West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3800 TPI 4spd Auto into 86 Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 7:03am

Drove the car on the road for the first time last night. I had to put gas in the tank so I could make it to Dales alignment on sat. Needless to say the car doesn't track vary well yet.

I had no problems with the engine or trans. The overdrive gear has the car purring quietly at 80km but when the car is floored you can hear it! ( from about 3 miles away.) Acceleration is just a little better than a 3.4 but it's way better than the 2.5L the car had.

I still have some minor electrical problems in the dash to tweak out and I may need to think about a bigger muffler. All in all I 'm happy with the way the swap went.

marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2008 at 8:13pm

Blair..... question! what year and make was the engine used for your swap?

I just picked up a complete  1991 buick lasabre limited with 123,000kms with a pristene 3800 v6 series one and a 4t60 all running.

Going to start tearing apart this week. Any secrets/suggestions?

Planning to keep all running gear together for a fiero project....

Still need a reasonable fiero  though

Marcel

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2008 at 8:49pm

HI marcel does the engine look like this-

or like this-

The first one is a 1990 and the second is my 1993 tpi. The best thing to save is as much of the wiring harness as possible. Every thing else is easy. When your ready to start the swap I can help you work out the problems. Just work on one problem at a time and try to think anything that you are doing now that could cause problems latter.

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2008 at 8:58pm

Blair....looks like the first photo

M

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2008 at 10:19pm
All I can say is omg...looks as good as you Blair
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 6:04am
Originally posted by marcelvdgn marcelvdgn wrote:

Blair....looks like the first photo

M

That is the most common 3800na to end up in a Fiero. People like it because of its reliability and lack of plastic. If you decide to go turbo at a later date, you can use the grand national comp. program as a plug and play.

Here's a pic. of how well it cleans up.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 6:08am

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

All I can say is omg...looks as good as you Blair

Thankyou' Thank youThank you vary much. u-hu.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 6:33pm

Well the Edlebrock muffler was just too LOUD! so it didn't last long once I started driving the car.

I took a 40 series muffler from Flow Master and cut the end off and flipped it so the in and out were on the same side. Then it was just a matter of installing it in place of the other muffler after cutting out some of the trunk. I will repair the truck later. The tip you see is from Bora and looks vary close to stock.

Here's a pic of the finished engine in the bay. So far it's running clean with no problems. The power is just enough to have fun but not get all out of shape.

John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 12:02pm

Originally posted by Blair Blair wrote:

Hey Blair, the car looks great. I am new to this forum and have a 85 GT that I have had sence 86. Bought it new from the dealer as a left over. I have now purchased a new 3800 tpi without a wire harness or computer. got any suggestions on where to start with this build. I had planned on going to a scrap yard to look for a car with the same motor to get the harness and parts needed. If you have any suggestiones at all it would be greatly appreciated.

John

Drove the car on the road for the first time last night. I had to put gas in the tank so I could make it to Dales alignment on sat. Needless to say the car doesn't track vary well yet.

I had no problems with the engine or trans. The overdrive gear has the car purring quietly at 80km but when the car is floored you can hear it! ( from about 3 miles away.) Acceleration is just a little better than a 3.4 but it's way better than the 2.5L the car had.

I still have some minor electrical problems in the dash to tweak out and I may need to think about a bigger muffler. All in all I 'm happy with the way the swap went.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 5:10pm

Hi guys, I've been working on a upgrade for my coupe.

With Marcel's help I have a 93 3800sc - 4t60e combo to upgrade the car with. I have already resealed and gasketed the engine and trans. I will be pulling the old 3800tpi - 4t60e out and fitting the new engine in the coming months.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 1:44am

Hey Blair, a lot of club members will be happy to see you posting here again.

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:32pm

Blair

I cant believe that is the same engine

all sparkly clean and all.......

let me know if i can help out

Marcel

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:47pm
Sweet another series 1!
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:55pm
You have a brother now! lol
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 12:11am
Oh wait, there was already a series one in there wasn't there.

Sweet another series one S/C

fixed
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 6:16pm

This week I managed to drop the cradle from the car only to find dirty parts. I will have to clean and repaint the cradle before I can work on installing the new engine and trans.

At this time it seems like a endless list of things to do...

If I can get the cradle prepped before the freeze I will mount the alternator and pulley system. Then all I have to worry about is wiring. The install will be made easier because a 4t60e/ 3800 was already in the car.

D_sensitized -

Can you tell me how your blower belt tensioner is working for you. Have you had chatter problems? I don't see a good way to mount on the return side so I may have to go driven side as well.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 6:44pm
Well my tensioner isnt really doing any more then an idler pulley would
because of the geometry of it and the only chatter I had was due to a
wobbly alternator pulley. Are you using the stock alt/tensionner
bracket?

Although now that I think of it, there is a intermittent rattle that I havnt
tracked down and havnt looked at the pulleys.
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 8:02pm
I will be using a custom bracket and stock tensioner assy. It worked well on the series 2 installs. The tensioning on the series 1 needs to be on the driving side of the pulley for simple belt routing. I was thinking a damper or shock may work to control a slipping belt caused by belt whip.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 6:54am

I managed to get the cradle cleaned and painted last week. This made it possible to fabricate the alternator mounts and belt tensioner assembly. The lower alternator mount is welded to the front motor mount that cradles both sides of the engine. The upper mount was much trickier to make. It had to protect the alternator from all directions of movement and vibration as well as hold the tensioner is the best possible location.

If your making alternator mounts for a swap make them strong! If you can't lift the engine by your alternator mounts it's not strong enough.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 12:02pm
Me like alternator bracket.  Good job.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic