West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build up thread of my "SS10 Blazer"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 8:25pm
Ok, fans and front end are now wired:

This is what that stainless rad hose a few posts up looks like installed:

I couldn't fit it in for the lower hose, so I'm going to have to just use plain rubber now for that. 

edit: I think I've figured out a way to use the stainless hose for the lower as well......

edit edit: No dice.  I used rubber.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 9:39am

Ya know whats going to suck, if we ever end up at the Track, where you can get traction on the VHT, I going to have run Nitrous on my 4.9 just to keep up.  It would really suck being in a V8 Fiero and get beaten by a Truck :) 

Its looking Awesome John, I wish my conversion was coming along as nice and quickly as yours.  I can't wait to take a ride in it.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 7:32am
Thanks.  Trust me - I can't wait to take MYSELF for a ride in it!!!!   

Anyone know somebody who does aluminum polishing?  I'm looking at these photos now going "ewwwww, look at that alternator and those brackets!".

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 8:50pm
Ok, well not much to actually SHOW for what I've been doing.  Ugh!  Lots of time spent...  more figuring out than actually doing stuff.

There's that funky dipstick you saw earlier (the rod you see in the bottom is a standoff of stainless ready rod - it goes to the A/C brace.
 Had to make that since the thickness of the cast manifold isn't there anymore).

Test fit of the grill, checking clearance of the fans (they fit BTW).

Don't think I showed this before (since I had it shipped up and just got it Saturday!).  You can see the "hat", and the pipe, and the faKe&N filter. It's actually for a C1500 p/u, so I'll need to get some flexible pipe (read: glorified dryer ducting!) in there to couple the bits together.  I know the stuff I need - it's from Greenline - we use it at work making air intakes. 
Dave - this is TOTALLY what you need on your 4.9 car.

Until it expires from old age, click HERE to see the eBay listing.

That's it for me for the day...  so, until next time...  I'm me, and you're you...  signing off.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 4:42pm
Picked up the tubing to connect all the air filter piping together.  Ouch.  Don't want to make any mistakes with this stuff at $13/ft!

My ECM (1227747) arrived today, which is pretty incredible.  The guy shipped it from Ontario mid day yesterday, and it was on my doorstep in under 24hrs!
Going to burn a custom PROM for it of course.

I've had to abort on the engine oil cooler for the time being as I just can't figure out a good place to mount it (it's original spot became occupied by my R/H rad fan!).  So I've put a loop back in it's place.

3 wire heated O2 sensor is now wired in, so that will give me more consistent readings.  It's still a narrow band.  If anyone else wants to do the same mod, it's really easy.  It's about a $68 O2 sensor, a $6 Pico plug, and a couple extra wires.

Nothing photo-worthy happened anyhow, so you're stuck reading some boring text. 

ps: I looked up the price on that 4bbl TBI a bunch of posts up.  Accell must REALLY be on crack.  They want $700 for just the TBI  and rails with NO electronics or injectors!!!!!  I'd have a custom plate milled up to take on 2 GM TBI 220's (what I've got now) with a linear linkage between them (ala dual quads) and make my own 2nd injector driver before I went the Accell route!  Sheeeesh!!!

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2009 at 5:37pm
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 7:33am
Ok - time for a brief update.

Have a full exhaust system on it (had a shop build up some pipes that tied into the system I'd made for it before), and now have dual O2 bungs in there as well.

Been having 'issues' with drivability.  That's a nice way to say it's been running like total sh*t. 

I knew I'd need to do some tuning, but....  it seemed like it was getting WORSE day by day! 
Well, the other night I was running it with my scan tool on it.  The IAC count had gone to zero (means the pintle is driven all the way in - that should stall it!).  Yet, it was still 'idling' at over 900!  It's getting air, and lots of it, from somewhere.

Further reading online says that a LOT of people were having trouble with FelPro 1255 intake gaskets (gee, guess which ones I got!!) leaking.  They actually leak so bad that they're pulling a full vaccum in the crankcase when you block off the PCV and breather ports! 

So, one rather expensive set of composite aluminum/rubber gaskets later (FelPro MS98000T)...  I'm hoping for better results.  I've just torqued down the intake last night, but still have an hour or so of bits to go back on.  I'll repost back tonight on how it runs.  Again.  Sigh...

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 9:25pm
Well - It drives!

Took it for a boot around the block tonight.  Wholey snappers it's rich though!  Hold a Bic by the tailpipes I bet it'd light off.  My integrator was reading like 108?  I don't think it can read anymore than that! 

Anyhow, so I pulled the ECM out and modified it so it's got a 'normal' PROM socket it in.  Now I can hook my ROMulator up, and do some real time tuning on my laptop.

Oh yeah, hooked up a fuel pressure gauge as well (pics tomorrow - too tired now - Flu bug got me).

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 10:24am
*cough* *cough* -- damn I hate being sick.  Above mentioned bug knocked me flat on my ass for a week, then dragged me around and kicked me for another 2.

Anyhow, I've since installed my Wide band O2, and been doing a bit more tuning when time permits.  It's still really rich at times.  Then, at times (steady state cruise) it'll be dead on 14.7:1!

Acceleration Enrichment (AE) needs MUCH more tweaking.  At first, I'd boot it a bit, it's just die, and AFR would go to 21:1 (ummm, it might have been leaner, that's just as lean as the WB can read!).

I'm looking at an add-on board for the ECM.  Amongst a zillion other things, it goes from the ALDL only taking a reading every 1.2 seconds to taking a reading about 14 times per second.  Makes data logs actually meaningful.

Wouldn't fit a Fiero ECM directly, but one of the listed ECM's I'm pretty sure could be modded to fit a Fiero.  See it here

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 11:15am
Well, I ordered up the above ECM add-on.  Been chatting with the builder, and from everything he said it's just the only way to go.  Looks like it'll even accept the output from my WB O2, and re-write the VE tables (sort of an 'auto learn' function).

Other thing is though...  just HOW hot does it have to get to actually take a high temp silicone boot and plug wire....  and BURN it to a crisp.
  Like, we're talking, on fire here.  Anyhow, luckily I got the fire out before it spread. 

Now to figure out what went wrong.  Very wrong.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 8:41pm
Got it yanked apart tonight.

Still not dead sure why those two wires caught fire (well, one the boot melted, the other one...  flame city...).  They might have just been that extra 1/4" closer to the header than the others so up they went. Looks like all the header pipes got REALLY hot.  The ceramic coating is all dull now.

Did a compression test, and they're all 200-230psi (cold, cranking).  Thats 15% from high to low, so right at the edge of 'within spec'.

Here's the plug wire and the other boot:

Anyhow....  that SEEMS to be the extent of the damage.  PHEW!!!
I thought for sure I'd melted a piston/valve/other.

Guess I'm off to go see if I can buy two new plug wires from Taylor.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 9:18am
Hey ya'll.

Nope - not dead here.  Just feel that way some days.  :)

Anyhow, I've long since replaced the bbq'd wires, added some DEI boots (ack! the boots were more than the wires!), changed a few other things.... 
like the wide band O2 sensor that burned down along with the other stuff.  :(

Added the EBL ECM add-on board as noted in the other message.  Added an IAT sensor (the one Fiero's have in the filter housing).  With virtually NO tuning it runs like 10* better! And I grabbed a BIN from another guy who's got a very similar engine and vehicle who's been tweaking it for like a year - so that should save me HUGE amounts of time & effort.

I dropped my fuel tank last night to replace my pump though.  It'd idle at about 23psi, but a hard blip on the throttle with no load would drop it about 10lbs.  NOT a good thing!!!  Anyhow, so I'll replace that with a much higher flow unit tonight.

Then it's off to do VE learn driving around!

I tell ya...  I've learned SOOOOOO much about tuning from all this that I can pass along to the Fiero crowd.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 4:53pm
'89 Vette, Delco EP375 fuel pump ordered up....  let's see how that improves things!  :)

Should be in tonight if all goes well.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:19am
Usual story...  much done, nothing to actually see!

Fuel pump solved my dipping pressure.  Can nail it now, and it holds steady at 28psi (which is correct for this TBI pod - most run ~11psi).

One of the biggest fixes was finding that the distro wasn't totally tight, and had slipped to about 6* ATDC!  Yeah, I was like 16* out (supposed to be 10* BTDC).

After that, a few more timing curve tweaks, and ongoing VE (fueling), and AE (pump shot in carb terms) corrections, and it's all starting to fall into place.

Next is going to be some tranny upgrades or I'm afraid I'm going to rip this one to shreds.

It's definitely pulling hard though.  Totally embarrassed some "N" in a beamer with his g/f in the car last night....  hahahaha....

I'll try to get some video today if I can.

DaCoupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaCoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 3:13pm

Wow project is comming along very nice..... I take it the 4.3L wasn't cutting it eh?

Built not Bought!!!!
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by DaCoupe DaCoupe wrote:

Wow project is comming along very nice..... I take it the 4.3L wasn't cutting it eh?

Back of my head I knew it'd never cut it.
I've got a couple hundred pretty much problem free miles on it now.  Just the usual debugging and fine tuning now. 

Need to move my IAT sensor to a cooler place for starters (the radiated heat off the engine is soaking into it I think, and making it read that I've got like 110F air going in - kills the power way off).

Next issue will be when (if?!?!?!) the weather perks up and it gets hot out.  I'm not sure how much heat I can pull out of this (brand new) radiator.  Going to do a custom cowl hood for sure though to help with that.

nfswift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nfswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 4:05pm

Much much nicer than mine John! I'll be interested to see any results if you dyno it with headers and a Vortec top end.

I've got a K1500 with a recently installed stock-ish 5.7 TBI, very interested in discussing the improvements (if any) to be had in re-tuning or even going with a 7730 and tune if you've looked into that any?

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 6:32pm
According to Desktop Dyno, if I can get enough air into it (meaning I have to get my 7.4L TBI unit on it instead of the 5.7L one) it should be about 380HP & something like 400ft/lbs.

I'm running the EBL ECM in it (see page 1 near the bottom) so I've never looked into the 7730.

If you rev over 3500, you'll find your heads are the biggest bottleneck.  The stock manifolds suck as well.  Look at the Edelbrock TES for help there.  The bump stick can be improved a lot too.  Really depends where you want your power.

If you're serious about tuning - you have to overcome those areas first, then get a wideband and see where you're lagging.

Oh yeah, the stock injectors are only good to about 225HP.  After that you have to crank up the pressure (hence the flow), or go into larger ones (pickings are VERY slim).

nfswift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nfswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 7:16pm

Already have my hands on an Innovate LC-1 and am eagre to see what improvements can be made.

Being a 4x4 I honestly am looking for a strong strong mid range more than anything, it's not a dedicated rock crawler, and most driving on the Island is all highway. I'll be looking into cams to bolster torque in the bottom to mid end of the power band (I'm hoping I'm a roller block but not verified yet, are most TBI blocks set up for roller?) and eventually I'll splurge on a iron vortec top end like you. So you figure tuning the stock injection system with a modified single or dual throttle body is the way to go? I've seen aftermarket multiport style manifolds as well as conversions to TPI (but this has been proven to be a huge chore).

nfswift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nfswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 7:21pm
Also noticed you didn't go with a GMPP vortec intake manifold to match the heads, is that an Edelbrock? Better than the GMPP?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic