West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

clutch fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch fluid
    Posted: 06 July 2008 at 10:44pm

Hey all, what type of fluid do you use for the clutch, is it the same as the transmission fluid (GM sychromesh)? its a 87 GT 5speed by the way. 

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i cant seem to find the answer in my hanes manual anywhere. 

thanks,

Ryan

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2008 at 11:09pm

It uses brake fluid.  Regular old dot 3.  Don't put in Dot 4.  People have used ATF in the past, if your entire clutch hydraulics are shot and you are replacing on replacing everything.  However I repeat don't use DOT4 unless you are replacing everything and converting to DOT4, and don't use ATF unless you are replacing everything soon.  ATF will eventually destroy your clutch hydraulics, and DOT4 won't mix with DOT3, so in short.  Just fill it with DOT3.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic