West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glowing exshast and high idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Youngster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glowing exshast and high idle
    Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:52pm
I have a 85 gt 4 speed fiero and just recently when I was driving my idle jumped up to 2000-2500. I have no vacume leeks I can find I used propane and pressurised th intake to no avail.
I do have exhaust leaks some pretty bad but they where there before the issue. It's not a cloged cat I disconnected it to see. I put a new egr valve on a month ago. Definitely a lean problem I just don't know enough about these cars I have only had it for 2 months now. Any help would be great thanks
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 6:00am
More than likely its a cracked EGR pipe.   Kinda a pain to change but it can be done with the plenium still on the car.  Easiest if you have a 10mm swivel head ratchet wrench.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 11:10am
Hi I had the same thing,drove me Nuts!Just by fluke! I found it,Same thing,No Vac leeks,Check
Every thing 10 X over? Spent so much time an $,in the end---It was my plug wires.Fired it
Up one Evening,Dark out,an seen it!! My plug wires were Trace/Arcing all over,looked like Starwars,
Hard to see at first,a little mist ,spray(Water)will help to see the Arcs,, Do an Oms,, on your wires.
,maby that's it.Like Dave said all so--EGR is all so one to check.an Fuel SYS to.
Good luck
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
Youngster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Youngster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 10:04pm
Thanks for the help ended up being that. It was partly masked by the heat blanket around it being sucked in. Now I just have to find one to replace it with. Also 2 of my wires didn't have crimps on them so i will need those too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic