West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build up thread of my "SS10 Blazer"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 9:07pm
Lots of different cams to be had.  Pick your fav'!

I can't say for sure exactly which is/isn't a roller setup.  Seems the later the year, the more likely though.  Mine's a '90, but out of a cop car (L05).  Here's a link to ThirdGen.org where a guy shows ALL you'll ever need to know about building up a 350TBI engine.  I read it about 20X.  Then of course only did half of it.  ;)

A stock 350TBI in your case will probably be fine since you're shooting for more low/mid range power.  With very minor tweaking you'll get about 500cfm so that's plenty for lower end RPM.

I went with the Edelbrock mostly on price, but also on versatility.  It's actually a 4bbl meant for Vortec heads, then I added a TBI to 4bbl adapter plate.  I've got to make a new one though, to clear the huge 2" butterflys of the 7.4L TBI (it hits the sides of the intake).

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:22pm
With the weather warming up (yay!!!!) I'm starting to wonder if I'll now run into cooling issues.  Not sure if I can get all the hot air out from under the hood fast enough, so...  it was time to start making the cowl hood I wanted to do anyhow.

Here it is after about 2hrs of cutting up a stock spare one, ungluing the support ribs from it, cutting up some filler panels, and welding them in place.

I've still got to finish the cut edges of course, and then do the filler, smooth it all out and paint it.  So ya know...  another couple hours.  :)

I'll post back when it's done.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 10:25am
Hmmm...   me thinks I forgot to post a follow up (from, ya know, 5 months ago!!).

Hood got roughed into shape, installed, then promptly ignored. 

Went through the summer with no overheat issues (save the the time my e-fan decided to no longer turn on under ECM control) even with the stock 4.3L rad in it.  As a matter of fact, I'm going to change the T-stat out since it's heating up too SLOWLY!  I drilled a couple of holes in it to prevent air traps...  and I think I made them too big.  Oops.

Did a few other things over the last 6 month, but nothing major.  Made up the console gauge panel that a few of you have seen installed

- but I'm going to pull it out and re-do it since the angle is too steep (near flat!) and I can't see the gauges clearly unless I lean forward and look down on them. 

Added a phenolic spacer under the throttle body adapter to reduce the temps of the TBI unit from so hot I couldn't touch it (really!) down to it feeling like it's a refrigerator unit!  It's bizarre.  It's actually almost ice cold!  Guess rushing air and the cooling effect of the fuel does that.

Anyhow, that's about all I can think of....

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 11:10am

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

...feeling like it's a refrigerator unit!  It's bizarre.  It's actually almost ice cold!  Guess rushing air and the cooling effect of the fuel does that.

Yeah, under certain cool humid conditions, ice can actually be seen to form on the outside of carburetors (as well as the inside where it's a bit harder to see!). Of course, young guys like Tristan have probably never seen a functioning carburetor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic