West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 GT won’t run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:26pm
The ECM will "work" although it wont be "right".

Any V6 ECM will fit any year, or combo - it just might not run right!  Also, if you've got an auto vs. std ECM, it'll run, just not right (since one knows about the TCC etc, the other doesn't for example).

Oh, and there's actually only two ECM's - the late one you have as a space (1227170) and the early one that's in your 85 (a one year only ECM).  The thing that makes them unique after that is the PROM chip under the little cover.  Look for a 4 digit code made up of letters on it - they MIGHT be hidden under the plastic carrier.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 3:14pm

IT RUNS! IT RUNS!

So we found out some hack cut the ECM grounds flush to the wiring harness...

Extended the wires and grounded them to the engine and now it runs... Sort of....

It idles really high and when you give it some gas, it just boggs down... Listen to the video clip...

(Facebook loads faster but doesnt always work...)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=17569761046

http://media.putfile.com/Fiero-Runs

PS It sounds so beastly because theres a 3/4" hole in the exhaust just before the cat.

PPS Miiiiiight want to turn down the volume a little bit

Edited by Roadfury
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 7:44pm
I would check the ignition timing and look for any "codes" stored in the ECM. You may not have any codes seeing as you had so much of the harness apart.   But its either the timing or a hooped MAP sensor from the sounds of it. Car runs nice and smooth.   Oh also it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. May just be the IAC bypass that I can hear. However 9 times out of 10 a vacuum leak on a Fiero turns out to be a cracked EGR pipe.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2008 at 6:27am
It sounds like you don't have a TPS and/or MAP!

You need to check more ground circuits - the TPS and the MAP share a common ground, and a common 5V rail.

If someone chopped grounds off...  you need to go over each and every wire that's SUPPOSED to be coming off the ECM.  I'll try to email you a few pages of diagrams if I can.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2008 at 4:10pm

So can i check the tps and map? or do i just have to rank up my bill higher?

the sound clip you heard was actually with a 87 gt ECM in it, we swapped it out and put in the right one and now when you go to give it gas it actually responds.... its still idling really high though... 2500rpm i think...

Ps where do you get thermal wrap and the wiring tubes... i had to cut the thermal wrap off to fish out the grounds and the tubing is SUPER brittle and is all falling off....

:Edit: PPS i did get the emal dr thx

Edited by Roadfury
Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 3:07pm

so we adjusted the timing and it does rev lower now

i forgot to add that since we got it running after we run the car for  about 30 seconds the headers glow red :( fixes???

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Roadfury Roadfury wrote:

we adjusted the timing and it does rev lower now

i forgot to add that since we got it running after we run the car for  about 30 seconds the headers glow red :( fixes???

Ack!  Ack!  You got the timing wrong.  Don't run it anymore until you do it properly.

When you set it, you need to jumper the A&B pins on the ALDL, then start the engine and set it to about 12* BTDC.  Do it on #1, then double check it on #4 (you should get within a degree or so the same).

If your mark jumps all over the place, and the idle is more or less steady - you probably need a new drive gear on the distributor.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 8:28pm

Okay you'll have to explain that a bit more in detail thats all over my head i could show it to my shop teacher but it sounds technical and he would only relay to me "rable rable rable"

I need to know what A&B pins are and what a ALDL is and what 12*BTDC is

sorry this is the only car ive ever worked on and im only 16, im learning as fast as i can :(

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:17pm
A&B pins - the ones located next to C&D.  

Pull the cover off your cigar lighter.  You'll see your ALDL connector in there.  The pins are marked, but they'll (A&B) be the only two holes that are on the end of a row, and have contacts in them (the rest are dummy holes).

Just strip a 3" or so chunk of wire, fold it in half, and stuff it into A&B.

Now go back to setting your timing as you did before, and set it to 12 degrees BTDC (before top dead center).  If you have a digital setback timing light, it's way easier to do it - you just plug 12* into the light, then set the timing mark on the balancer to ZERO on the scale.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 6:09pm

ALDL is that where you hook up the service engine soon code reader?

and i take the jumper wire out after the timing is set right??

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 6:20pm
Correct on both counts.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 9:13pm

so the timing seems to be set right but the headers are still glowing red what the fudgecicles???

could it be a vaccum leak? pcv tube leak? egr leakage????

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Roadfury Roadfury wrote:

so the timing seems to be set right but the headers are still glowing red what the fudgecicles???

could it be a vaccum leak? pcv tube leak? egr leakage????

If you want to read a WHOLE lot on the topic, have a look at all these threads from PFF. I don't have any first hand experience with this as my Fieros have all been Dukes (until I bought a GT a month ago).

You've checked the timing, good. However, as you suspect, glowing manifolds can often be caused by a lean condition. Vacuum leak, broken EGR tube, even a cracked intake. Or it could be a clogged cat, a bad O2 sensor, etc.

Let us know what you find.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 10:07pm
Bump

So seeing the complete lack of interest of people as far as selling the goes, it looks like im gunna just have to finish my project from hell... yay?

So....List of problems:
Clutch master cylinder has to be replaced and system needs to be bled.

ECM grounding wires need to be rerouted ( they were incorrectly routed and got melted on the y-pipe)

Need to re-wrap the wiring harness in the ?fireproof? tape ( anyone know where i can find some? )

Coolant tube return from the thermostat housing leaks and needs replacement

Engine stabilizer strut needs to reinstalled

Theres a hole in the exhaust about the size of toonie just before the cat ( im decent at welding should i try to patch it myself or take it to a shop? )

the nose was taken off and mickey moused back on. has anyone else had the nose off and have any tips for me putting it on right?

drivers door bushings are shot? are they replaceable?

plus the biggest problem im having is with irregular idle, stalling, and cherry red glowwing headers...... need to check for vaccum leaks (best way to do this is...), possible replace o2 sensor like patrick suggested

any and all help is appreciated i need every little bit i can get

Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 2:22am

hmm glowing red Headers or Exhaust Manifolds not that I think it matters but which one is it. But the glowing red part could be because  your engine isn't cooling down. How is your coolant flow? Did you check the Radiator, Fan, Water Pump and the Coolant tubes under the car, could even be a problem with exhaust valves?

I had a similar problem in a project I did way back in highschool and turned out the Rad had a pinched tube that blocked some of the coolant flow and exhaust valves weren't closeing properly.

as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 3:20pm

I have headers as exhaust manifolds.   They glow red a bit.   It's normal.   They barely glow at all at idle.  Exhaust gas is hot.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 3:52pm
Ken if your manifolds are glowing at all, it means there is excess flame front from the combustion chamber making it into your manifolds.  Regardless of what your timing is, I would bump it up a few degrees.  I would also consider getting a scan tool on your car to see what the O2 sensor is doing.  If it says you are running Pig Rich, and yet you have glowing manifolds I would replace the O2.  If it says you are really lean, I would look into fuel pressure issues. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic