West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel offsets and spacer plates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

I tried to make it clear to Patrick when I spoke with him that I wasn't even considering what happens when the car is accelerating...

That's true Colby, but I don't recall either one of us (or anyone else involved earlier in the discussion) making an issue out of that in particular.

Yes, but I wasn't sure if I had already made that clear in this topic.

88 Formula 5 speed

Zac88GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zac88GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 7:44pm

I came to my conclusion by taking a look at the simplest case where gravity is the only force (ie. the wheel is off the ground). In this case I feel certain than the wheel with the spacer will be
exerting more torque on the bearing. Despite the end of the wheel ending up in the same spot as the wheel with the proper offset, more of the mass is further away from the bearing than the wheel with no spacer.

Yes the position of the spokes will have an influence on the center of gravity (CG) of the wheel and thus influence some of the dynamic loading that the bearing supports. However, it is insignificant in the grand
scheme of things because of the minimal change in CG, and the wheel only weighs ~15lbs compared to the 750lb corner weight. If you want to take the spoke position into account then you'll need to know what brand of
wheels they are, their center of gravity, their mass moments of inertia, tire weights, tire stiffness and moments of inertia, and a thousand other parameters to model the multi-degree of freedom dynamic system.
Formula 1 engineers "might" consider it but I doubt it.

Your intuition is correct but you need to look at what the greatest forces involved are. The force from the 15lb wheel will act through the center of gravity, where the 750lb force of supporting the car in that
corner will act through the center of the contact patch (the center of the wheel) and not the center of gravity. Hope that helps.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 11:42pm
Thanks for clearing that up. 
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 9:13pm

$75 complete (includes shipping) for spacers 25mm/1" thick. Hubcentric as well.

I finally picked up these 1" spacers from the fella who's address I use in Blaine for any/all of my US eBay orders. Ended up costing $73(Cdn) total for each pair. One pair for me, and one pair for another club member who I'll try and get to show and tell at the meeting.

I like 'em! Nicely made, don't look cheap. Pushes the rear wheels out so that the tires just barely stick out beyond the fender lip. Very manly, good for 3/10's off my next autocross run.

Yeah yeah, I should've taken before and after pictures... but I didn't. So you'll all have to line up in person tomorrow at the club meeting to gawk in amazement.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 9:47pm

Very manly, good for 3/10's off my next autocross run.

Actually, if anything, expect to hit a couple more cones with your rear wheels now.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 10:03pm

Very manly, good for 3/10's off my next autocross run.

Actually, if anything, expect to hit a couple more cones with your rear wheels now.

You'll be having the same issue when you put the wheel on your car with the proper offset.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2011 at 3:54pm

I had a chance to test the wheel spacers last night going and coming back from the club meeting. I'm happy to report that the hub-centric part of them works very well. I didn't go crazy, but I had the duke up to 120 km (for short spurts between congestion on the freeway) and there was no added vibration at all. I'm pleased.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 7:33pm

I had a chance to test the wheel spacers last night going and coming back from the club meeting. I'm happy to report that the hub-centric part of them works very well.
I didn't go crazy, but I had the duke up to 120 km (for short spurts between congestion on the freeway) and there was no added vibration at all. I'm pleased.

Thanks Patrick
Yesterday I installed the wheel spacers on RBS in front to have the wide track look, Fred and I pushed RBS inside the garage and there no vibration and really smooth, RBS is happy

Johnny-B-Good

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Fred and I pushed RBS inside the garage...

Oh no, what did Fred hit this time?!!!  (Inside joke)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic