West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Building 2.8 help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisb99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building 2.8 help?
    Posted: 07 February 2012 at 9:20pm
Hey, haven't posted for a while. I pulled my 2.8 and for
a school project, I am rebuilding the engine. I have
taken every last little part all apart, cleaned, hot
tanked, and magna fluxed. I had my crankshaft polished. I
had my cylinders bored and honed. I bought all new
gaskets, bearings, ect. I'm asking about the cam shaft,
lifters, valves, springs, ect. Since I am replacing all
of it anyways, I may as well go the performance route,
correct? And I work for a parts store, which also has a
machine shop. I get everything for just above cost. Money
isn't a matter to me. I just figure while I'm replacing
it, I may as well spend the extra couple bucks and give
it a little more power. I put my crankshaft in today with
all new bearings, and installed my new pistons onto my
crankshaft today also. I bought a new timing chain set,
water pump, oil pump, and frost plug set. Since my
camshaft has gone missing, along with half of my valves,
springs, keepers ect.. I figure if I will be replacing it
all anyways.. I may as well get performance parts? I am
wondering what set up you guys would suggest? I have the
4-speed manual in it, if that has any value to you guys!
I thought about getting a more aggressive cam, and making
some headers (since the ones on the fierostore are
ridiculously expensive). With buying a bigger cam, will I
have to be concerned with interference? Thanks. Any help
would be appreciated! I'll post pictures as I build it.
Chris Bolster - 1986 Fiero GT
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:44pm

OK a few quick things.

Return your oil pump and if you can get it, get a federal mogul high volume pump. Its not a high pressure pump, its a high volume pump that you want.  Bigger gears in the pump but the same relief pressure. Will keep your 2.8 or 2.9 assuming you went .040-.060 bore.  Trust me if will save your engine in the long run.

Next cam should be at least .420 lift at valve, .280 lobe lift. I went with that on a 1.52 rocker and was unhappy, swapped to a 1.6 rocker and it seemed to wake up.  So I would probably look for a cam around .450 valve lift and then stick to a 1.52 roller tip rocker.  Valves you can go with stock replacements or go big bucks on stainless, but honestly there is not much performance to be gained.

If you are keeping the stock injectors, get an adjustable fuel pressure reg to bump the pressure up, or buy a new set of 17lb injectors.

As for Pistons, I hope you went hypers vs cast, as hyperutectic pistons reduce rotating weight and let you spin the motor a bit higher between shifts, especially important with that 4spd.

Pop over to www.captfiero.com and click on the Fiero stuff for lots of details on my 1st race prepped 2.8.

Oh and be sure to port the exhaust manifolds. It'll be very obvious when you look down each exhaust port where it needs work.  Then get the outside of the port tube welded to the flange.  Properly prepped stock Fiero manifolds will get you within 2hp of headers on a 2.8.  As the stock intake does not flow enough to warrant true headers.  There are aftermarket package's you can buy that include new intake, headers and reprogrammed prom chip for about $1000 if you want to go that route.  If you can take the time to deck the heads .010 that will also help with bottom end torque by increasing the compression ratio.   Oh one last biggie,  I had to buy the V8 set as the speed shop did not have the V6 set, but Lifters, Comp Cam's P# 858-16  They are a fast bleed lifter.  At low rpms they don't pump up all the way, giving you the effect of a mild RV cam getting great torque off idle, and by 3000rpms they fully pump up and give you your full lift on the cam almost changing the engine from a torque motor to a high rev race motor.  They are awesome.  Cost me around $200 for the set but well worth it.  So much so that when I did blow my motor up from too many Nitrous Bottle launches and 7000rpm shifts, that I pulled all the lifters put them back in the box and will have them resurfaced to use on a different 2.8 in my 88GT that will remain stock with a V6. (well not a stock V6, but I won't do an engine swap on it, as I want to get collector plates at some point)

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:58pm
Is this a car you want to keep for a while?

If it's just a project, then I'd use stock stuff.

If you want to upgrade, consider a 3.1L crank if you can find one. It will increase your displacement a bit, and add some torque as a result or increased throw. More info:

http://floridafieros.org/osg/60-degree-V6.html

1.6 ratio rockers or a high lift cam will help a bit. I went to Shadbolt cam in Van for mine, they do good work.

Port the exhaust and intake manifolds(middle and lower), and consider a modified upper plenum, or buy a trueleo intake.

I don't know if airscare is part of your world, be mindfull of too much cam; don't foul your idle hc's! Other will chime in on cam I'm sure.

But, if I were starting to build a car and had any choice of engine I'd use the 3.8, not the 2.8. It may be more work than you have time for though. There are lots of threads on Pennocks about this. The 2.8 will never even make the 200 stock hp that the n/a 3.8 has (maybe with $$$$$$), let alone a sc or turbo model, plus way better fuel economy. And, it bolts up to the existing tranny.

Having said that a lot of people are fine with the output of a juiced up 2.8/3.1/3.4.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 11:01pm
1 more thing....the crossover tube is supposed to have a big pinch point in it too. People cut it open and re-weld it (Mine is gone...going turbo).

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 8:27am
Too late for him to go 3.1 etc -- already hung his pistons, installed crank etc!

Besides, you need different pistons for the 3.1 etc route (which he of course already has); though the rods are the same.

Did you make sure to put the O-ring under the rear main cap?  It's easy to not see it's there in the first place.

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 10:22am
It's tough to go back once you've started!

Chrisb99, hope you project goes well. It will probably be a good runner, if no the most powerful Fiero out there. They are still pretty fun when they are 'right'.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
chrisb99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisb99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 7:38pm
I noticed after installing my bearings that the front main
bearing sticks out.. It's lined up with the tangs, but it
just doesn't look right to me. Let me know what you guys
think please! Thanks
250.jpg">

I ordered my upper valve train today, so I will have
pictures of that up soon! If you have any advice or tips,
please let me know!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 8:52pm

I was going through my old video's today and figured that this would be an appropriate place to post these.

These are from when I was running my 2.9 Fiero. The rear tires are huge 245/50/16's and I could still put them up in smoke at will.

http://captfiero.com/videos/mycar/captsride.wmv

How bout Beyond Red-line. She would do, 105kph, (about 65mph) in 2nd gear. It was a blast being able to hit the highway and still be clearing 2nd gear. 6500-7000rpm shifts in a push rod Fiero engine was a lot of fun.

http://captfiero.com/videos/mycar/highrev2.wmv

If you get really board, pop over to www.captfiero.com/videos for tons of video footage.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 9:11pm
Try posting that picture of your bearings again.
I think they're only selling the 3.1 bearings now, which were wider in the front, but usable on both.
What part number did you get?
chrisb99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisb99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Try posting that picture of your
bearings
again.I think they're only selling the 3.1 bearings now,
which were wider in the front, but usable on both.What
part
number did you get?

It's not letting me upload the picture, I've tried and
tried again.. Here's a link to a website that I posted
the picture though..

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz3wjzpfrK1qmeenjo1_500
.jpg
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 6:19pm

Nope didn't work.  I am betting you are using Chrome or Firefox arn't you.  I know Chrome has issues with posting pics.

email it to capt@captfiero.com and I'll post it for you.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 9:00pm
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2012 at 7:06am
As long as the tangs line up, and you got the top and bottom ones the right way around (!!!!!), I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd only be concerned if it poked out the other way, and might interfere with a throw.

If the machine shop took out your block plugs (oil), make sure they all went back in.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic