West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4.0 V8 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote tk_85redgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.0 V8 Swap
    Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:54pm

I got a 97 oldsmobile aurora with a 4.0 V8(244 cu in)base of the 4.6 northstar motor.does any 1 know or heard of any 1 doing this swap in a fiero?what i read about these motors is that they are a smaller northstar motor with 250hp and 260 lb.ft.the car has 155000km on it and drives great drove it to pick a part with it,what a nice drive in it.So does any know if it can be done? Tino

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:18pm
Tino, the Olds Aurora is a quite literal race engine (Shelby Series 1, Oldsmobile Aerotech II), and it can take a phenominal amount of power with the stock internals (The CarCraft from March had a Aurora-powered car with two centrifugal superchargers ramming enough air down it's throat to make 560HP, on all stock block and internals). However, as best I can tell, it still suffers from the difficulties of adapting a normal Northstar engine to the Fiero, as it is a rather complex ECU set-up. Can it be done? Certainly. Would it be easy? No.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
tk_85redgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tk_85redgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:16pm
Yes u can make lots of power with these motors.getting the motor i think can be done but the ECU is my consern find some 1 that can reprogram it,this car is fully load with key chip and computer for fuel range,trip counter,distance and you can moniture the oil,oil life,trans oil life and other think all buy push of a button.It is a comlex system on this car so many features.the car has lots of get up and go for a heavy car.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 10:04pm
Well, have you tried searching Pennock's to see the Northstar conversion process? It'll be no different for the Aurora. As for stuff like fuel range, they normally run off a myriad of sensors, some of which don't even exist on a Fiero. Might be better to simply leave those features alone.
tk_85redgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tk_85redgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:41am
Yes i've tryed pennock no luck yet.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:45am
There's no threads about the Northstar on Pennocks?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 10:16am

Originally posted by tk_85redgt tk_85redgt wrote:

Yes i've tryed pennock no luck yet.

That's odd, I did a quick search at Pennock's for Aurora and came up with 62 hits. Must be a couple of those threads dealing with engine swaps.

A quick search for Northstar brings up 660 hits!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic