West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home ยป Buy / Sell ยป Engines / Transmissions and Related Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interracial Engine Transplant?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interracial Engine Transplant?
    Posted: 20 February 2007 at 10:50am

A friend just sent me some information on a Honda Vtec engine from a Prelude.

There are Japanese power trains for my GTS & the 90 Accord. This one is in Toronto, but there are a couple of local dealers, has to be install by a garage mechanic for the warranty, 1 month for Vtec and 3 months non vtec. A heck of a lot cheaper then a 205 hp TSX.

A JDM H22A DOHC V-TEC ENGINE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HONDA
Click to enlarge

A JDM H22A DOHC V-TEC ENGINE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HONDA
[H22A]

Product is in stock
Click here to get shipping cost.       
 https://www.tigerjapanese.com/images/pixel_trans.gif  

$990.00         Add to Cart    

https://www.tigerjapanese.com/images/m37.gif  

Item Description

• IMPORTED FROM JAPAN
• Make: Honda
• Engine Code: H22A
• Year: Honda Prelude 92-95
• Valve Train: DOHC, VTEC, 16 Valve,
• Horse Power: 200hp@6800rpm
• Transmission: Automatic
• Torque: 161@5500rpm
• Redline: 8200rpm
• Displacement: 2157cc
• Mileage: Approximately 25-35 Thousand Miles
• Condition: Best
• Included: Complete Motor
Complete Head & Block
Distributor, Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold, Alternator
Power Steering Pump
Fuel Rail, Injectors
Throttle Body, V-TEC Solenoid,
Automatic Transmission, Starter

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 11:40pm

Ken I hate being a hater, but somebody has got to reply.  I can't be the only one thinking this.

The motor is twice the cost of other swaps. (I got my 4.9 complete starter, alternator, fuel injection ECM and wiring) from a state side shop for $550

All parts were easy location, and buy online.

I got 220hp and 290-300lbs of torque.  The torque amount alone would eat a Honda Powered Fiero and spat it back out.

If your idea is not for the sheer performance of it, and more for the much higher tech and frankly a better engine than most domestics. I will give ya that and you can even get good gas mileage.    The car should be moderately quick and get 30mpg.   Kinda like the person that was going to throw a Turbo Diesel motor into a base coupe 4 banger car and see just how good of gas mileage you could get out of it.  I think they had estimates of 45mpg.   

However for me, a bigger motor, is a better motor.   When you run out of room, Boost the Hell out of it.   If the new super car listed on the episode of Top Gear, (can't remember the name) However top speed was 275mph (440kph) can do those insane speeds making 1100hp. Yes eleven hundred hp, from a big motor and several turbos.  There is no reason people can't built a mild turbo SBC and make 600hp daily drivable and street able.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 4:04pm

No problem, Dave.   I fully understand that a GM V8 is usually a physically smaller unit, though sometimes heavier and makes great gobs of power and torque for the money.   Actually, the small block also has a lower centre of gravity.

However, there are those not in position to find a low cost used V8 and if rebuilding an engine could cost a few thou.  So finding a Japanese engine that might turn their car into a Frankenstein of sort is something they might try.  I'm not a much of a fan of Hondas myself but I do know of many who like the way they build power.  My opinion is that they lack torque in the driveable range.  Note that this motor only makes 161lbs of torque way up at 5500rpm.

I didn't know how much you paid for your engine, but rebuilding my 2.8 was going to cost me quite a bit more than that Honda engine.  I think Craker quoted me about $2400 to rebuild my engine to be just mildly stronger than stock.

Wished I knew how to find the bargains like you

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 4:25pm

I have rebuilt or had rebuilt a total of 5, 2.8 V6's.   If you do the labor yourself and your block does not need to be bored out, you can rebuild a 2.8 for about $400.   Thats the cost of bearings, rings and gaskets.

That is re-using your pistons, lifters, crank, rods and cam.  If you want new parts in your motor you can add about $1000 for parts, machining and assembly. 

Now if you can do all your own labor you save a ton.  Labor on a complete Remove, dismantle, rebuild and re-install is about 40hrs.   Even a cheap shop rate of $50 that would be $2000.   

For the record, my car ran 15.2 with a modded 2.9 hyperutectic pistons, molly rings and all sorts of other goodies.  I blew the motor, did a cheapo rebuild with a used block, stock pistons cheap rings, re-used my performance cam and lifters. 

Took the car out to the track and ran 15.0.   The motor however only lasted 12 months of abuse before I lost another bearing. 

After building so many 2.8's and one 2.9 and they seem to become unreliable around 200hp and 200lbs of torque I decided to better spend my money on a big motor that I did not have to beat on it to get acceptable performance for daily driving.  The caddy motor did it for me.  

The total cost of converting from a 2.8 4spd to a 4.9 5spd was just a tick over $3000   That price includes every nut, bolt, hose clamp and even the fuel cost of driving to go and get the motor in Washington.  I have an excel spreadsheet of all the parts if you want to see the real cost of a conversion.

As for being able to find good deals, all you have to do is look around. There is an online database of wrecking yards and who has what, I can't remember the link off hand or I would post it.   

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
2Doped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2Doped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 5:48pm

I myself am not a fan of Honda but believe that japanese engines are intresting. I understand that a GM engine swap would both be cost and time efficient compared to a Japanese swap but with gas and enviromental issues appearing on headlines I would feel a bit guilty and ashamed. So I'd much rather see a Nissan engine put in, either the sr20det or the ca18det either one in my opinion would be more than powerful enough. Just my two cents tho.

-Dopey

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 8:33pm
I love the tech in the import engines, it is absolutly awesome what they manage to get out of them, but it is just so hard to get good ol north amercian torque out of a small displacment engine.   Boost helps, but with boost no matter how you cut it, you can't get the right off idle power you get from a big engine.    Don't get me wrong, 600hp Turbo 1.6l Honda motor will make a much faster car than a 200hp Caddy motor, but I just love the feeling of yanking me into the seat starting at 800rpms. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
2Doped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2Doped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 8:49pm
There's no arguing about a good powerful roar from the domestic engines! But it would be insane to see one of the engines i mentioned in these cars! The sr20 comes bout 200 stock and ca18 came in 135 n/a its in my opinion a better alternative to honda engines>>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic