Print Page | Close Window

Test Test

Printed From: West Coast Fieros
Category: Off Topic
Forum Name: Got something you want to talk about.
Forum Description: General Stuff that is not Fiero related. Life, computers, Just Stuff
URL: http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3440
Printed Date: 28 April 2024 at 4:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Test Test
Posted By: Capt Fiero
Subject: Test Test
Date Posted: 13 March 2014 at 8:56pm
This is just a test to see what happens.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.

Replies:
Posted By: Jordandsd
Date Posted: 13 March 2014 at 9:07pm
ya i been trying to get on the site... ahaha not
everything is working yet but atleast i can get logged on

Posted By: Patrick
Date Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:12pm

So what's going on?

Many of us couldn't access the site as it appears our bookmarks... http://www.westcoastfieros.com - www.westcoastfieros.com are no longer valid.

Why is it necessary to now change these bookmarks to westcoastfieros.com to access the site?

People who don't get and/or read the chat emails (and see the discussion on this) will just figure the club's website is dead when their bookmarks no longer work.

Date Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:20pm
Well Patrick when you figure it out you can let everyone else know.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 15 March 2014 at 7:28pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Well Patrick when you figure it out you can let everyone else know.

Were you aware that people haven't been able to access the club's website for the last three days?

I bring it to your attention, and mention what I discovered (trying to be helpful), and I get a smartass comment like that?

Real nice, Dave.

Posted By: Car-2-Lo
Date Posted: 15 March 2014 at 8:19pm
Dave, I google West Coast Fiero club...

West Coast Fieros Club : Home Page
www.westcoastfieros.com/‎
As of 2013, we are the largest Fiero club in Canada. Situated in the BC
lower
mainland our club enjoys a mild climate. As a result, we try to hold
outings

And I get this...

westcoastfieros.com

This page provided to the domain owner free by Sedo's Domain Parking.
Disclaimer:
Domain owner and Sedo maintain no relationship with third party
advertisers. Reference to any specific service or trade mark is not
controlled by Sedo
or domain owner and does not constitute or imply its association,
endorsement or recommendation.
Privacy Policies

-------------
Johnny-B-Good

Date Posted: 15 March 2014 at 10:22pm
The IP that I was given from Graeme won't work even by typing in the ip directly. So I don't know what the issue is. I have spoke to Graeme about it, don't know what the issue is.

This whole thing started when the Graeme told me that the site needed to be moved to a cheaper server. I said sure, he gave me a new IP to point our domain traffic too and then poof. We tried back and forth several time to get it right. He feels its a problem with our host 1and1 they feel its a problem with his configuration.

In the end, neither Graeme nor I have the time to fiddle with this constantly. Just an FYI, the club has never paid or used club dues for the forum. Graeme donates his time for that and his personal server, I donate my time for domain management as well as email stuff. (members email accounts and mailing list subscriptions)

If this can not be resolved, it may be the death of the forum. I'll ask Graeme before that happens to save a backup copy of the clubs front pages and move them to the club funded server, so the site will still be here, just no more forum. If someone else has substantial experience with this, and wants to take on it all, feel free to come forward and we will see what you can do.   Maybe we should just have the forum link point to the Facebook page. I don't know what will be the best option.

John we are doing what we can with what we have to work with.   However thanks for your Helpful reply.

David

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 15 March 2014 at 10:57pm

The IP that I was given from Graeme won't work even by typing in the ip directly. So I don't know what the issue is. I have spoke to Graeme about it, don't know what the issue is.

This whole thing started when the Graeme told me that the site needed to be moved to a cheaper server. I said sure, he gave me a new IP to point our domain traffic too and then poof. We tried back and forth several time to get it right. He feels its a problem with our host 1and1 they feel its a problem with his configuration.

Is there a reason why you couldn't have responded in that manner to my concern about the forum/website, instead of posting what you did. 

I stepped away from the club for a couple of years because of nonsense like that. I was hoping it was all in the past. Maybe not.

My apologies for actually giving a hoot about what goes on here.

Posted By: Car-2-Lo
Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 2:01am
Thanks Dave for your response, I thought the club fund paid the forum, but then it isn't.
We can't let the club forum DIE, we should have enough money to keep it running, eh !
Glenn read out club funds and it was lots in there, so lets pay for the club forum, what's wrong with that ?

Actually I'm getting to old for this, I'm out

-------------
Johnny-B-Good

Posted By: karnak
Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 9:10am
If needed, I have a static ip available to host the site. Free of charge.
Just let me know. From the administration side, I am not much use...

Let me know...

Gary

Posted By: Graeme
Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 10:22am
The only problem here is that the www subdomain is not pointed to this server. If you don't use www before the domain westcoastfieros.com then it works. It's an issue with 1and1 (the domain registrar) as for some reason pointing the domain to this server does not point the www subdomain. It's bizarre.

Other than that, everything is working fine.

Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 10:34am
I've made some changes in the 1and1 admin panel, they make take a day to take effect but it should resolve the issue.

Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

I've made some changes in the 1and1 admin panel, they make take a day to take effect but it should resolve the issue.

Thanks Graeme. Accessing the forum works fine with the old bookmarks now (although I notice there's still a "500-Internal server error" when trying to upload an image).

IMO, without a forum the club would find it difficult to survive. The forum is an integral part of West Coast Fieros.

Posted By: Colby
Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 5:41pm
If it comes down to it, I'd be willing to take over hosting this site. I didn't offer in the past because I don't have a clue how to set up a site that uses ASP (the technology this forum runs with), but in the worst case scenario I know I could probably migrate all the posts to some different forum software. I fear that if this forum shuts down, so does the club.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 11:00pm
The forum isn't going anywhere, so nobody needs to worry at this time.

As for migrating.. I wouldn't count on it. This forum software is almost 8 years old now and runs on an access database.

Uploading eh.. I'll look into it.

Date Posted: 16 March 2014 at 11:24pm
Nope, sorry. The components that this forum supports are mostly out of date and don't work. The one that supposedly works, isn't working.. I tried a few different tests and configurations.

So.. if you want images in your posts then you'll need to embed them from flickr or whatever. 

Date Posted: 19 March 2014 at 1:29am
Graeme the club server has the option of being a Linux box or a Windows Box, we are allowed to switch once a year. The Windows box supports almost all major coding languages.

Is it even possible to export the user database from this forum. (name and passwords) build a new forum located on the club sponsored server, that is more up to date. Then import the user information. I don't know about threads or other data.

Oh I think I figured out why the club forum stopped emailing out information. If when Damian took away my Admin rights here, he went into the forum admin menu and mucked around with the email settings there, that would have killed it. IIRC it was using a club@westcoastfieros email account to send its mail. If he changed anything in regards to the mail server settings it would all be broken.   If you want to put me back on the admin for the board I can take a look and see.

David

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Posted By: Colby
Date Posted: 19 March 2014 at 10:58am
In theory we should be able to migrate this forum database to some other forum software, but unless there's already a script to do it (not likely) it would be a tedious process. We'd also probably lose attachments and pictures, and the users might need to recreate their accounts.

If the club really wants to move the site in this direction, I'd be willing to do the work.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 19 March 2014 at 11:24am

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

We'd also probably lose attachments and pictures...

Aw man, it would be a real shame to lose all the images.  Not only would it be sad from a historical point of view, but it would also totally ruin most of the tech and build threads. They'd be rendered completely useless.

If the forum database is migrated at some point, and if there's a way to do it, images posted in forum threads really need to be saved!

Posted By: Dawg
Date Posted: 25 March 2014 at 9:50pm
The company that programmed the forum software is still in business.
They have ways of updating to more modern systems seemlessly. We
would need to pay for their latest version is all.

Dawg

-------------
You dream it up....I'll make it

Date Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:29pm
Are you on about this again? Yes of course, the evil empire stripped
you of your super powers. For goodness sake David grow up.

Also, this is the first I have heard about any malfunctions. For anyone
who needs to know. I am the Admin of this Forum. Feel free to PM me
with any technical issues and I will look into it. Very little was "messed
with" when DAVE left to deal with his life challenges.

My personal opinion is the Club has way more pressing issues to deal
with than these. But I am always available.

Dawg (shaking his head)

Oh I think I figured out why the club forum stopped emailing out
information. If when Damian took away my Admin rights here, he went
into the forum admin menu and mucked around with the email settings
there, that would have killed it. IIRC it was using a
club@westcoastfieros email account to send its mail. If he changed
anything in regards to the mail server settings it would all be broken.   If
you want to put me back on the admin for the board I can take a look
and see.

David

-------------

Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 1:17pm
Email doesn't work because the component that sends emails doesn't work on the new server. It's old. The site hasn't been sending emails for a while now. Damien, I appreciate you are the admin of the forum but this particular problem falls outside of the forum and is a server item.

With that, I have to say that I hate the politics that go on in this club. There seems to be a real divide and a lot of members backed off, some left (including me), when one particular person became very aggressive and rude to many. Sadly, nothing has changed for that person and it shows in this thread alone. While I can see that Dave feels like something happened to kick him out, perhaps with politics involved, I don't believe telling him to "grow up" is appropriate at all. There very much is reason to believe that politics got involved as this club is obviously struggling to maintain due to it.

For whatever it is worth, I never would have joined without having met Dave, he was the glue that kept the club together as tight as it was and kept it going so well. I wish the best for the next person who is going to take that heavy role on, but I would very much expect 1000% respect for Dave as this club wouldn't even exist without him. I can't imagine anybody thinking any different.

I do not believe the club has any more pressing issue than dealing with the politics actually. Membership is dwindling because of it, without membership, you don't have a club.

In conclusion, I think it'll be best to start moving the whole site to a server that Damien and/or Colby manage. It might work well as they seem to have the time and desire to take on that responsibility. I'm totally cool with that and can assist in getting the files over whenever that may happen. Domain registration and management is still Dave, I have no control over that. I've been on the fence for a while but I think I'm out now, I don't feel the club will be back to where I wish it would be and in turn I choose to stop supporting it with free hosting and tech support.

I do very much wish the best to all still involved though and I'll be watching from the sidelines here and there to see how things come along.

Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 4:16pm
Hello Graeme.

A well written message and fair I think. On some issues noted however
is it posible you are hearing one side of the story?

Thank you for all the good years of faithful support.

Harrison, you have been trying to get the three of us together for a while
now. Maybe we should make it a priority this coming weekend.
Saturday is the best day for me. Glen, chime in here buddy. What day
is best for you? I will keep my schedule as open as I can so we can
talkabout these challenges before us.

Graeme, maybe you could email me the transferring proceedure so I
can prepare accordingly.

Dawg

-------------

Posted By: Romeo
Date Posted: 26 March 2014 at 6:24pm
Nice to see all the petty bullsh*t that inspired me to
leave years ago hasn't changed even remotely.

I don't know who offended who, and who caused what, and
frankly I don't care. But for god's sake, can we at least
pretend to act like civilised adults? The originator of
the club being told off by the current admin of the club
is a surefire to drive this in to the ground.

I was 21 in a club for off mid-engined two-seaters, with
a significant group of people and often-times a penchant
for going fast (And an acceptance for people doing
whatever speed they felt comfortable with). If you had
asked me when I first joined this club, I would've
ecstatically informed you I was going to be a WCF lifer.

And then came the poison of all this useless gossip.
People whining about 'X'. People telling off 'Y'.
Everyone's discussing location, and cost, and events, and
everything else to try and save this club. You want a
simpler, quicker, easier method of preserving this place?
Before you decide to bitch at someone, or complain about
every god damn thing you see, sit and HONESTLY consider
if it's useful in the slightest. If it isn't, grow a pair
and keep it to yourself.

I've finally hit that acme where I couldn't really care
less if the club lives or folds. I like everyone here,
and will likely stay in contact with several either way,
but it would be nice if people could set aside their
irrelevant nonsense so we could all enjoy eachothers'
company.

-------------
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.

Posted By: beken
Date Posted: 27 March 2014 at 1:22pm
Totally in agreement with you, Graeme.

-------------

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd

Posted By: Fieroman88
Date Posted: 30 March 2014 at 9:36pm
I am now getting a increased sense of something I was
obviously missing. I have always believed and still do that
if it wasn't for David this club wouldn't have gotten to
where it did, however some underwear seems to be getting
knotted and it needs to get washed and hung out to dry.
Please feel free to private message me with your insights
as I would like to resolve this for the betterment of the
club. Regards Glenn   PS Graeme please get in touch with
me

-------------
Fieroman88

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net