West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Performance Driving
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corvette Club autocross - Sat, Aug 9th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2014 at 12:37pm

Sorry, no entertaining narration this time. No spectacular spins. Just some fine driving.

Watch video in 3D or 2D - Best time - BCCC autocross Aug 9, 2014

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Sorry, no entertaining narration this time. No spectacular spins. Just some fine driving.

Watch video in 3D or 2D - Best time - BCCC autocross Aug 9, 2014

You don't sound so impressed with your fine driving at the end of that video.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2014 at 10:21pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

You don't sound so impressed with your fine driving at the end of that video.

I was just frustrated that I had come so close to my goal of breaking 50 seconds.

I've got something special to post tonight. Stay tuned!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2014 at 11:12pm

While I was in the starting grid waiting for my 4th run in the morning, Peter Dombrowski from the Corvette Club came up to me and asked if he could attach his GoPro camera to my Formula. I said "Sure" and he stuck it on the rear clip above the belt line.

It's a very interesting angle. Within the frame you can see many things, including my ugly mug in the side-view mirror (sorry everyone ), my hands on the steering wheel, the track of course... and most importantly, the front wheel. I'm serious, being able to see the front wheel clearly while buzzing around the track is fascinating. I never knew the wheels went up and down so much! This has got to be one of the best autocross videos I've ever watched. You really get a sense of the speed from this angle.

I asked Peter to post the video. He kindly obliged.

And one more thing... the audio is great! Listen to that angry beast.  Crank up the volume!

Peter's video of me - Interesting camera angle - BCCC autocross Aug 9, 2014

All those little "ticks" you hear are pebbles being tossed at the camera by the tires.

Edited by Patrick
AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 11:56am
Cool vid.

With tires in mind, check out Ross' video on tires.

Video link

Edited by AllanJ
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 5:29pm
Nice angle Patrick!. Informative video Al!

Patrick, i found this old cell phone picture. i think this is the day it all began... it just just a friendly visit...

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 6:43pm

Originally posted by karnak karnak wrote:

Patrick, i found this old cell phone picture. i think this is the day it all began... it just just a friendly visit...

Yep, almost exactly four years ago to the very day... as discussed HERE.

That's Brian walking the other way... and Colby looking after Frankie while I was going for a spin with someone (maybe Gary) as a passenger. Frankie is now 13 years old and still going strong. Colby is now 23 years old and about to go to Saskatoon.

I remember how much I wished I could've driven that day. It was extremely frustrating to just be a spectator.

Great memories!

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 7:33pm

Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

Cool vid.

With tires in mind...

Al, would you say that at the 28 second mark I had hit the brakes a split second too late, as it appears that I had already (just barely) started the left turn. I'm thinking that possibly the weight started to shift just enough to the passenger side of the car to "lighten" the driver's side tire a bit.

Is that how you would interpret the puff of smoke from the front tire at that point? Or did I simply just hit the brakes too hard for an instant? (It's a very short puff of tire smoke.)

Edited by Patrick
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 8:09pm
It's just a guess, but I think your rear brakes aren't working as well as they should. If your rear brakes were grabbing more, that would allow the rear tires to do some of the work the front tires are currently doing, and you'd end up stopping just as quickly without overloading the front tires like that.

Comparing to my car, and having driven them both, there's no way I'd lock my front tires like that in that situation. The only other difference I can think of is that those Kumhos just don't grip as well in that direction.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 8:21pm

It's just a guess, but I think your rear brakes aren't working as well as they should.

I dunno about that. I only locked up a front tire once in the video (that I'm aware of)... and I really hammered on the brakes in the stop box with no issues.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 9:09pm
You're braking 100% in a straight line then. It's a little easier to control in that situation, because the front tires aren't already being utilized somewhat for cornering. But you'd know the state of your brakes better than me. I don't remember what you ended up doing with the brakes to get them roadworthy.

If it's a trait of the tire, you should be able to find someone next event with the same tires and see if they experience the same thing.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 9:20pm

I don't remember what you ended up doing with the brakes to get them roadworthy.

Your dad and I flushed the system/bled them. That's it. Before next year's series of autocross events, I plan to at least remove the calipers and lube the sliders, and if necessary, replace the pads.

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 10:40pm
It's hard to say, Patrick. It could also have something to
do with the pavement conditions. There are several ruts as
well so all it takes is losing a bit of that valuable small
tire patch, either through weight transfer or pavement
contours to reduce traction when the brakes are applied.

Keep an eye on it for more clues. Maybe include a second
camera so you can see if it's both front tires locking up
or just one.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 3:30pm

Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

It could also have something to do with the pavement conditions. There are several ruts as well...

I was amazed at the 57 second mark how much the tire/wheel dropped and then was immediately slammed upwards. That was a lot of travel, due strictly to the uneveness of the track surface.

I'm really interested now in making some sort of a protective housing (or at least a face plate) for my Sony camera so as to mount it outside the car. And if necessary, I'll use a second device to record quality audio not being distorted by wind noise (and then combine the two sources during editing). I love that camera angle, although I'd like to fine tune it a bit and have the horizon a lot more level.

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:55pm

There were finally some images posted at the BCCC site. This one is my favorite. You can see the two people with the PDM Racing car sizing up their stiffest competition... that rumbling red Fiero.

Edited by Patrick
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 9:16pm
ya.. they want to know why that guy doesn't have is lucky driving sneakers on. 

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by karnak karnak wrote:

ya.. they want to know why that guy doesn't have his lucky driving sneakers on. 

Heh heh... I must remember to never again drive the course with my sandals on.

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 9:29pm
lol.. exactly...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic