Print Page | Close Window

3400 Heads

Printed From: West Coast Fieros
Category: Technical Topics Forum
Forum Name: Build Threads
Forum Description: A Place to post step by step build threads.
URL: http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1683
Printed Date: 28 April 2024 at 1:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 3400 Heads
Posted By: Romeo
Subject: 3400 Heads
Date Posted: 16 January 2010 at 7:41pm

Just went to pick-a-part today to pick up cylinder heads for school. Spotted a 3.4L Grand Am while there which had it's side caved in, but a nice looking engine. Managed to tear the engine apart and grab the heads and lower intake plenum, with the intention of buying new valve covers later and getting a Fiero-looking upper intake plenum made. Will keep you posted as the story unfolds.

For those of you wondering, the 3.4 fits the Fiero, and is made of aluminum with splayed valves (Angled) and has better port rates than the iron heads from the Fiero.

-------------
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.

Replies:
Posted By: Patrick
Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 10:30am

Do you plan to use the same crap Fiero exhaust manifolds with these better flowing heads?

In regards to the intake manifold, a dual-plenum one like Chay is working on http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1625&PN=1&TPN=1 - Here would be sweet!

Posted By: Dr.Fiero
Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Do you plan to use the same crap Fiero exhaust manifolds with these better flowing heads?

You can't even try.
The port spacing and shape is totally different.

Might just as well try to bolt on a set of 454 headers. 

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

You can't even try.
The port spacing and shape is totally different.

That's actually a blessing then.

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 2:26pm
Yeah, I'm going to go back next week and *pray* that someone left the DIS/module, and headers alone. Didn't have enough money for everything that week. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 7:17pm
Should be mentioned, there were two other vehicles at the lot in Pick-A-Part that had the same heads, so if anyone else is interested, the option is there for you. Weight savings are about 45 pounds, flow is slightly better (Albeit, I don't remember by how much) and the aluminums have splayed valves.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 7:31pm
But of course, none of the Fiero exhaust will fit, nor any of the intake.  So be prepared for a whack-o-fabricating.

If it's a nice day out, I might like to make a run out there too.  LMK when you're going....

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 7:40pm
I was hoping Monday afternoon, but I can go pretty much any afternoon, when works for you?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 8:46pm
Ick - just looked at the weather forecast for the week...  how does say...  March work for you?  ;)

(I'm just not into wrecker poking in the rain!)

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:37pm

LOL

Well, I'd like to get there as soon as I can. Like I said, I've already disconnected the DIS and module, as well as the headers, and I don't want to have someone walk up and take them.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:13pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I've already disconnected the DIS and module, as well as the headers, and I don't want to have someone walk up and take them.

I was out there late this afternoon and nabbed them. How much you willing to pay, fella? Your pockets are going to have to be deep... very deep.

Just kidding, just kidding...

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:29am

Tristan, if you haven't gone out to Pick-a-Part today, I'd tag along tomorrow (or later in the week) if that would work out. The starter (actually the solenoid) has screwed up on the Fiero I'm working on, so I might as well go pick up a starter. Let me know if I haven't missed my opportunity to go out there with you. Thanks.

PS. It's not as much fun poking around in a wrecking yard in the rain, but I can't wait 'til March.

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:21pm
Hey buddy, tomorrow it is. I get home around 3am. You want me to pick you up?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:04pm

I get home around 3am. You want me to pick you up?

3am?

Let's work out a plan in PMs.

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:44pm

LOL.

In my defense, I also tend to get home at 3am most nights.

-------------

Posted By: Capt Fiero
Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:08pm

T, please don't try to do this mod on your own car, I'd like to see you still driving a Fiero.   I don't know why the Dr. has not brought this up, but you CAN'T install DIS on your car as you don't have a crank pickup. Your Fiero intake WON'T bolt up, and the 3400 intake has the TB too far over so you CAN'T use the Fiero distributor.  There is a darn good reason that you see all the high performance 2.8's still using steel heads, its because there are no easy Aluminum head swaps out there.

If you want to try this mod really bad, I may have a line on a $600 86GT, head about it from another club member and if he does not buy it, either he or I'll be posting the details on here.  Then you can chop cut and tweak all you want without risking your good daily driver.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:30pm
But man... $600 is like... $500 more than I have! lol

-------------

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:33pm
Also, it should mentioned I know about the intake, I was actually going to attempt making my own intake out of fibreglass in the overall design of the stock Fiero, but in the necessary pattern for the new heads. I know the distributor wont fit with the new heads, but I was under the impression implanting a DIS was feasible...

-------------

Posted By: ARTIC-1
Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:10pm
was out there at pick a part on the 9 of JAN, to pick up the last set of
headlight motors on a wrecked 86SE-$45 for both complt,an looked at that
3.4 with ALUM heads.i didn't have the cash to buy it.the old boy thats runs
the place is an ok guy,ive made deals with him in the past on complt cars
you can make a deal with him for the whole car for next to nothing.a whole
car could go for as little as $200,an then you get everthing!! but you better
get it outta there quick!

-------------
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I don't know why the Dr. has not brought this up

Well...  I sorta did!  But quite frankly...  nobody asked. 

Look way up top and you'll see where I said the exhaust won't fit, nor the fiero intake, etc etc.

Anyhow, if you really want that 3400 in there...  you pretty much have to move the whole mess over.  Engine, intake, exhaust, ECM, bla bla bla.  No different than any other swap (4.9, 3800, etc) that's a 'bolt in' (ie, doesn't require an adaptor like an SBC).

Date Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:25pm

Originally posted by ARTIC-1 ARTIC-1 wrote:

car could go for as little as $200,an then you get everthing!!

Makes you wonder what wrecking yards pay for the vehicles in their yards... I've heard $50.

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 6:08am

Now, did my homeworks:

Crank triggers can be picked up and slipped on the end of the crank, just before the harmonic balancer, providing the option to use DIS.

I actually had looked at re-doing the whole exhaust, but I'm thinking I may just look in reworking what's in place post-header already, welding that together to make it fit the new headers. A hack job, no doubt, but feasible.

I know that there's alot of work ahed of me, but I don't think that it's fair to consider this as extensive as an engine swap. As much as I'd *like* to be swapping internals, the engine itself will still be there at the end of the day, just minus some weight at the top.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 6:27pm
Hooray! Someone took the DIS (But those little buggers were everywhere. I actually left the first two alone) but I found another easily, and the headers were right where I left them (Had to cut through a couple of bolts use a handheld hacksaw, but went smoothly overall). Some jerk took all the Fiero headlight motors I see though (Lookin' at you, Arctic).

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 9:24pm

Tristan and I had a successful run out to the wreckers. Tristan got his goodies and I got mine and I was able to grab a few items for Chay as well.

And best of all... It didn't rain!

Date Posted: 19 January 2010 at 11:58pm

But the mud stuck to my foot wear.

As an added bonus, I also learned how to make my interior, and I quote here, "100% better."

-------------

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:18am

As an added bonus, I also learned how to make my interior, and I quote here, "100% better."

Go on, post a couple images of the improved version versus the original version. Night and day difference...

But the mud stuck to my foot wear.

That's why gumbies were invented, son.

Date Posted: 20 January 2010 at 7:06pm

Nah, they did that to help the struggling rubber industry in the 1940's.

I don't think I have taken any pictures of my door. Ever.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 12:06pm
Starting disassembling and cleaning the heads today. Going to be measuring all possible details, followed by replacing some components (Such as valve seals). After that I'll be making the angles perfect again (30 degree top, 45 degree seat and 60 degree throat), porting, polishing and decking. A touch on the side of overkill, perhaps, but seeing as how I've already got the heads off and stripped to the basics, might as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 11:52am
Just finished grinding the seats for the intakes, 46 degree seat and 30 degree top. Depending on much time time I have, I might multi-angle the throat, although I'm wondering if it will even flow better, because if not, I might just straight-60 it instead.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 January 2010 at 7:21am
Finished all valve and seat grinding, cleaned up the ports a touch, going to be starting a true port and polish on the weekend, and installing higher ratio rocker arms. Once all that is said and done, they'll be getting sent off to be decked out at a machine shop, and then the fun times begin.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2010 at 10:42pm
Well, heads are on hold for now until I pick up ball joints. My suspension sounds like it wants to become a two-piece system. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2010 at 11:17pm

Well, heads are on hold for now until I pick up ball joints.

Are you getting them locally, or from http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26_44 - Rodney ?

Date Posted: 03 February 2010 at 12:22am

I'm thinking locally, as the car is making a lovely CHUNK CHUNK sound every time the G's shift. Shipping will take too long. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 03 February 2010 at 1:17am

the car is making a lovely CHUNK CHUNK sound every time the G's shift.

I didn't hear anything like that when we drove out to Chilliwack a couple of weeks ago. What happened all of a sudden?

Date Posted: 03 February 2010 at 9:09am

Tristan, this thread http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106237.html - Here just came up at PFF. Do you have any concerns about excessive compression ratios once the heads have been swapped?

Quote Originally posted by fierosound:

The combustion chamber volume is very different between iron heads and aluminum heads.  You're better off swapping the entire engine.

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 7:52am

I didn't hear anything like that when we drove out to Chilliwack a couple of weeks ago. What happened all of a sudden?

It was doing it a little when we went to Chilliwack, got steadily worse.  Now it sounds like the decklid isn't latching, or with heavy G's, like I have a bowling ball in my trunk.

As to the compression ratio, because the valves have been reground and the seats as well, the compression ratio of the heads has been lowered somewhat (Albeit, decking will undo that). Aside from that, I'll have to switch to mid-octane gas most likely.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:56am

It was doing it a little when we went to Chilliwack, got steadily worse.  Now it sounds like the decklid isn't latching, or with heavy G's, like I have a bowling ball in my trunk.

Is this definitely worn ball joints that you're hearing?

I was aware that Gretchin was "floating" somewhat during lane changes, but didn't realize she was also coming apart at the seams!

As to the compression ratio, because the valves have been reground and the seats as well, the compression ratio of the heads has been lowered somewhat (Albeit, decking will undo that). Aside from that, I'll have to switch to mid-octane gas most likely.

Man oh man, I hope you're not setting yourself up for a big disappointment (and/or large expense). 

Quote Originally posted by Scoobysruvenge:

The compression would be way too far off requiring a piston change to correct the problem...

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 3:50pm
Anyone ever...  oh..  I dunno...  Do the MATH on this to decide once and for all?!

You've got the engine apart.  Just measure everything, plug the figures into one of the million online calculators ( http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html - like THIS ), and see what you get!

If you end up at 13:1 or something - STOP!  Unless you've got a permanent source of avgas, or have shares in Sunoco's racing fuel division.

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:21pm

When I take the Fiero's heads off, I'll just measure the head displacement in comparison to the 3400, that should give a ballpark.

And Patty, unless the Fiero has the largest heads in the world, it wont come close to a 13:1. These heads arn't retardly small sized, unless you deck the living daylights out of them.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:36pm

And Patty, unless the Fiero has the largest heads in the world, it wont come close to a 13:1.

I never said they would or they wouldn't. I'm just a concerned citizen who's looking out for your interests (after reading a few things at PFF).  

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:49pm

When I take the Fiero's heads off, I'll just measure the head displacement in comparison to the 3400, that should give a ballpark.

It's been ballparked that the 2.8 iron heads are about 67cc's.
The 3.1 aluminum ones were about 28cc.

If the 3.4's you've got follow suite...  uhhhh...  you're going to be about 13:1 (based on the calculator I linked too, and estimated a few numbers).

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:51pm
Right off the bat, post-valve grind I can 100% garauntee you they're larger than 28cc's. They were about the same size as Chevy 305 chambers.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:54pm
Chunk of lexan...  some vaseline...  100cc syringe, and some colored water.  You'll know for sure in 5 min's!

Date Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:20pm
Yeah, I do intend to when I do the comparison, but in the mean time, I have no doubt they'll be substantially larger than 28cc's.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 2:09am

Well, just finished unloading $400 on Moog Ball joints (I started reading up on the Rodney Dickman one's, and didn't like what I saw), so it's back to heads now.

A good friend of mine gave me something that should make the time spent working on the whole project easier, as it wont leave me without a car. I've just inherited a second 2.8L FWD rotating assembly! Pretty much everything on the heads is done (Although the exhaust ports still need to be polished), so now I'm turning my attention to headers (I'll be making my own, decided I didn't want the stock log type). Also, the friend who lent me the engine and I are looking into a dry-sump system (Overkill, for sure. But hey, while the engine's in the open, why not?). Following those, I'll re-design the rotating assembly somewhat (Displacement will remain the same, but lighter internals will be used, and domed pistons put in as well). Lastly, it's on to doing my own intake (Trying to make it still look like the Fiero intake) and then a quick engine swap.

Wish me luck!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:00am

Well, just finished unloading $400 on Moog Ball joints

I started reading up on the Rodney Dickman one's, and didn't like what I saw

Come on now, that's not fair. Either say what the problem is or supply a couple of links.

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:21pm
Well, either I could remain at stock heights, in which case it was cheaper for me to go to stock replacements, or their redeeming factor would've been the lowering factor (.5" or 1" drop). However, based upon the way ball joints, keeping them lowered stresses the control arms, and buggers the geometry of the suspension (As you've now drastically altered your SAI). Also, they need to be welded in, which I felt was odd, seeing as how GMs are all press-fit ball joints. So, after that, I decided my choices were between stockers and Moogs. Moogs were adjustable, so I can play around with my camber slightly (Only 1 degree either way), and they're press-fit, so, here I am. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:43pm

Well, either I could remain at stock heights, in which case it was cheaper for me to go to stock replacements...

Moogs were adjustable

I dunno man, suit yourself.

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&products_id=202&osCsid=2746a1a1e3d5c0e613a15530f6f1fe31 - Front Lower Ball Joint (no drop) - $18  

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&products_id=201 - Front Upper Ball Joint (adjustable)- $20  

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&products_id=206&osCsid=2746a1a1e3d5c0e613a15530f6f1fe31 - Rear Lower Ball Joint - $27.00  

Note - Receive 10% off from http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26_44&osCsid=2746a1a1e3d5c0e613a15530f6f1fe31 - Rodney Dickman  on any purchase of 4 or more tie rods and/or ball joints (any combination).

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:23am

Canadian Brokerage Fee Per Ball Joint: $30.

Besides, I was still concerned with the welding statement... So with the exception of the front upper ball joints, there's no particular interest in waiting 4-6 weeks for what amounts to about stock replacements.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 11:03am

Canadian Brokerage Fee Per Ball Joint: $30.

On an $18 item ????

Where the heck did you get that info from?

Have them sent through USPS, not through a private carrier such as UPS or FedEx, and any brokerage fees will be minimal.

Besides, I was still concerned with the welding statement...

There is NO welding required for any of the ball joints pictured above, including the non-drop front lower ball joints.

Tristan, I'm not trying to give you a difficult time, honest. I just don't want anyone reading these posts to be turned off a viable, cost effective alternative for quality ball joints because of misinformation.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:37pm

Oh, I should mention they could be excellent products, just based upon my own experiences, they seem somewhat... Odd. Too late now anyways, Moogs are here to stay.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:57pm

Forgive me I am going to play both sides of the coin in this post, so bare with my rambling.

Ok I was going to let it slide as Romeo had already bought the parts and me pipping up was not going to make a difference aside from making him look like a novice.  However Patrick did bring up a good point and maybe I should speak up.

All lower ball joints from the factory were press in, if your control arms are good, then a simple press in of ANY new lower is fine, however most people do put a tack weld on it just for the extra security because once the control arm is stretched for the first one, it does not magically stretch back.  

So Rodney's regardless of what you read, can be used without welding, however most mechanics will recommend a tack weld, in fact anyone that does not say a tack weld is a good idea should be questioned.

Now as to Moog, IMHO they are the best on the market.   As far as I know they were the first ones to offer the adjustable upper ball joints and now I think just about everyone has gone to the adjustable upper design.

So there was no harm buying either set, just don't say that Rodney's are an issue because he recommends welding them in place. 

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:03pm

Ok I was going to let it slide as Romeo had already bought the parts and me pipping up was not going to make a difference aside from making him look like a novice.  However Patrick did bring up a good point and maybe I should speak up.

I actually spoke up on February 2nd before Tristan bought the Moogs, trying to save him some money, but to no avail.

Well, heads are on hold for now until I pick up ball joints.
Are you getting them locally, or from http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26_44 - Rodney ?

We're just trying to look out for you buddy!

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:23pm

If you flip to my Surgery thread, On Feb 2nd, I was in the hospital, under anesthetic, getting my knee cut open, so I think I might have missed that posting.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:28pm

...so I think I might have missed that posting.

I think Tristan did as well.

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 4:18pm

lol

As I read it though, there hadn't been any mention of the press-fit in his little page for the lowering-type, which made it seem like they relied upon welding. That's where my concern came from.

And again, looking at the lowering ones, I still don't like the way they change the geometry myself. But that's personal taste, if you were making a show car, or didn't drive the car hard, I suppose there'd be no issue there.

Anyways, I'm planning to mill the heads a touch, and use 20cc dished pistons to offset the milling (End result of everything considered, such as gasket, deck height, pistons, combustion chamber, and pistons, it should be an exact 10:1). So, my hope is that shouldn't be high to warrant premium fuel, but if it does, I suppose I'll just have to suck it up. I've sent off requests to multiple companies to see prices and whatnot, but somehow custom forged just doesn't scream cheap, you know?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 February 2010 at 6:11pm

And again, looking at the lowering ones, I still don't like the way they change the geometry myself.

Actually, if I remember correctly from what I've read at PFF, most guys like these lowering ball joints (as opposed to lowering springs) precisely because the lowering ball joints don't change the geometry!

Anyways, I'm planning to mill the heads a touch, and use 20cc dished pistons to offset the milling...

So now you're changing the pistons as well in that 2.8 boat anchor?  Oh Tristan Tristan Tristan...

Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 11:21am

Hehe, good bye $750. =D

Anyways, by nature the ball joints MUST change the geometry if altered. The SAI (Where the weight is projected inside or outside the tire) directly relies upon where the ball joints are located, how they're angled and how large they are.

-------------

Posted By: beken
Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:43pm
Here is the pricing I have locally for bushings and ball joints.

Front lower ball joint : XRF-$25.31 each, SPICER-$50.78 each
Front upper ball joint: XRF-$27.73 each, SPICER-$59.12 each
Rear lower ball joint: XRF-$25.98 each, SPICER-$64.30 each
Front lower control arm bushing kit: MOOG-$28.58 each kit (2 bushings/kit)
Front upper control arm bushing kit: MOOG-$23.45 each kit (2bushings/kit)
Rear lower control arm bushing kit: MOOG-$37.49 each kit (2bushings/kit)
Front shocks: KYB-$55.05 each
Rear struts: KYB-$77.85 each

No shipping and customs fees involved.

-------------

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd

Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:50pm
How are those spicers? Didn't happen to notice them, although that pulls in just $100 less than what I paid, so not too bad.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:53pm
As for struts, I'm holding out for now until I can afford Koni Yellows (Which is ridiculous, I know).

-------------

Posted By: beken
Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 5:21pm

How are those spicers? Didn't happen to notice them, although that pulls in just $100 less than what I paid, so not too bad.

I don't know. I haven't bought them yet. But the good Dr recommends them over the cheaper Asian imported ones. My buddy that gave me the pricing said it would depend on how long I wanted to keep my car. So I suspect the quality of the Spicers is noticeably better.

-------------

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd

Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 6:27pm

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&products_id=202&osCsid=2746a1a1e3d5c0e613a15530f6f1fe31 - Front Lower Ball Joint (no drop) - $18  

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&products_id=201 - Front Upper Ball Joint (adjustable)- $20  

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_44&products_id=206&osCsid=2746a1a1e3d5c0e613a15530f6f1fe31 - Rear Lower Ball Joint - $27.00  

Note - Receive 10% off from http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26_44&osCsid=2746a1a1e3d5c0e613a15530f6f1fe31 - Rodney Dickman  on any purchase of 4 or more tie rods and/or ball joints (any combination).

From Rodney's website...

Quote Note:
You may have noticed that many auto parts suppliers and others have reduced their prices on ball joints and tie rods recently. This is because they are now selling made in (mainland) China ball joints and tie rods. All my ball joints and tie rods are made in Taiwan. Their quality is well proven. I will continue to sell made in Taiwan ball joints and tie rod ends only.

Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 8:50pm

I don't know... Still sounds... Iffy? lol

Regardless, not concerned anymore, my Moog's are currently installed on my front end, will do the back end after the olympics.

Oh, and David, as to the tack welding thing, I brought that up with my teachers, and all three of them glared at me like I was some sort of psychopath. Ball joints will bend with excessive force, but the do that to relieve stress on every other component around them, so I'm told. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2010 at 9:42pm

Regardless, not concerned anymore...

That's okay, the info is for other people's benefit at this point.  

Date Posted: 11 February 2010 at 4:47pm

lol

Just drove for the first time having put the Moogs on (Albeit, only the front axle) and the car feels fantastic, no longer leaning over on corners.

As a joke, my teacher also snuck in and adjusted my clutch to make it rather sissy-like while I was writing my test. Rather than having about 1/2" worth of movement from full-open to full-engage, it is now the entire length of the peddle travel, so I'll need to correct that tomorrow. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 11 February 2010 at 6:26pm

...my teacher also snuck in and adjusted my clutch to make it rather sissy-like while I was writing my test. Rather than having about 1/2" worth of movement from full-open to full-engage, it is now the entire length of the peddle travel

That's great, you'll be able to drive that thing now without either stalling or lunging it forward!

Seriously though, what is there to adjust on a hydraulic system (besides making sure all the air is gone)?

Date Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:55pm

No, I hate the way it feels now, I might as well not have the race clutch on there at all. It just feels so... Stock.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 February 2010 at 10:32pm

No, I hate the way it feels now, I might as well not have the race clutch on there at all. It just feels so... Stock.

Well, here's a question for you... Just why do you have a "race clutch" installed? Because you like having a clutch which makes it difficult to get rolling smoothly from a stop?

What in your mind is the benefit of having a "race clutch" in a street car which has minimal horsepower?

Date Posted: 12 February 2010 at 8:01am
I like that I can just barely stab the clutch and complete a shift exceptionally quick. I also like the fact that it's pretty much my anti-theft system at the moment.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2010 at 10:24am

I also like the fact that it's pretty much my anti-theft system at the moment.

Heh heh, I'd prefer a street clutch and kill switch... but I'm old and boring.  

Date Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:18pm

Well, the anti-theft system thing was mostly a joke (As after stalling it a few times, people usually just end up clutch-dumping), but the shift speed was not. I honestly HATE the way it is now.

And sorry, I didn't see that you had two questions. If the Fiero is like Fords, there will be two screws, independant from one another, in the clutch linkage. By adjusting them, you can adjust where clutch disengagement begins, and ends. Mine begins at the same spot, but ends at the bottom of pedal travel now (I think it's actually TOO low, as my reverse gear now grinds on engagement).

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:55pm
IT sounds like he tried to bleed the clutch, but didn't know what he was doing and got air in the system.  That will cause a spongy feel to the pedal make it not change gears smoothly, grind reverse and just feel bad.  Bring the car over here, I'll re-bleed the system, print you off a receipt for $50 bucks and you can take that back to him.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:30pm

Seriously though, what is there to adjust on a hydraulic system (besides making sure all the air is gone)?

If the Fiero is like Fords, there will be two screws, independant from one another, in the clutch linkage. By adjusting them, you can adjust where clutch disengagement begins, and ends. Mine begins at the same spot, but ends at the bottom of pedal travel now (I think it's actually TOO low, as my reverse gear now grinds on engagement).

Tristan, what are they teaching you in school anyway?  There are no adjustments to be made with the Fiero hydraulic clutch. Hell, there's not even a clutch "linkage" (other than the simple banjo rod between the pedal and the master cylinder, and the slave rod/lever at the other end).

As David also mentioned, I suspect all that's happened is that you've now had air introduced into the system.

Date Posted: 12 February 2010 at 9:04pm

I severely doubt he'd have let air in - he teaches mechanics.

As to adjustment, the whole system is not hydraulic, there are a few mechanical components. In Fords, the adjustment is made as far towards the clutch fork as is possible.

Anyhoo David, thanks for the offer, but he's a good guy, he did this just to screw with me. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2010 at 10:17pm

I severely doubt he'd have let air in - he teaches mechanics.

You make it sound like he's some kind of omnipotent wrench-pulling god.

As to adjustment, the whole system is not hydraulic, there are a few mechanical components.

Educate us dumb old farts at the meeting on Saturday night then.

There are no adjustments to be made with the Fiero hydraulic clutch. Hell, there's not even a clutch "linkage" (other than the simple banjo rod between the pedal and the master cylinder, and the slave rod/lever at the other end).

Date Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:23pm
No, not a god, but a man who went from doing that as a living, to teaching it. And seeing as how the ONLY thing he was doing was the ball joints on the front axle, I can't possibly imagine any scenario where he'd have let air into the system.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:53pm

Maybe Pat and I read it wrong, but you said he did something to make the clutch softer?  What did he do in order to accomplish that?

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:56pm
You realize this thread now has over 1000 views to it, seems like a pretty potent topic.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 13 February 2010 at 11:06pm

...he's a good guy, he did this just to screw with me.

Well, he's done an excellent job of it!

We want to know what the heck he did. Phone him up... at home... right this moment!

Date Posted: 14 February 2010 at 12:25pm

Unfortunately, I don't get back in to school until the end of February. In the mean time, the suspense will have to eat you alive. =D

-------------

Date Posted: 23 February 2010 at 5:59pm

Well, somewhat off topic, just thought I've give a basic rundown of things I've bought, or have to buy yet, pertaining to the project:

Heads - Bought & P/P
Lower Intake Plenum - Bought & P/P
Upper Intake Plemun - Not made
DIS Module/Coil Packs - Bought
Headers - Not bought/Not made
Pistons/Connecting Rods - Haven't bought, don't know if I will this time around. Was going to do the rotating assembly at the same time, to save time, but the expenses are adding up.

On an unrelated note, just finished sending off my right headlight motor to be repaired and get upgraded internals (Metal gearing). Gretchin will finally stop winking everywhere I go.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 June 2010 at 1:13pm
Bwahaha, update for anyone who's remotely interested. Found a piston that will work for me. Pictures to follow as soon as I get everything organized, but I've managed to get to a healthy 9.5:1 CR, .011" of quench (Very good) and all for dirt cheap (Excluding milling costs).

-------------

Date Posted: 20 June 2010 at 4:50pm

I've heard that 3400 heads are better than one.

Date Posted: 20 June 2010 at 11:49pm

LOL!!!

Oh lordy lordy, that was damn good.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:37pm

Whew, got a wee bit accomplished today. It's amazing what an hour and a half, two cutting discs and three showers trying to get metal slivers out can do for productivity.

Got the Doc's slave bracket off and Rodney's put on (Funny story about that later). I got my sway bar sporting three fresh coats of chrome (Ok, so it's chrome spray paint, but shhhh) and the energy suspension bushings were bought. Granted, I'm now concerned my ass-end will be way stiffer than the front. Will need to buy another set of bushings soon. Anyways, I also got started on Gretchin's new Frankenstein (TM) intake system. Those of you who have already been told about it (David and Patty) or those of you not wanting to read a long paragraph (Everyone else) about it may wish to skip the next paragraph.

Because the 3400 heads have the ports spaced differently, and because they're larger than the iron-head intake ports, the Fiero's lower intake plenum wouldn't bolt up, so I had to use the one from the 3400. I left the mid and upper 3400 plenums at the junkyard, because I wish to retain the Fiero upper intake plenum for looks, and because that doesn't line up with the lower plenum, I'll be fabricating a mid plenum to act as a transitional piece (Out of aluminum) between the two. Up front will be the 80mm throttle body of an LS1 (Go big or go home) followed directly by the air filter (A la speed density system. See here: http://www.eficonnection.com/coilpercylinder/33WillysCoilMount.jpg - http://www.eficonnection.com/coilpercylinder/33WillysCoilMou nt.jpg ) However, as the Fiero upper doesn't breathe too well, I decided to slit it open from about the throttle back, so I can weld in a 2.5" and 3" piece of pipe, significantly increasing flow capablility. Well, that's what I turned my attention to today, cutting into a Fiero intake from the scrapyard.

Gretchin's intake hacked and sliced.

More encompassing shot of my chainsaw (Er, grinder) massacre.

The shiny thing is the sway bar.

Ooohhh, CHROMANCE.

Now, obviousy I still to finish hacking open the intake, and then smoothing out where I've cut. From there, I'm going to smoothen out the inside of the intake next (Where it says "Fiero" there's a mammoth ridge) followed by as much of a polish as I can get. I will worry about welding and painting last (Don't suppose anyone happens to know what paint that intake uses, do they?)

-------------

Date Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:44pm

OH! And I almost forgot my little anecdote pertaining to the slave bracket. After I did the slave bracket, testing the clutch had to make way for another coat of spray on the sway bar. "I can check later. It was fine last time, I'm sure it's fine now." said the naive voice in my head. So, off to play around with other things I went. Well, at around five today my dad hopped in the car, and everytime he went to turn it over, it would lurch forward. Now, I was upstairs, and knew immediately what was going on, and hauled downstairs at a speed so fast I may have bent time. Once I got down, he had the car in neutral, running. "DON'T PUT IT IN GEAR!" I yelled "SHUT IT OFF!"

Well, my dad being the "expert" that he is knew that if he just revved it to about 3000RPM and tried to jam it into first and... Oh dear, well... I never liked having synchros anyways. After he and my brother left (After a "heated" discussion between dad and I) I gravity bled the clutch again, which is once again working, but not as ridiculous as a remember it being. I might need Dave or the Doc to take a look for me, tell me what I'm doing wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:02pm

ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Got tired of using my dad's broken grinder today, so I went out and bought myself one. Nothing special, just a 4.5" disc model with an auto-locking on/off switch. Cost me just a hair over $80 (Doesn't sound like much to you guys, but to me, that's probably the most expensive tool I've ever bought) as well as two grinding discs, two cutting discs, two sanding discs and a scuff pad, which then brought the total to about a hundred-ish. Seeing as how Joe really likes to help me, I let him come out and help me again today. He was my hammer guy (When a piece is hanging on my a thread, he taps it out) and my cord guy (Makes sure the grinder cord stays plugged in to the extension cord, which tends to be rather loose. It wont stay in the right spot on it's own). After about twenty minutes of usage, I was cutting through the EGR port on the intake, but because of the metal bulk there, the grinder kept snagging, so I asked Joe to grab the intake with two hands and hold it steady. Problem was, when he put the entension cord down, the connection to the grinder was broken and it would turn off. I kept setting it to the right spot, and it would move a bit and lose connection again. Having previously cut through the metal gasket, Joe grabbed a nice big piece of it, and before I could see what he was doing, jammed in between the cords to pry it to the right position. Well, due to the 120V short taking place, where the cords connected both burst into flame. I grabbed the cords and yanked them apart as fast as I could, but it was too late for either. The extension, which was actually a treble light, has melted the rubber handle to the point where it is now covering both outlets. And my twenty minute old grinder now has it's prongs sitting on about a 1/8th" piece each (The short acted like a MIG welder and literally cut through most of the metal) and I now consider it way to dangerous to use (I will buy a universal outlet set later and see if I can't fix it).

That IDIOT child was somehow fine through the whole thing (Rubber gloves probably helped) but is now spending the rest of the day in his room. I get to spend the rest of my day buying a universal outlet of sufficient amperage, buying another treble light and being just generally pissed off.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:11pm

Invest in a ground fault receptacle! (Although this wasn't technically a ground fault problem, it certainly doesn't hurt to have tools used outside protected in this manner.)

The extension, which was actually a treble light...

Well, there's your problem. Should've been a bass light.

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:21pm

Nah, there's a plug in on the side of the treble light. And while I'd normally appreciate the pun, I'm just in too poor a mood. It was like TWENTY MINUTES OLD.

DAMN IT.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:30pm

And while I'd normally appreciate the pun, I'm just in too poor a mood. It was like TWENTY MINUTES OLD.

DAMN IT.

Aw hell, in a few hours, days, weeks, months, years, or possibly decades (depending on how long you hang onto a grudge), you'll be able to laugh this off and realize it for what's it worth... a great story!

Be grateful that Gretchin survived the ordeal unscathed. I hear them things catch fire!

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:33pm
Yes, but in the mean time the intake is sitting there, doing nothing. The grinder is sitting there, doing nothing. And I'm still out north of a hundred.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:35pm

Sorry man. If I owned a grinder, I'd bring it over.

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 3:03pm

No need, I think I'm just going to grab a file for now. Clean up the area around where the welds will be going. Maybe sand up the insides after.

Grr...

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 5:55pm

Bah, well a good few hours with a file has smoothed out the one end of the cuts, smoother the edges of where I cut (Less turbulent) and a hammer has knocked out some of the other pieces I had started on (Notably about two thirds of that damn EGR diamond). Tomorrow I'll buy another grinder, possibly a pair of C-Clamps and start again.

Less "grr-feeling" feeling now.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:18pm

Less "grr-feeling" feeling now.

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:06pm
LOL! There we go, back in a good mood.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:23pm

Date Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:25pm

Tomorrow I'll buy another grinder

For the sake of a $3 plug???

Date Posted: 02 July 2010 at 12:00am

I'll try that first, but I'm assuming the worst first.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net