West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indy
    Posted: 20 October 2010 at 10:06pm

The Indy car from Burnaby that I recently purchased on Ebay, is now in my driveway in North Vancouver. The car has every factory option except cruise control, and I hope to add that as well from the parts car. 

It has a bit of damage and abuse including:

• An engine fire (started by a grass fire) that wiped out quite a bit of the wiring around the engine and the deck lid, but apparently not the engine itself.
  • A bit of damage to the front facsia.
  • Damage to the LHS quarter panel. It will need to be replaced.
  • Body rust completely through (two fist sized holes) immediately below the battery shelf, presumably to be replaced by a $ 90 Fierostore patch panel, unless someone has game plan B.
  • Damaged dash pad (light grey), and seeking a replacement.

Some parts, including the carpet are in remarkably good condition, and the seats are OK for now. Generally the body is decent.

I purchased a 84 SE Auto that is stored in Langley until mid-November when I will bring it here for a fast dismantling and disposal. That car was on Craigslist a couple of months ago in Maple Ridge with a bad engine. It was sold, driven to Abbotsford, then Langley (same bad engine) where it appears to have breathed its last breath. It is almost too good to dismember, but it appears to have been well looked after and will provide needed 84 parts plus lots of compatabale spares and other replacemtn parts. Other than the few commitments that I have made to Paul Schinkel (recently purched 85 SE V6 Auto who covets the roof / sunroof), I will want to get rid of everything that is not relevant to the Indy. Anybody have a want ir wish list?

Patrick Sheridan and Pail Schinkel visted today. Thanks guys. 

I just now noticed the size limitation on jpgs, so my intention to post photos tonight will have to wait a bit.

And thanks to David for providing both good data and good advise.

Gary Hawthorn @604-986-8199

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 10:14pm
Welcome fellow afflicted person.

:)

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 11:07pm

Originally posted by Indy Indy wrote:

I just now noticed the size limitation on jpgs, so my intention to post photos tonight will have to wait a bit.

I use IrfanView for all my image resizing needs. It works great, does batch conversion (a whole folder of images can be converted at once) and the price is attractive as well... Free.

Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 7:51pm

The photos that I promised.

My 71 Opel GT insisted on being in one of the photos with Pat and Paul Schinkel. Ask Pat about the primitive but effective headlight hiding system. 

Thanks

Gary

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 8:32pm

This photo was crying out for cropping and a bit of a massage.

And yes, the hide-a-way headlights on the Opel are really neat.

Gary, it was good to get to know you and Paul a bit. Thanks for having us over.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 9:32pm
God I always wanted an Opel.  Nice looking cars.  It was either a Sunbeam Tiger, an Opel, a GT6+, or an X 1/9.

I ended up with an X 1/9.

The Dawg
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 9:34pm
Aw, Sunbeam Tigers are awesome too!
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 10:23am

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

And yes, the hide-a-way headlights on the Opel are really neat.

So nobody's going to ask me what's so neat about the Opel's hide-a-way headlights?

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 10:29am
They roll around ?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 10:32am

That's a start John (very good!), but how do they "roll around"?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 10:54am

Not to sidetrack Gary's Indy build thread, but Here is an interesting video on the Opel GT.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 9:39pm

Gary, any progress report on the Indy?

When you and Paul remove the sunroof from the parts car, I'd like to be there (that's assuming you haven't already done it).

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 3:25pm
Reminds me of my blue '73.

It's actually how I got into the Fiero. I had a 3.4 with 4 speed auto prepped and ready in a parts car, and got wiped out in my daily driver on the way to work berfore I could stick it in.

Being I had just rebiuld the 3.4 I had to find a car to stick it in...the Fiero.

I still have the engine mounts somewhere...I can't find another Gt for a resonable price up here though. The states yes, but really I can't afford it now anyway.

Good luck with both cars. If you need info on the GT, I have an abundance lying around.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 3:34pm

Three weeks later and my 84 SE AT parts car, other than the body is mainly stripped. It has been a good parts car since it has quite a few of the accessories that are on my Indy MT so has provided either lots of spares or replacement parts. This has been quite useful in the engine compartment where there was more fire damage that was initially apparent.

Before I started to dismantle the SE I ran the engine briefly (lots of noise), did a compression check (all < 90 psi), and checked the electrics (all working).

To date, I have done the following on the SE:

• removed the engine (from below), and partially dismantled.
  • removed brakes, partial wiring harness, console, fuel tank, rad and fan, headlights. acjt

Since my priority is to get the (s)hell out of my driveway, I have not done much on the Indy. Since the Indy engine appears not have turned over for a few years, I rotated it by hand, gave the cylinders a dose of oil, and the next day did a compression check ( 150 - 180 psi - perhaps influenced by residual oil, since I did give it a bath).

I pulled the engine compartment wiring and ECM harnesses and was planning on swapping them over, and can still do so. However, it is not plug and play, since the AT is a bit more complicated than for the MT in the Indy, something that could be overcome with some wiring changes. Game plan B is to get those harnesses from an 84 MT, and just swap them over. Does anybody know whether the 84 2M4 that is at Pick-A-Part still has the engine, in which case the harnesses that I need may still be there?

Although the body on the SE is excellent, (both fron t and rear fascias are perfect) I will save only a couple of panels so if anyone wants anything (the AT?) please contact me. What does not go to club memebers, I will try to get rid of on Craigslist. Maybe we will get lucky and find a new cub member. 

Rust - the Indy has a rusted battery shelf and fist sized holes immediately below in the body, but otherwise is OK. The SE has the same rust, plus the frequent rust through beside the trunk, plus the top end of both front shocks.   

Gary hawthorn @604-986-8199

Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 3:38pm

Oops pushed the wrong button.

A few more photos

Gary

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by Indy Indy wrote:

Game plan B is to get those harnesses from an 84 MT, and just swap them over. Does anybody know whether the 84 2M4 that is at Pick-A-Part still has the engine, in which case the harnesses that I need may still be there?

Gary, three of us were there yesterday (as reported Here), and yes, the engine is still in that '84. It's pretty well picked over, but something like the harness is probably still in there. Hopefully, no one has cut plugs/connections off the harness. 

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 11:41pm
Wow....looks like you've got some serious rust there.  I can help you with that....PM for more info.

The Dawg
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 12:46am

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Wow....looks like you've got some serious rust there.  I can help you with that....PM for more info.

I don't think Gary cares much about rust on the parts car. It's going to be scrapped!

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 3:19am
Hmmm.....I just noticed some red in that one photo.....

He still has a rather large battery tray hole however.....:)

The Dawg
Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 5:02pm

Guys

I just returned from my first ever trip to pickapart. As Pat guessed, the wiring harnesses that I wanted were intact other than the main harness to C500 having been spliced just behind the shifter. That is no problem since I will splice in that location anyway.

Nice warmish sunny day and a well spent 2 hr there + 2 hours driving.

I now have three clutch slave cylinders and all are rusty. I am thinking about replacing the small rubber boot with a large bellows type and seal it at both ends so that it will expand when the clutch is depressed and not merely suck in moist West Coast air whenever the clutch returns to its rest position. Comments?

Anybody have any spare 4 cyl MT engine mounts? My LF one appears to have had a bit of fire damage and the one from the AT is a bit different (I need to check that). Should I just replace all of them?

About the rust through - I have a MIG welder so when I am replacing the battery shelf (anybody have a new one for sale?) I will weld in patches from the top side. However, thanks for the offer. 

Anybody have any NOS dew wipes. The 84 is different than the later years but according to fierostores the later ones can be adapted, and pretty much have to be since the 84 versions are no longer available.

Cheers

Gary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic