West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 Fiero w/ AC -- Serpentine Squeal!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 Fiero w/ AC -- Serpentine Squeal!
    Posted: 16 November 2013 at 12:16pm
Hello,

Just recently, whenever I turn my car on, there is a HUGE unrelenting squeal coming from what I believe to be the serpentine belt. In fact, when I open my hood, I see smoke coming from that belt, precisely at the pulley section. When I checked the belt, it still has those grooves on it and still looks pretty darn new, so I'm wondering what the problem may be, I suspect it's the pulley.

Any ideas on what it may be and how I should approach this? I've been googling Fiero serpentine belt issues but I haven't come across any good searches.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2013 at 12:32pm

The 84's never came with a serpentine belt.

Just what year/engine do you have there?

InfernoFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2013 at 12:52pm
Hello,

I'm sure it's a 1984 Fiero with the 2.5 L engine, but it's the one that has the A/C unit included. I thought it was the serpentine belt. This is the belt that goes from my alternator pulley to another pulley. This belt is fairly visible and is to the right of the engine! Oh... The Accessory belt? It must be that!

I sprayed my electronic grease killer spray -- this was the recommended product for dealing with belt squeals at NSAP -- and there are no squeals any longer.

Edited by InfernoFiero
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2013 at 1:06pm

84's came with V-belts.

InfernoFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2013 at 12:37pm
Thanks Patrick, upon closer inspection I saw that the V belt was less than stellar shape. After having that replaced, all is well now. 
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2013 at 2:31pm

Originally posted by InfernoFiero InfernoFiero wrote:

...all is well now.

Glad to hear.

Yeah, as long as the pulleys are clean (non-corroded) and the adjustment is good, a new belt should rectify the problem.

The real test will be after the car has sat for hours in the pouring rain and started up cold. If the belt doesn't squeal, you're golden.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic