West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

clutch problems, could use some insight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote reidzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch problems, could use some insight
    Posted: 13 August 2013 at 3:51pm
i have a 1985 fiero gt 4 speed that's having what I think to be clutch problems but im unsure. I replaced the clutch approx. 3000 kms ago.

I backed out of my driveway fine then went to first gear until I hit a stop sign. I took it out of gear and sat there till I could turn and when I went to put it into gear it just wouldn't go, so I tried putting it into reverse and it just grinded then stalled the car. and just wouldn't start up after it wouldn't even turn over.

I brought it back to my garage and first started looking into why it wouldn't start. I jumped the starter and it would start but still wouldn't go into gear. so then I tried jumping one of two switched underneath the clutch pedal and it started again but still wouldn't go into gear. I then replaced the slave cylinder and re-bled the system, jumped one of those switches again to start it but it still wont go into gear.

so my question is why wont it go into gear and why wont it start unless I jump it? oh and I should add that it will shift into gears fine when the car is off but when I get the car running it wont go into any gears
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 7:08pm

I'll start this off, but i'm sure there will be a lot more (well educated) help coming. My thoughts are that the clutch isn't releasing the pressure from the clutch plate, thus you can't get it into gear while running. If at that point you shut off the car and it can be placed into gear, that I believe would define the answer I have given. I have done clutches in other cars but not on a Fiero yet ( I hope not to have to) so I feel for you. You should get some more answers from others on the post shortly.

Regards

Fieroman88

Fieroman88
reidzap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote reidzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 9:23pm
ive already done it before lol 3000kms ago.. not a good time so im just trying to get some good feedback before I take on that task again. thanks for the feedback!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 10:33pm

Yes, I read that. (3000k ago)  I talked to The Captain and he will probably be answering your post. Could the shift fork have bent or dis-lodged. Really, if the gears are shifting without the engine running, and not when it is, that is some indication it is in the pressure plate, or throw out bearing. (I'd suspect) Not good news I know. As far as starting, I only know of the Neutral switch on the clutch, that could cause that issue. I am going to go out on a limb here, but theroretically, If the wheels were off the ground, with the car running, and the wheels could be turning, even a little bit, if it went into gear at that point it would ( to me) indicate clutch rather than anything else. Hope this is some help. Sorry to hear about your problem. PS did you bleed the slave by raising the front of the car, opening the port on the slave and without pumping it bleed it by gravity. (and adding as it went down)  It worked best for me. Also the earlier models easily had issues with bending throw out bearing forks. (So I'm told)

Regards

Edited by Fieroman88
Fieroman88
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 10:41pm
Check for fuses blown under the dash the-Starting problem.there are two -INLINE-fuses in the ENG bay, By the battery,the big Red wires
that come out of the black box.they have bulges 2" or so down the
wire,thats the fuse an its inline,check for power on both lines.
on the far side of the bulge with a tester,light bulb one with
a point on it,stab the wire an it should light up,No key on needed.
its Hot all the time.its part of the main power supply for the car.
the clutch is an other story,maby some one else will jump in
here.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 11:59pm
I went through 3 clutches in my first 3 years with the my car. The stock GM clutch has a problem. I am of the opinion the GM clutch bearing is underspec'd. I usually hear a thud and the clutch is gone. Could be anything.

I have had a Luk clutch in my 85SE (V6) since and have not had a any problem though the clutch is not as hard grabbing as the original GM clutch. Not sure which clutch you are using right now.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2013 at 12:39pm
Make sure the driver side of the car is slightly higher than the passenger side and the nose is higher than the rear. You can do this by just simply using the stock jack. When you jack up the driver side of the car, the front wheel will come up first, keep jacking until it just starts to leave the ground. Then open the bleed screw and remove it completely on the slave and top of the master. Now grab a beer and a smoke and relax. Just keep an eye on the master and make sure it to top it up if it gets lower than half way.

Do this for about 20 mins. You can aid the bleed by taking a metal wrench and taping on the side of the slave to make sure there are no bubbles sticking to the inside.

Now put the bleed screw back in, lower the car and test the pedal. It should feel really good.

Ok that should make the bleed problem a non issue.

Now test that you can put it in gear with the engine running.
           Oops Forgot, just jump that damn Clutch Pedal Safety switch and tuck it out of the way I hate them. Just remember that the car can now be fired up in gear. So always grab the shifter and give it shake before you try and start it, or make dang sure to have your foot on the clutch pedal.

Alright now that she is fireable. See if it will go in gear. If it will great you are done. If Not, get a helper to step on the pedal while you watch the slave cylinder, look for flex, if the slave is flexing more than a 1/4 inch, you need to look for loose bolts or cracked slave bracket. A Cracked slave bracket is fairly common on the 4spd cars, I am sure someone on here has one, if you can't find one, I can arrange to have to one set aside for you at my place in Canada. (I am in the US right now)   

If the slave is solid and does not move, all the air is out of the system, and you still can't shift, I hate to say it but its time to pull the trans.   

One last thing as an outside chance though, is the bent pedal issue. Some Clutch Pedals can be pent, if your clutch pedal is not at least even if not an inch higher than the brake pedal you have a bent pedal. I think the Fiero store sells replacements.   

David your US Fiero Guy.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
reidzap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote reidzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2013 at 10:15am
awesome thanks for the info guys! im gunna get back to work on it I a week or so and will tell you how it goes
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2013 at 6:38pm
Anytime. Your welcome. Let us know how you make out.
Fieroman88
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2013 at 2:02pm
One thing you should check given your symptoms is a bent clutch pedal and or master pushrod.

If the pedal was not travelling far enough, it would cause the clutch to not release, and the clutch switch to not make, not allowing the starter to be engaged.

The clutch pedal is a known weak point. Rodney Dickman sells steel ones. I got one after having to repeatedly bending my pedal to get the clutch to work.

Hope that helps.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic