West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote furious_fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Question?
    Posted: 13 February 2007 at 12:44pm

my clutch gets really loose when I drive on the hwy...but when in the city it gets harder. When I first bought the car, I had to put clutch brake fluid in the clutch thingy. I have kept it filled up. I know there may be a leak...but why does my clutch go soft at higher speeds, but harder in the city?

'86 Fiero GT Blacked Out!
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 1:40pm
Most likely it is being caused by a worn out pressure plate.  As the engine heats up and transfers heat to the fingers in the pressure plate, the metal flexes more and the clutch becomes light due to the flex.  It also becomes harder to shift the as the metal fingers on the pressure plate are no longer moving to release pressure as far.  I have seen this happen on more than a few Fiero's especially ones using the Dyno Pack OEM clutch kits.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
furious_fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote furious_fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:24pm

Know anyone that I can take it to get fixed?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:35pm
Well you can make do with it until the clutch disc burns out, or get a complete new clutch installed.  The most reasonably priced place was Mr. Clutch on Kingsway.  I don't recall but I thought it was around $800 for a re and re of the clutch including parts. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote furious_fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:49pm
apparently the clutch is fairly new. Can I make due with it?...or should I just get the clutch redone?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 5:30pm
I would just run with it, until it gets bad enough to warrant the 800 for a club job.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote furious_fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 1:40am
Ill run it probably til June unless it gets really bad....then Ill just have to replace it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 8:20pm

Nigel just got his clutch done, I think it is Mr. Transmission, Near 104th and King George, I think at the corner of 104th and Whally Ring Road.

Had the entire clutch replaced, flywheel re-surfaced, 2 new motor mounts and a new master installed, total parts, labour and tax was about $1100  The clutch job was going to be $699 but all the extra parts they found that needed to be done added up.   If you notice the Fiero out front with the plate "DEVERS" he is the shop forman and a really nice Fiero guy.  He has helped me with several tranny issues.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic