West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new and saying Hi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new and saying Hi
    Posted: 07 October 2009 at 10:59pm
s
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 11:53pm

Well as most people will attest I, have a certain preference to more cylinders, but, I do have some info for you.

OK in the early 80's GM thought hey, we need to save energy, and money and on bench testing they found 2qt of oil was enough for the duke, even ran at high rpms, so thought add an extra qt and it would be fine.  However for some reason, they neglected to talk to the real car guys and take into account people were going to drive the hell out of these cars in the corners.   So once the guys that there new fancy sports cars out on the race track, err, there daily commute to work, 3qts MIGHT be fine, but let your oil run a little low, then go deep into a sweeping corner, the oil in the pan would slosh to one side, starve the pump and BOOM goes your engine in your brand new car.   

Now add to the fact that when GM was building these motors, they actually received a bad shipment of connecting rods to there plant, causing them to be artificial weak.   

There were a LOT of dealers replacing a LOT of 2.5 Fiero engines in a real quick hurry. 

Now you might say BUT HEY this is the Indy Fiero,  sorry guys, the production INDY had the same engine and power as the base model 84 car.  The Indy package was cosmetic only.  Albeit a really nice package, Lisa would almost give anything for a set of nice factory RED Indy seats.

First thing you need to do is drain the oil, clean the dipstick, and re-fill with 3qts.  Check dipstick, if it says full, you have the pre recall dipstick and it is wrong, now add a 4th qt and re-check, if you confirm that you are now overfull, then you know for sure you have the wrong dipstick.  If however you don't see much difference, you next bet is to get out to a club meeting and find other 4cyl owners, and very latterly check dipsticks, unless you can find the measurements online.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 7:17am
awesome thanks Capt, i do know it is just cosmetic but with only 2000 made for 1 year only i was going to go for collector plates on this on for a summer DD and maybe pass to my boy, 12 now and maybe build a screamer next time, this car is mint and i think worth the investment, what you think?
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 10:36am
How much are they selling it for?

I think it's an interesting investment but I wouldn't pay too much for a 4 cyl fiero unfortunately.
84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 12:35pm

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 1:01pm
If it's in really good shape cosmetically and runs then I'd take that, are they firm? Maybe try asking a bit less?. Just be sure you have a good understanding of the vehicle for fixing purposes, or in inclined to learn about it lots for when it does break.The club is a great resource and there are always lots of people here willing to give advice and help when you need it.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 4:44pm

Originally posted by 84 Indy 84 Indy wrote:

this car is mint

$2200 has new clutch and tires

If this Indy really is "mint", buy it. Perhaps offer $2000.

Just be careful when someone says a clutch or whatever is "new". I've looked at cars and have been told certain parts are "new" only to discover what they really meant was that they weren't the original parts.  In other words, these "new" parts were actually installed years ago!

Always ask to see receipts when someone selling a car says something is "new" on it.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 5:16pm

Well if you do buy this car or want a real 2nd opinion, I can dig up the info for Tony in the Calgary club, who has all the collector info regarding the Indy and has a Collector Indy, this is not just "nice" its IMHO better than what would have rolled off the assembly line new.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 6:55pm
wow thanks Capt, and i own my own shop and I replaced the clutch in this car myself
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 7:06pm

i own my own shop and I replaced the clutch in this car myself

Seems to me these details were missing from your first couple of posts.

84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 7:32pm
it says new clutch in the first post
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 7:46pm

Almost every used car (with a manual tranny) is advertised as having a "new" clutch.

However, very few potential buyers have previously installed the clutch in a used car they're thinking of buying.

84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 8:07pm
ok just got back from chatting with the guy and got it for 2G on the nose
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 8:24pm

OK, I think I am going to walk away in a dazed stupor while it looks like I am still intelligent?

However, if I might ask, if you own a shop, in the lower mainland of BC, and are capable of working on Fiero's, competent to do the work, WHERE IN THE HECK HAVE YOU BEEN.......     We need name, address, rates, estimates, hours of slavery, err operation....... 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 8:28pm
sorry I'm not on lower mainland, I'm on Quadra Island just off Campbell River my rates are $65hr I'm a one man show!
pics as soon as i get it home and in the light of day!
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 8:55pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

in the lower mainland of BC

That was a big assumption!

Heh heh, I'm telling ya Dave, the forum software needs to allow members to post their location!

My location is mentioned over to the left, but that was due to divine intervention.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 8:57pm

Well I know the price has dropped drastically, this car is now in Campbell River (the city) on the island.    It WAS in very nice shape the last time I saw it.     V6 4spd.

http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=172 &PN=1

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:02pm

Well Patrick you can ask all you want, however I don't have the ability to do that, and I don't belive Graeme can re-code it either.  

Having an extra cylnder in an engine would be nice too, but try making a V7 from a V6. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:06pm
ya i didnt see a place for city/town/back country
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:06pm

Oh, I'm not blaming you, David. It just seems so odd that forum software wouldn't include something as basic as a place to mention a member's location.

[EDIT] Okay, there is a place to mention what country we're in, but how helpful is that?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic