West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3.8 s/c engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3.8 s/c engine swap
    Posted: 02 January 2014 at 11:27am
Have a 85 4 cyl Fiero and a 2001 Grand Prix GTP (3800 s/c) that will soon be donating its heart. My question is..... I know there are aftermarket engine and trans mounts available, however is using the existing mounts off the Grand Prix an option or am I under estimating the project? I figured since I have the entire Grand Prix to pull parts from.....why not.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 1:10pm
I believe most of the people who have made the swap have
used the existing Fiero cradle.

Many have also used the Fiero transmission, but I have read
of a few who have used a more modern transmission and the
associated extra work to go with getting all that in.

Others on this forum may chime in with more detail.    

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 2:42pm
Depending on which transmission you go with, the stock fiero mount will usually work, including with the auto that would come in the GTP. Not sure about the stock GTP trans mounts though.

I don't know of anyone using the GTP engine mount, but I don't think it would work. I used a modified engine mount from a 3800 powered pontiac trans sport minivan / cehvy lumina van.

-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Alan B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 4:59pm
The plan is to use the 4T65eHD from the GTP. The Fiero getting the upgrade is an automatic car, I also have a 84 4 speed Fiero as an additional parts source.
Alan B
Sherwood Park A.B.
Alan B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2014 at 10:34am

1985 2m4 fully loaded...100% rust free, never winter driven...or so the story goes....

1984 2m4....willing to give whatever is required without complaining.

Edited by Alan B
Alan B
Sherwood Park A.B.
Alan B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2014 at 10:38am

2000 Grand Prix GTP 3800 s/c ......signed it's donor card before it hit the deer.

Edited by Alan B
Alan B
Sherwood Park A.B.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic