West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automatic trans support bracket removable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote waynrayn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automatic trans support bracket removable?
    Posted: 06 February 2019 at 2:53pm
Hi there:

I'm over in Victoria, on the island...

I have a 2.5L 87 SE, in great shape overall.

I'd like to replace the transmission side cover gasket, the TCC solenoid, and the 3rd gear pressure switch all at the same time.

I've put the car up on jack stands, and supported the tranny underneath with a 3.5 ton lift. So I don't think it's going anywhere.

However, the big support bracket on the driver side of the tranny is fighting me, although comments in some forums indicate that this is removable if the trans is supported.

I've removed the driver side rear wheel, and the shroud, so I can see it.

But with the two lines going through the hole in the left side of the bracket:

... This really limits options. I'd prefer to avoid draining, as I just did a flush. Is there any practical way of getting this big bracket out of the way enough to access the trans side cover?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks very much,

Wayne
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 11:21am
I have added your question on our Facebook group page as well as one of the Fiero groups on Facebook.  Hope you get an answer that works out.  

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
waynrayn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote waynrayn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 11:27am
That's great, thanks very much.

~W~
waynrayn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote waynrayn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 3:04pm
I found a partial answer to my own question.

This tip was in a presentation for removing a V-6 engine:

... So this gets the lines out of the way for me. As I detach them, I can thread them out of the bracket hole before I loop them.

These are coolant lines for trans fluid, not engine coolant (which I didn't realize; I'm learning a lot). Since I have already drained the tranny, little can be left at this point in the hoses while I do it.

This still leaves the problem of maneuvering the big tranny bracket itself out. Any suggestions here appreciated.

The link for this downloadable V-6 presentation, with many useful tips, is found here.

Regards,

Wayne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic