West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas pedal has weird feel to it...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas pedal has weird feel to it...
    Posted: 06 November 2008 at 1:59pm
I was working on my Heater core yesterday, and today, my gas pedal has a weird feel to it (i dont know if there is any relation, but i thought id mention it anyways. Also, the heater core is the non-AC version, so it was removed from the front compartment), it feels like there is a few inches of travel before it will do anything. With it in neutral, i can push in like 1-2" before it will rev. Also, it feels a little harder to press. What would cause these issues?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 2:28pm

Similar thing happened to me when I was working on my engine and had the upper plenum off.

I was convinced I had somehow disconnected the throttle cable at the pedal end (even though I wasn't working in that area).

Turned out I had reattached the cables on the throttle body incorrectly when I reassembled the upper plenum.

Edited by Patrick
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 2:34pm
i wasn't working on the engine though, only up front... does the cable run by the area where the heater core is?
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 2:40pm
Nope the gas pedal (throttle) cable, goes from the pedal directly to the center hump between the seats. Never goes near the front compartment. Maybe it feels wierd becuase you are not getting stoned from the Antifreeze vapours anymore.   Put some Lloyds Moovit, on the cable at the TB and under the pedal area.   Also check to see if any floor mats or other stuff has rolled up under the pedal.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 2:43pm

I believe it runs up through the center console, but I don't know how you'd mess it up while dealing with the heater core.

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 7:09pm
Hmm, ok, i think it is the cable seizing up a little, i can jiggle the pedal a bit. It feels like there is slack in the cable or something. That stuff you mentioned, its just like penetrating oil right? 
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 6:03pm
How do i get to the cable end by the gas pedal? 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 6:25pm
Your not going to get many replies. we are all at the club meeting
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 6:44pm
Ah, gotcha. Ok, when you get a chance.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 6:49pm
Its freaking cold out here.......
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 11:06pm
lol, everything go good at the meet?  If i didn't make plans, i would have come out.. maybe someone could have helped me fix my stereo lol :P  Anywho, my pedal is much better now, i just put a bunch of penetrating oil on the cable by the throttlebody and it moves freely now.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 11:34pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Its freaking cold out here.......

I actually thought it was quite mild.

However, with the days getting shorter and the clock being turned back an hour since the last meeting, it sure was DARK.

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:24am
How do i get to the cable end by the gas pedal?

The answer is, with some dificulty, depending on what you're after.

The cable runs up through a rubber gromet in the firewall behind the center console , then up the center of the car, underneath the power window switches/shifter area. The sheath terminates in a plastic push in clip fastener thing (Pushes in from the rear). This is located below and forward of the shift stick trim (Roughly below the radio). You have to remove the shifter stuff to get to it. To remove the cable, squeeze the tabs together and pull back. I found this to be difficult because of the cramped space.

Anyway, the rest of the cable continues towards the front of the car, loops from right to left around the section below, forward and left of the radio, and terminates in the gas pedal assembly. You can remove the pedal and get to the end of the cable that way, but to get any eyes on where it goes into the main sheath you have to take the center console area apart.

Having said all that, have you removed the cable from the throttle body and made sure it's not sticking? The throttle cable change is a crappy job.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:57am
Check a few posts up

"Anywho, my pedal is much better now, i just put a bunch of penetrating oil on the cable by the throttlebody and it moves freely now."

Thanks for the writeup though
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 11:05am

Glad to hear it, and glad you didn't have to do the change.

Sticky throttle is not a good feeling eh?

Chay

86 SE 3.4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic