Print Page | Close Window

Red to Grimm Dragon

Printed From: West Coast Fieros
Category: Technical Topics Forum
Forum Name: Build Threads
Forum Description: A Place to post step by step build threads.
URL: http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1803
Printed Date: 28 April 2024 at 8:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Red to Grimm Dragon
Posted By: Fire451
Subject: Red to Grimm Dragon
Date Posted: 07 April 2010 at 10:10pm

Well I am starting to aquire the parts for the complete
transformation of the Red Dragon to the Grimm Dragon the plan is a
very ambitious one it goes as so:

New High Hp power plant, looking at a 1500hp motor that I have to
save ALOT of pennies to purchase or build it

Th425 Trans to harness the power, hate having to goto auto

Air Suspension, which will be here in the next couple of weeks... will
post pics of it at the end of this list

Complete Custom body kit based on a fastback conversion (I need
the parts for that if anyone has some for sale or donation  )

2" chop top

black chrome paint job

Full 10 or 12 point roll cage

if I can find it a 95 nissan 240sx interior

Need to do bigger brakes

etc...

Now the Pics:

Dragon now

Dragon

http://westcoastfieros.com/forum/uploads/Fire451/2007-11-
10_212906_1.JPG">

the new suspension

Air Bagshttp://westcoastfieros.com/forum/uploads/Fire451/2010-04-
07_220119_AER432.jpg">

http://westcoastfieros.com/forum/uploads/Fire451/2010-04-
07_220133_bag_management.jpg">

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Patrick
Date Posted: 07 April 2010 at 10:16pm

Originally posted by Fire451 Fire451 wrote:

Th425 Trans to harness the power, hate having to goto auto

Oh... sorry, that's the deal breaker right there.

Date Posted: 07 April 2010 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Th425 Trans to harness the power,
hate having to goto auto

I thought the same thing but then relized that with that much power
two hands on the wheel could be a benificial thing

Posted By: Patrick
Date Posted: 07 April 2010 at 11:20pm

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Th425 Trans to harness the power, hate having to go to auto
I thought the same thing but then relized that with that much power, two hands on the wheel could be a benificial thing

Heh heh... Well, if that's the case then I'd sacrifice a bit of power to allow my right hand to leave the steering wheel for a moment... but that's just me.

Hell, we're all different... and that's what makes our cars all the more interesting.

Posted By: Roadfury
Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 5:57am
Just throwing my 2 cents in,

If your building a drag car this should be really cool! but if you want to drive on the street i would rethink the 1500hp,
just think that the 2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 650-4 Roadster makes 650hp and that it is designed for that, not only in engine, but handling and stopping, and costs significantly more than everyone on this forum makes in a year combined.

and our little fieros are built around a 140hp "power"plant

just some food for thought

-------------

Posted By: Dr.Fiero
Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 7:32am
I've got a fastback clip you can have.
(just the clip itself BTW!!)

Posted By: Romeo
Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 9:19am
Yeah, I find myself on Roadfury's side here. The chassis was never meant to handle 1500HP, not to mention you'll be running insane forced induction, lumpy cams, high-bypass filters, etc... Shorter engine life and horrid idle... I think towards the 600-800HP mark would be about the limit of what the car and tires could take anyways, in my own opinion.

-------------
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.

Posted By: Capt Fiero
Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:18am
I have talked to Fire451 about his choice and expressed my shock at the engine, but after looking over the engine and how it makes the power, the 1500hp is at MAX setup with race fuel and max boost levels, due to the engines management systems, with pretty much the flip of a switch (stroke of a keyboard) and change to pump gas the power level can be brought back down to the 700hp level, then maybe put a throttle stop on the engine and even stepping on it would be 500hp.   At 500hp it could be used as a nice fast street cruiser on pump gas.    I'll leave the details of the engine to be released by him when he feels like it, but the reason for the TH425 is the engine is so physically massive no other trans would allow for the install of it.      For those that don't know the TH425 is the trans that GM used when it build a factory Big Block Front Wheel Drive car, in the Oldsmobile Toranodo. 

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.

Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 6:38pm

I just wanted to add this quick link,  

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/ItemDetail.php?Item_ID=238&cart=uypGujDs&DoThis=Venom+1000+Twin+Turbo+SRT&ActionReq=Where - http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/Ite mDetail.php?Item_ID=238&cart=uypGujDs&DoThis=Venom+1 000+Twin+Turbo+SRT&ActionReq=Where

Its now a popular mod to the big engine Vipers to add big Turbo's making them 1000hp and 1100lbs of torque, running on pump gas and are soft enough to drive to the grocery store so long as you keep out of the boost.   With proper body mods and careful attention to aerodynamics I can see this working.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 6:57pm

This car is being built as a all around car.  Meaning I can drive it to the race track beat the hell out of it and be competative, drive it home, clean it, goto a car show and prey for a trophie of some sort and then goto coffee with friends.

It really doesn't matter how strong a car is built and with what motor, if you abuse them they will break, I have a tendancy to Overbuild everything that I do and end up neutering them, this way they last longer and I always have that extra lying in wait. Plus I think that I am kinda like Tim the Toolman Taylor, with the more power thing, kinda comes from building race cars and hot rods for other people.

Posted By: Roadfury
Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 7:44pm
I'ld like to know the mythical engine your planning on putting in this....

that much power will never ever ever ever EVER hook up in a fiero... EVER.. PERIOD

btw
the veyron (which makes 1000hp)

has 6 drive line related radiators   (fiero has one)

is 4 wheel drive (fiero has 2)

brake rotors are 15.75" (fiero rim size is 15)

etc etc etc

Building a Fiero that has a 1500hp engine, is going to destroy your car, your wallet, and the first time you sneeze and you foot twitches on the accelerator pedal, its going to KILL you.

I'm not saying don't be innovative, being another fiero with a 4.9 caddy or the 3.8SC is still cool but not totally original, think this one out. Make a 500HP engine that will be more than enough power. Maybe try nitrous if you want that flip of a switch power?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:13pm

Originally posted by Roadfury Roadfury wrote:

I'ld like to know the mythical engine your planning on putting in this....

that much power will never ever ever ever EVER hook up in a fiero... EVER.. PERIOD

btw
the veyron (which makes 1000hp)

has 6 drive line related radiators   (fiero has one)

is 4 wheel drive (fiero has 2)

brake rotors are 15.75" (fiero rim size is 15)

etc etc etc

Building a Fiero that has a 1500hp engine, is going to destroy your car, your wallet, and the first time you sneeze and you foot twitches on the accelerator pedal, its going to KILL you.

I'm not saying don't be innovative, being another fiero with a 4.9 caddy or the 3.8SC is still cool but not totally original, think this one out. Make a 500HP engine that will be more than enough power. Maybe try nitrous if you want that flip of a switch power?

i understand your points but as some of the people on here that new me before I got the fiero itch i am not new to high horsepower vehicles.  I have weighed all my options and I don't make rash decisions with my life, I have always strived to be a little different and try to pioneer with everything that I do.  That being said I also always make sure that the vehicle that I am building can handle the power that I am putting in it, this means brakes that can safely stop the vehicle and if for some reason something does go wrong then the chassis is beefed up with roll cages etc that are way overbuilt and proper harnesses.

Just because I am going to be putting in a 1500hp motor does not mean that I am going to keep it tuned to run the full 1500.  for instance I built a 2500hp motor for a race car and purposly tuned it for 1500,  Like i said earlier I always overbuild and hardley ever push them to the limits.

As for the motor it is going to be a 406 SBC Twin Turbo with intercooling running 14  psi of boost, on the street I will only be running 9 psi.

Date Posted: 10 April 2010 at 7:53pm

well I get my new interior tomarrow, I have finally found one after 6 years of hunting now all I got to do is go and pull it and give the guy the $40 for it.

Date Posted: 11 April 2010 at 1:16am

Although not my personal taste putting import into a domestic it will be hella cool to see it done in the FIero.  Gongrats on getting the parts you need.

, my think and dream is the Trans AM/ Dash swap, a friend in Seattle said when my V8 is drivable he will help me do the install.  As has completed it himself and looks amazing.

P.S maybe a PM, did you win the lottery or somthing.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 11 April 2010 at 1:51am
no lottey won just sick of seeing the car just sit and quitting smoking freed up a few hundred a month, plus i am getting things gradually. first tye suspension, and interior then the chop and body kit, paint, then brakes, and last but not least (which is weird for me) the motor. I am usually more worried about the go over the show but this time budget is making me go the opposite direction. I will be replacing the pics with the actual parts as they show up at the house.

On a side note i will have lots of spare fiero parts to sell/give away as the car progresses

Date Posted: 11 April 2010 at 1:58am

If you are able to pick me up and spring for Maybe Mc.Donalds, I have 2 nice cordless 19.2 drills and tons of other things to make that interior come apart rather quickly. 19.2v Cordless Imact as well.  So if you want a hand drop me a line.  Try all the numbers until you get one, my cell, house, Lisa's cell, then drop me a text as a last resort. 

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 11 April 2010 at 5:09pm

Well Fire451 and I went out today to gather up some more parts for his build, including his new dash, door panels and center console, as well as a fastback clip to cut up for his choptop fastback style rebody.

Fire451's new dash Project and Fastback Clip

http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0314.html">Click to enlarge image
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0316.html">Click to enlarge image
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0317.html">Click to enlarge image
GEDC0314
1024 X 768
240 KB
GEDC0316
1024 X 768
270 KB
GEDC0317
1024 X 768
349 KB
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0318.html">Click to enlarge image
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0319.html">Click to enlarge image
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0325.html">Click to enlarge image
GEDC0318
1024 X 768
207 KB
GEDC0319
1024 X 768
236 KB
After we were done
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0327.html">Click to enlarge image
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0331.html">Click to enlarge image
http://captfiero.com/fire451dashgallery/imagepages/GEDC0332.html">Click to enlarge image
Fire451 aka Chris himself New Chevy Truck the Fieruck Now with extended cab

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 11 April 2010 at 8:40pm
well not only do I got the dash and fastback clip i also got a full factory service manual for the 240 so i can actually use all of the factory switches, hvac and gagues, only problem is the speedo only goes to 200 kph

Date Posted: 11 April 2010 at 10:35pm

Thats what HUD's are for.  There are some amazing HUD units on ebay, ones that display speed, rpm, oil pressure and water temp. 

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 11 April 2010 at 10:46pm
i have a hud already for it been sitting in wait for about 3/4 of a year

Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:25pm

well the talks with the engine builder have started, we are trying to figure out how to put all of the motor into the car...

Looks like it is going to be TIGHT very TIGHT,  Car will be built with the existing sbc that I have sitting around till I can afford the new motor..

Racing harnesses were ordered today so I should have them in a couple of days

Posted By: ZeroC
Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:52pm
i just gave 2 sets of those away :(..they could have been urs

-------------

Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:53pm

Ya know with a 5 point, you will have to order a harness bar.  Either build one yourself, (much cheaper and I have the designe info) or buy one from Doug Chase for a couple hundred bucks.

On a P.S. note, Canadian Tire had Moroso 5 point harness's on clear out sale on a close out rack for 30 bucks a seat.  It was the Langley one on 200th .

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:59pm
I am going to be doing a 12 point cage in the car so there will be plenty of places to mount the harnesses to, I have one of these harness already but it is no longer valid at the race tracks as it had expired but if anyone wants it let me know (capt??????)

Date Posted: 22 April 2010 at 8:00pm

well some progress pics finally, the old dash and skeleton is all out and the new dash is mocked in next is the trimming and such to get it where I need them.  Then comes to door panels they are going to sit about 3 inches higher so i will have to make the body hide this when I build it:

Date Posted: 22 April 2010 at 8:01pm

Date Posted: 22 April 2010 at 8:01pm

i appologise the pics were with my cell because I forgot to bring out the camera

looks like I will also have to raise the steering column a little and make a souround for it

Date Posted: 23 April 2010 at 9:12pm

Very cool, the dash install will be very unique, glad you found all the wiring to make it work.  Can't wait to see the airbag install.  This is a mod that I have thought about for a while.  Would make it much easier to drive the car year around.   

How much of the kit for the bags is going to have to be fabbed up, or did they offer a kit that is designed for the Fiero?

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 23 April 2010 at 9:32pm

from what I understand, but we will see when I get it, it is designed directly for the fiero.

The wiring was no big deal just a couple of hours sitting down with the factory service manual for the donor car and marking out what every single wire on the gague cluster does and goes (there were 40 wires to figure out)

Date Posted: 24 April 2010 at 5:38pm

well today was another semi productive day:

well i went to Ralphs a-scott for a decklid and almost fell over when the guy told me $200 for a frickin deck lid the Capt called after I basically told the guy to go screw himself and the fellow told capt $250 for the same decklid.  Then we went to Ralphs import to get another part I was looking for and they were more than double the price of a new one, the idiot quoted me 380 for the part and I can get the new for 187....

Neverless i will never go to Ralphs EVER again....

I did however get some more body panels to modify for my body kit... that is all to report for now, got to go and modify a few pieces for the dash now.

Date Posted: 28 April 2010 at 12:51pm

well they have shown up, they appear to be completely bolt on but I will still add some tacks to be safe... also looks like the bump stop in the front will not need to be removed, but we will see when I get to installing them.

They also look like they use 3/8" air lines which will be nice for speed.. 

anyways here is the pic, took it at work with cell

Date Posted: 28 April 2010 at 8:51pm
Alright now you HAVE TO GET THE CAR ON THE ROAD.  V6 OR NOT.  I want to see these babys in action.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 28 April 2010 at 9:17pm

well weather permitting they are going in on sunday, hopefully

Just priced out my tail lights that I want to put in the car and almost fell over, $900 us per side.... think that I will be makeing them myself, won't be as nice but I think I can handle that for the $2000 in savings

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:24pm

well I got the rear air bags in and working they have a ton of travel to them, going to be useing the alt holes on the struts to let it go 1" lower then you see here..

old setup with st lowering spriings:

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:24pm

new setup

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:27pm

and a vid that shows the travel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--h4Wq9h1I - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--h4Wq9h1I

only got a 1/4" shreader valve working 2 bags at the moment till I get the management system

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:33pm
Looking classy brother!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:38pm

I just realized that I need to do some serious por 15ing and powder coating, poor car is looking worse for sitting unloved for 4 years

and thanks Romeo

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 4:37pm
Congrats on the install, I can't wait to see this all in person. 

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Posted By: DaCoupe
Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 5:00pm
Looks pretty good Chris!!  Now move that strut mount to the lower position so you can tuck that sh*t. I'll join you on a POR 15 day as my car needs some love too

-------------
Built not Bought!!!!

Posted By: Fiero308
Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 5:44pm
Chris that is way cool...........

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:43pm
next update will be the front bags, hopefully they go in as easy as the rears did (Yea Right)

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 7:24pm
Chris if you don't already have an air hammer/air chisell, drop by here and grab mine, it is a life saver when it comes to the upper control arm bolts. 

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:59pm

well ran into a small problem that could have me sending this airbag kit back to the manufacturer unless they can rectify the problems... so I might have to put it back to stock setup for now.. or i will be designing and building my own kit... will keep you all posted

Posted By: Fiero308
Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 7:36pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_uQ5zJRVs%20 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_uQ5zJRVs

I believe this says it all

Date Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:52pm
well I think I might just modify the kit that I got as i don't want to wait any longer, I plan on doing some work tomarrow with kiera if the weather permits, will post pics when we are done

Date Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:10pm
Did I miss the part where you said what was wrong?

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:18pm

no you didn't miss anything capt, I have not been posting that yet until I hear from the company as to not bash them until I have the full facts..  One thing I don't like about this "kit" is they sent no instructions for it and leave you to figure it out for yourself.  Also looks like I will be putting in 88 shocks to go with it as it appears that the 84-87 ones will not work anymore.

well here are some pics

apart and ready for the new parts and paint

lets see if you can figure this out look at the last 2 pics and then this one and see how they go togeather

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:39pm

I could guess, but I am sure you have already tried everything I would think of.   There is the one larger tab that kinda throws me for a loop though.

Oh and as for using 88 shocks, you can't.   They are unique to the 88 control arms which wont' work on any other Fiero.    Do the bags  even have a hollow core?   As the 88 shocks go inside the center of the springs?

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I could guess, but I am sure you have already
tried everything I would think of.   There is the one larger tab that kinda
throws me for a loop though.

Oh and as for using 88 shocks, you can't.   They are unique to the 88
control arms which wont' work on any other Fiero.    Do the bags  even
have a hollow core?   As the 88 shocks go inside the center of the
springs?

No there is no hole inside the springs but i need some shocks with the
stock upper mount with the 88's lower mounting and i have figured out
the lower mount i think, now got to figure out the upper bag mount

Posted By: Dawg
Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:56pm
Doesn't that short tab go on the shock mount?  If so why won't the stock shock work anymore?  Something in the way?

DG

-------------
You dream it up....I'll make it

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:10pm
Well I do have a full 88 front suspension, (control arms and shocks and rack) that you can look over to see if you can build something.  I won't let these go, so they would just be for bench reference.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:16pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Doesn't that short tab go on the shock mount?  If so why won't the stock shock work anymore?  Something in the way?

DG

no the new shock mount is the long tab that jets out with the hole,thehole in the center is for the air bag to mount to the plate and the other hole is for your sway bar, the big and small tabs are spaced just right to go on either side of the control arm..  I also have to remove the stock spring mout off of the lower control arm

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:50pm
I had envisioned that piece mounting over top the stock spring mount.

What happens if you switch that mount with the one for the other side?  Looks to me like the short tab will line up with the stock shock mount.

Doesn't it fit if you do that?

Bummer if you have to start doing major cutting.

DG 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2010 at 6:48pm

well todays progress wasn't all that much but my little helper (Kiera) had a blast

factory spring mount off of lower control arm

said mount

supplied air bag mount.. which will not work.......

but got a e-mail back from the company today and it went like this:

Hello Chris

This is Mike from the Tech department.  i am requesting the info for you now and will get back to you ASAP.  I will also be checking to make sure you received the correct kit.

Date Posted: 06 May 2010 at 6:50pm

i think that I can modify the stock mount to work for air bags which will make things a little nicer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:21pm
well kiera and I were out there again today and removed the factory spring mount from the other side then she decided that she was done and put my tools away for me so I had no choice but to stop working.  Things keep going like this and i will never git er done

Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:36pm

well here are some pics of my little project manager/helper hard at work:

and this is when I know it is time to go in:

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:38am
Very Cute, I can't wait for Arianna to be out helping me.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:08am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Very Cute, I can't wait for Arianna to be out helping me.

yea it's a blast, everything takes twice as long but well worth the time

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:34am
Hmmmm....either the camera chick was really drunk or that looks like the driveway from HELL!

DG

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:57am
trust me it is a driveway from hell, car has taken a trip down it on it's own once before

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 2:38pm
wooo hooooo I found my Transmission, final drive , torque convertor and stub axles finally and it is going to cost a grand total of $200 cad.  This is starting to look like it was meant to be.

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 6:35pm
Congradulations brother!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:02pm
I can't wait to see one of these transmissions in person, you are definatly pioneering a lot of stuff in the club.  Any idea on how much that SOB weighs.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:04pm
my guess is ALOT... Actually about 330lbs but should be worth it
for the power handeling

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:14pm
Yep I have never heard of one of those being blown up in a Fiero, granted knowing you and your engine choice, there is always a first for everything.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:24pm

Good to see you got some progress on the suspension! Have you tried calling them with regards to your issue? I usually find that when dealing with them over the phone helps!

Can't wait till my "little helper" is born so that I have someone to keep me company / sane while working on my car! By the time that happens i'll have a new project hehehe

-------------
Built not Bought!!!!

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:09pm
Well that is really sucking, I hope that it all works out
for you.

P.S. the Pooping comment, LOL, was the first thing that
came to mind when I saw the pic. I am glad I am not the
only one that thought of it.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:11pm
it came to my mind too after I posted the pic but it still works for the caption "and this is when I know it is time to go in:"

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:34am

well I am not going to recommend anyone buy the airbag kit that I did, it was made by Helix and bought from thehoffmangroup.com

Their customer service sucks complete a**

I agree I was looking into there struts for my car and decided now not to use them lol

I still say lets fabricate the lower mounts :)

-------------
Built not Bought!!!!

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:12pm

turns out I will basically have a 6 speed automatic transmission in my car, the th425 that I am picking up on Sunday is the switch pitch model with a 3.21 final drive, this is the coveted model for this transmission.

gear ratios are: 2.74:1 1st gear 1.57:1 2nd gear 1.00:1 3rd gear

torque converter has a 1000/2400 on the fly selectable stall speed

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:28pm
So its not a split rear end idea, just a selectable stall
speed?

With the amount of torque you will be making by the
time 2400 rpms comes up, you will just end up either
blowing the tires off, breaking something or flipping the
car up on its back end.

I am kinda confused here.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:40pm
well i got the new transmission today and have to say, it sure is beefy and HEAVY, but then again it is a trans and rear end all in one. will start the install of that once the airbags, choptop and roll cage installs are finished, until then it is going to sit for a little while longer, forgot to take pics of the transmission but will post them when i start with the install.

Date Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:56am

well the headlights are on their way from ontario but I think they will look F.I.N.E. on the car with the proposed mods

here is what they look like installed on a car in pennocks

Date Posted: 23 May 2010 at 1:23am
Damn, flush mounts... Should be sexy as sin. And better aerodynamics at night as well!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2010 at 6:59pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Damn, flush mounts... Should be sexy as sin. And better aerodynamics at night as well!

and the best part, no motors to go, no popping up at speed etc...

Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:35pm

Well I have been looking for a decient intake for my build and I think that I have finally found it here are some pics, havn't bought it yet but I am getting really close, decided that this will be bought before the air management system

Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 4:34pm
Hugh's old setup?

Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 4:36pm
no this is not hugh's old setup, but i liked it soo much when i put it on his car that i decided that I need to do it to my car only differance is this is a polished set as apposed to the chrome, I figure spending a meer 750 as apposed to the 5000 was worth the upkeep of polished

Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 6:27pm
Looking good! =P

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 6:51pm

thanks , also went out today and picked up Two diff sawzalls, and I have been asked by Airbagit.com to design the 84-87 front airbag setup so they can build it for me....  this is the only resolution I have found for the airbag problems, think that I will be just designing and building the front setup for myself, have a hard time doing the r&d on something like this for free and letting a company that I am not affiliated with make money on it.  Will keep you all posted on the outcome of the suspension, this is the only thing keeping the project from moving forward.

Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:08pm
I'd say do the R&D if they payed you for it. Otherwise
build it yourself and keep it for yourself.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 30 May 2010 at 7:48am
I say build it.
Then phone them and tell them it works great.  Then hang up.

Date Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:55am

LOL

I gotta say, I kinda like the Doc's plan.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:51pm

well my 1.5" wheel spacers are on their way and I go to pick up the intake on Saturday which is going to be awesome

Basically I am collecting all of the parts that I can think of that I will need and then when I get the suspension all figured out I can goto town on the rest, still trying to find a place in the states to get my cage shipped since Jegs doesn't ship them to Canada or PO boxes..

I have started designing the airbag stuff on autocad, what a steep learning curve that is...

That's it for now, will keep you all posted

Date Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:40pm
Point Roberts has a few "mailbox" places that will accept larger items.  They just warn you to not leave the items unclaimed for long or they start to charge you storage fees.

DG

-------------

Date Posted: 01 June 2010 at 11:37am
"Hagans of Blaine" is the place to get larger packages dropped.

It's just a normal shipping address in the eyes of the shipping company.
You just call and get 'registered' with them (free), then you have the package shipped to:

"Your name"
12345 xyz street <-- hagans address that I can't remember
Blaine, Wa.

$2.  $3 if they have to call you and say it's ready to go.

Date Posted: 02 June 2010 at 1:35pm

All you need to know is on this page!!! Ive shipped lots of large items to this place :)

http://www.thelettercarrier.com/home - http://www.thelettercarrier.com/home

-------------
Built not Bought!!!!

Date Posted: 02 June 2010 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by DaCoupe DaCoupe wrote:

All you need to know is on this page!!! Ive shipped lots of large items to this place :)

http://www.thelettercarrier.com/home - http://www.thelettercarrier.com/home

Unfortunatly they do not accept pallets

On a good note got the headlights today so I guess that is one more piece of the puzzle, now if only the weather would cooperate so I can actually start putting some of these parts into the car. Maybe I should finish the suspension first   lol

-------------

Date Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:30am

There is a place that does do pallets as I got one shipped there before I have the link on my laptop!  Yea finishing the suspension would be a good start for sure that way its on the ground at least. Time to brake out the cardboard and start making brackets lol

-------------
Built not Bought!!!!

Date Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by DaCoupe DaCoupe wrote:

There is a place that does do pallets as I got one shipped there before I have the link on my laptop!  Yea finishing the suspension would be a good start for sure that way its on the ground at least. Time to brake out the cardboard and start making brackets lol

Yea i think I agree on the cardboard brackets... then again maybe I should install the new headlights.... or ... or ....

Date Posted: 13 June 2010 at 6:30pm

today's progress

it's a start

-------------

Date Posted: 15 June 2010 at 3:42pm
Focus on only one thing at a time trust me on this one. Soon enough there will be nothing "completed" on the car and the wife will have you living in it lol

Looking good so far, you just have to sort out the angle on the bottom and you are set. Well then you can mount the top and also run a line.... I wanna see it tucking dammit !!!!

-------------
Built not Bought!!!!

Posted By: Duck
Date Posted: 15 June 2010 at 8:33pm

Really? You're running a TPI setup? The L98 engine came out in... '85, IIRC. I know aftermarket companies have managed to squeak out more power from that intake, but I would have imagined you'd be going for a bit more top-end power. The TPI manifold falls on its face after about 5500 RPM. They were meant to make power down below 4500.  I was imagining you'd be going for something a bit more high-tech like at least an LS1, or even just an LT1 which revs much better.

I still think you should go with the LS376, or maybe an LSX block at least. They'll support well over 1000hp and the whole engine design is far superior to the old stuff.  Anyway, with that much power, it doesn't *really* matter what design you go with. The TPI still has one of the coolest-looking manifolds ever.  :)

Cheers,

Kris

-------------
How much horsepower can I have and still go to heaven?

Date Posted: 15 June 2010 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Duck Duck wrote:

Really? You're running a TPI setup? The L98 engine came out in... '85, IIRC. I know aftermarket companies have managed to squeak out more power from that intake, but I would have imagined you'd be going for a bit more top-end power. The TPI manifold falls on its face after about 5500 RPM. They were meant to make power down below 4500.  I was imagining you'd be going for something a bit more high-tech like at least an LS1, or even just an LT1 which revs much better.

I still think you should go with the LS376, or maybe an LSX block at least. They'll support well over 1000hp and the whole engine design is far superior to the old stuff.  Anyway, with that much power, it doesn't *really* matter what design you go with. The TPI still has one of the coolest-looking manifolds ever.  :)

Cheers,

Kris

Trust me ducky, this is just the interm motor till I can afford the one that I have planned for the car and trust me it is a little more high tech then the old tpi setup

-------------

Posted By: fourpoint9
Date Posted: 18 June 2010 at 4:05pm

...still trying to find a place in the states to get my cage shipped since Jegs doesn't ship them to Canada or PO boxes..

I could receive it for you?

Date Posted: 18 June 2010 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by fourpoint9 fourpoint9 wrote:

...still trying to find a place in the states to get my
cage shipped since Jegs doesn't ship them to Canada or PO boxes..

I could receive it for you?

I thank you very much ,i think i will take you up on that... I will pm you
when i am ready to order

-------------

Date Posted: 25 June 2010 at 11:43pm

a quick teaser pic of the PLANNED motor, if I won the lottery will be ordering tomarrow  lol

-------------

Date Posted: 29 June 2010 at 11:37pm

I would pay admission fee just to see that installed.  Ain't no way in hell you are squezzing that in a Fiero, not even sideways.  Unless you cut the strut towers out completly and moved them over about 4" on either side.

You NUTZ, I can't wait to see this all come together.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net