diet, it has been changed a lot over the last couple years.  He no longer gets McDonald's except on a very special occasion.  His moist food is now the casserole style that has both meet and veggies in it, and the dry is now a mix of kibble and beef that is enriched with vitamins.  

We don't' ever get aggressive with him IE hitting or anything.  When he growls at us, we take a firm stance, and at worst have a spray bottle with water that we use. 

We are honestly doing everything we can to take good care of him, just are not sure at this point what else we can do.

Thank You for all your kind and concerned comments.

David

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 1:39am
I'm really impressed Dave, excellent to hear how well he's being taken care of. My hat's off , and I wish you the very best in figuring out and deciding what to do.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 8:50am
Good on the removal Graeme...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 10:12am

We have taken him to the vet to get checked out, he is starting to develop issues with his hip's due to age and is not moving around as well as he should.

Yeah, pain can be a real problem. Pain can cause any of us, dog or human, to become rather grumpy.

Frankie occasionally gets a pinched nerve in her back. Normally she wants to run around outside for hours. Some days though she makes it clear she wants to go home and lay down after only a few blocks/minutes.

Dave, has your vet suggested anything to deal with Duke's discomfort?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic