West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Volt Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FieroGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volt Light
    Posted: 19 October 2008 at 8:58pm
Hey, its me again. My car has decided to give me one problem per week
now. My Volt light by my voltage gauge wont go off when I'm driving. Also
my volt gauge is now reading lower than before, but still in the good zone.
It used to always read near the upper edge of the good area. The car starts
fine, runs, all electrics work fine. But when I use my turn signals, they go a
little slower, and the windows go up and down slower too. I don't think its
running off the battery because it ran fine for at least an hour after this.
Does anybody know what could be causing this? Thanks. I have an
appointment to have this looked at tomorrow morning.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2008 at 9:16pm
1 of 2 things, alternator is on the way out, (they are not simply a work or don't work item, they can go out slowly) Or you have ground issues.   If you know enough about the cars to figure out grounds, then try that first, if not, take it to a shop, and let them play with it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2008 at 11:53pm
1) buy a cheap voltmeter (Less than $20 at cdn tire, or as expensive as you like)

2) With the car off, take a voltage measurement at the battery

3) Crank up the car, run to about 2k rpm and remeasure voltage

If the voltage is less in 3) than 2), your alt is shot. If 3) is greater than 2), then you have a grounding issue in the lamp circuit and your alt is ok.

It could also be a very loose belt allowing the altenator to slip. this will produce all the same traits as a failing alt. It may or may not be accompanied by belt squeal.

From the symptoms you have described you are living on borrowed time. I suspect your alt is shot and your good battery is supporting all the car's electrical load...The voltage on your battery will continue to diminish until it dies completely. then, you need a new alt and a new battery won't be far behind. If you don't have the means, this is a 5 minute check for a car shop, and you shouldn't be charged for some 'charging system' check or some such bs that they always try to ding you $50 for.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
88FieroGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FieroGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2008 at 5:20pm

Hey guys. All fixed now. At the shop where I work, we did a systems check and found it was the alternator. It turns out it was the original one from factory. We had one heck of a time getting it off, even an impact gun wasn't loosening the top bolt. Once we got it off we put on one from JB. All in all it was $150 total. Now to wait for the next problem. Thanks for the help guys.

Jordan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic