West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shift Console

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shift Console
    Posted: 05 May 2008 at 9:56pm

So my boots broken, my knobs cracked, the plastic cover is broken, and my window switches got fried by the previous owners drink, smells like beer :(

so ive started the planning for my new one heres a quick Paint mock up

Heres the window switches

Heres the shift boot and ring from Bob Drake part no. HR-7244-S

Heres the Shift knob from hurst

Only thing I still have to figure out is what material to make the base plate out of... suggestions?

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 10:08pm
I made something similar years ago out of a plate of aluminum I had laying around.  Did a brushed finish on it, then painted it black (don't leave it bare aluminum - the reflection off it from the sun blinded me! - I painted it the next day). You'll want to do something custom for the shifter surround as well (the part that always curls up at the edges!).  Good project for woodwork class - then cover it with vinyl/leather (etc).

If you want to save a buck on those switches (I'm sure they're nice - and spendy!) LMK.  I made up a set of switches using push buttons and relays for a car I did.  Works really well, and cost about $20.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:38pm
Looks great man...I may take you up on the switch details John
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 9:08am
I'm doing the same thing now (using Viper ring and boot), the material for base plate is plastic painted silver
same as my console, and yes I'll be wearing sun glasses!

Edited by Car-2-Lo
Johnny-B-Good

handyron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote handyron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 9:31pm
this is off topic but would you like a new drivers seat, looks like I've got the exact one you need, car only had 10,000 km on it I think it will clean up really nice
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 1:51am

Ron, check the posting dates in this thread. I don't think Roadfury has posted anywhere in the forum since last September or so.

handyron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote handyron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 7:07am
right you are, thanks feel dumb much...........yah
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 10:50am

Hey, you were just trying to be helpful. Nothing wrong with that!

marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:05am

handy ron

give me the details on your seats

Marcel

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
handyron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote handyron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 7:57am
I've only got the drivers seat actually. I cleaned it up the other day,  the backrest and the foam base is perfect condition because the car it came from only had 10,500km. It has a few small tears in the seat base, not too noticeable but the seat base fabric is a bit weak from being exposed to the elements with the door removed for a while,  when I cleaned it with hot water and a wet dry vacuum, I noticed that if I worked at it too vigorously, the  suction from the vacuum, could tend to tear it at the seams.  I'm open to offers.....Ron.........
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic