West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Here’s a Thinker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here’s a Thinker
    Posted: 28 May 2011 at 12:17am

I posted a topic on PFF looking to get some feedback on my
lack of power. Have a look and take a stab at it?

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/116530.html

***EDIT*** On here or PFF. Either is fine.

Cheers

1987 Pontiac Fiero - dropped 2.5 inches - cold air intake - no cat - cherry bomb equipped
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88MPH your gonna see some serious sh*t.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:13am
So the engine ran just fine in the other car and now has low power, right?

So what has changed?

If the engine idles nice and sounds normal I don't think it's a spark issue.  People have already mentioned timing so I won't go there.  If that doesn't change the situation I would suspect fuel.  Check pressure at the Schrader valve.  Maybe swap fuel filter from the "good" car.

Is the air filter clean?  If there is any question then remove the filter for a moment and try it out.

Obviously check for any codes or weird readings from the computer port.

Otherwise, take for a sh*t kicking and then pull over and use your nose.  Do you smell clutch or brake pad?  Really bad brakes could cause problems I suppose.  They would get really hot quickly though.

If the trany was that buggered it would be making noises or shifting badly.

Ok, that's just off the top of my head.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 12:12pm
Yeah I don't think it's spark either but it's just good
practice. I suspect their old. My thought was the fuel.
The pump as far as I know works just fine. I hop in, turn
the key and I hear the pump pressurize the system and
turn the key and voila it starts up right away. I don't
have the "good" car anymore so that's out. If it was the
fuel filter wouldn't it just stop working altogether if
it was bad? Air filter is brand new and the housing,
hollowed out intake muffler and the rubber intake hose to
the TB was cleaned in the parts washer. I did smell a bit
of clutch on my second attempt but I was writing it off
on my steel toed work boots. My brakes haven't even been
bled so their not even making contact with the rotors
(drove without brakes). Was shifting bad but that was
just unadjusted shift linkage to the tranny.
I'll find out what's what on Tuesday. Thanks for the
ideas Dawg ^_^
1987 Pontiac Fiero - dropped 2.5 inches - cold air intake - no cat - cherry bomb equipped
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88MPH your gonna see some serious sh*t.
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 12:16pm
How about the coil?
I had a bad coil that still functioned but had low spark. It made the car sluggish. When I changed it the power difference was remarkable.

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 12:30pm

No FUEL FILTERS fail over time, especially in Fuel Injected cars.  The Pump can produce enormous pressure to overcome a bad filter on startup, however can't sustain anything over 1/2 throttle.  I have seen a semi clogged fuel filter take away as much as 60hp away from a 140hp engine.

If anyone on a Fiero has not changed there fuel filter in over a year or 15,000kms, I can guarantee they will notice a seat of the pant difference in how the car runs.  Its one of the first things I do to any Fiero when I do a tune up on it.  Just because you can hear the pump run, does not mean the fuel is getting to the engine, or at the least just getting enough fuel to fire the motor.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 1:22pm
Thanks guys. More food for thought :)
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 4:23pm
I didn't look at the thread, but it's also CLASSIC partially plugged CAT.

It happened to me!!! When the chunk got loose, I took off and the engine exhaust note dropped an octave. No other symptoms.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 4:27pm
Ok, read it, no CAT. Crap.

I have also had the engine to seem to run ok, while missing the power feed (fuse) to one bank of injectors.

I second the filer deal. If you can, run a fuel pressure guage from the rail to the pass seat. Have a partner check the fuel pressure as you hit it. It should rise!

Chay
86 SE 3.4
86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 4:31pm
I'll do everything else before I start manufacturing fuel
pressure lines leading to the passenger seat. Thanks CFoss
tk_85redgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tk_85redgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 6:36am
My dad had a 88 S10 Blazer with a 2.8 in it and he had the same problem once with it and it was a plugged cat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic