West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build up thread of my "SS10 Blazer"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Build up thread of my "SS10 Blazer"
    Posted: 07 September 2008 at 2:45pm
Warning!  This thread has become SO NOT 56K friendly it's not funny!!!!! 

SS10 is a name I've been tossing around anyhow.  :)

Started off life as a VERY tired (385K km) 4dr 2 wheel drive Blazer.

Body up front was really rusty (stick your hand through the hole size!), but they were all replaceable parts (THANKS STU!!!!!) so that wasn't a concern. 
It was optioned out with all the power toys (digital dash, AC, PW, PM, PDL, rear wiper, etc), so that was good.  And with only about 5% of production being a 2WD, I figured I'd scoop it up.

After a good deal of time (few months of very cold weather!) I ended up here'ish:

Still has the stickers on the brand new rubber as you can see!  And it's still too high.

So, some blocks in the back, and springs & spindles up front got it about here:

It's a 4spd auto, with a 4.3 that I added long tube headers onto:

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 2:52pm
Anyhow, I've been buzzing around in it for the summer, and it's...  well...  OK.  Has a decent sound to it with the headers, going into a pair of Flowmasters with side pipes.

But, it's just not enough....

So, I picked up this!

Which, when "peeled back" of all the hoses cables, wires and assorted crud leaves you with:

It's a 350/5.7L out of a 1990 Caprice cop car (9C1 package).  It's a roller cam engine, and it's been on synthetic it's whole life.  Has the external engine oil cooler you can sort of see.

I've seen a video of a chase between a helicopter, and a stolen one of these cars - the copter couldn't keep up when the car exceeded 130MPH.  That's pushing about a 6000lb car down the road - think how much fun it'll be with me at about 3500 lb's, and low 3.73 gears!  :D

I'll keep ya'll posted as I move along.

Edited by Dr.Fiero
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 6:16am
Oh yeah, forgot - for an engine with 'a few' miles on it, I was happy to see this:

Pretty consistent across the board, with a couple hitting 220.  It hasn't been run in a while, so the rings need to settle back in I think.

Should be a good squueze for a nice hot cam.
Headers (a must in this install) will be there as well.
Going to look into an aluminum intake.
AFR heads one day (they're like 150HP bolt on!).

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 12:36pm
Been opening the wallet and pouring it all over the engine the last little bit.

I *was* going to just drop it in as-is, but....  I went to drain the oil out of it, and found LOTS of water in there.  :(
So, started tearing down a few things which turned into a "while I'm in there" mission - and then got even more carried away with recamming it, and all new bearings...  which led to new Vortec heads, which of course required a new intake....  bla bla bla....  

So, here it is with the covers off showing some of it's sexy bits....

And with some of it's shiny bits sitting on it:

That's about it up until tuesday night.  I keep working on it every night.  Few more days it'll be ready to go in - I'm just not sure if I'M ready for it to go in!!   :D

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Looks great. I'm a fan of the flat black. But does the spoiler keep the rear end stable? 

I've only ever had it up to about 170 - but...
It's factory BTW.
I think it's more there to keep the crap from building up on the back window (which it does a very good job of).

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Did you remove the luggage racks or did I just miss them?

Yeah, I yanked that off, and filled the holes.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 9:44pm
Got some 'visual progress' going on today...

Front end torn off, closer to being ready to have the 4.3 yanked...

More or less ready to go in...

And as I'm sure most of you are aware...  if there's a way to make something a little more complicated, and add a touch of cool - I'll do it.  :D
(yes, that's a water jacket pressure gauge!)

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:06am
LOL, I guess that beats my "squeeze" the hose to check for pressure in the cooling system. Hey I just thought of something. That gauge will also let you know if you ever start to have a head gasket failure. Once you have had it on there for a while and know what the "norms" are. You'll be able to tell rather quickly if the cooling system is getting over pressurized.

Damn that is a simply brilliant idea. Now you got me wondering where I could plumb one of those into my 4.9. Hmmnmmmm.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 7:58pm
Just an update - more visual progress.

No it's not really "in there", it's hanging in space.  Ran out of time and had to go pick up the wife from work.

Tomorrow though!  It'll at least be bolted in.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 8:25am
OK - it's actually IN the hole now - bolted down tight, with a new poly tranny mount (guess the stock '91 unit didn't like being twisted and stretched THAT much!  Oops.  snap.).

Plumbing and wiring today. 

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 7:01pm
Got more done...  not as much as I wanted....

Had to stop early to stem the gushing flow of blood from my thumb where I skillfully took a razor knife and jammed it deeply into the tip of said thumb.  Figured this was a sign to make it the end of my working day. I'll spare you the shots of my thumb.

Distributor is in and eyeball timed.  Most of the wiring is done, except the new throttle body uses a different TPS, so I'll have to rewire the connector for it.  IAC was the same connector.  Have to extend the temp sender lead (engine is longer than the 6cyl, so of course the sender is now further away!).  Hoping I can reuse the stock wiring for the alternator by re-routing it.  A/C compressor also uses a different plug, so I'll have to splice that as well.  Oh well, no biggy.

Replaced a bunch of very aging vaccum lines, and replaced almost all the 'turning to dust' convoluted tubing.

Sent headers and battery tray off to get ceramic coated.  Says they should be done Thursday, maybe Friday.  Yay Kool Koat!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 9:50pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Had to stop early to stem the gushing flow of blood from my thumb where I skillfully took a razor knife and jammed it deeply into the tip of said thumb. 

I never took you for being Emo, John.

I notice the 2-barrel TBI on the 4-barrel intake manifold. Is there such a thing as a 4-barrel TBI that would sit on there (without the use of an adapter plate)?

[EDIT] I guess I can answer my own question...

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 6:10am
That's what I'd LIKE TO be running - but with the price tag on it - it's going to have to wait.

The TBI unit that's on it is about 500cfm.  I've got a 650cfm one that I can use with some modification.

I'm going to run an external FPR, so I can kick the pressure up enough to compensate for the 60% increase in HP without leaning out.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 5:51pm
Bling bling day!   

Yes - that's my battery tray!
I had to get it blasted before it finished rusting away anyhow, so for like $10 or $15 more, I get it powder coated too!  WTF - why not.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 4:30am
Looking really good.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 6:05am
Devils in the detail....  sigh....

Been stabbing at all the small things the last few days, and they're all non-photogenic.  I see the changes, but it's not worth taking pics of.

Anyhow, I'm off to get plumbing bits today, so I'll get more update shots later on.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 8:56pm
Ok - might be hard to see some changes, but...  this is all the 'fiddly' stuff that REALLY takes the time!!!!

Engine oil collar hoses

Belt n' stuff

Overall picture

Rad support almost ready to go back in for good

"Autoloc" billet dipstick w/flexible tube (stocker was WAY too fugly to put in)

Formable stainless steel rad hose! Never used it before - should be interesting

Exhaust header flange with flex coupling (unwelded yet)

Anyhow - that's about the bulk of it for the day.  Lots done, just not much visual 'big stuff'!  :)

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 2:46am

Very nice!

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:59am
This was actually yesterday, but...

"Nose" aka rad support back on

TIGHT!  But a big sigh of relief when it actually fit.

There's been more wiring etc going on as well - but nothing really visual that anyone would notice.
Squishing my electric fans in is evidently going to be a challenge!  Oh well.

Oh yeah - the bearings in my alternator were pooched. 
Like, I'm talking REALLY pooched... move the pulley up/down 1/4" kinda pooched?
Pulled the rotor and all the balls fell into my hand? 
Ok, you get the idea...

Anyhow, I checked at Lordco, and they wanted like $40 for one, and $26 for the other end (WTF?!?!?!).  Plus I'd have to pull/replace of course. 
Popped by Edmonds starter/alternator in BBY.  Handed him the end plate and rotor and said "can you do anything?". 
Handed it all back to me about 5-10 min's later.  Done.  $25.  Thanks - bye!  Boo ya!   :D

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:39pm
Short day today, had other stuff to do (groceries, etc).

Anyhow, got the efans in:

Needless to say they're not wired in.  But all the sensors, fuses, relays etc are already in there from yesterday.  Just need to pick up a couple pigtail connectors (the fans didn't come with them!  Argh!).

These things pump air like crazy - yet BOTH of them running draw 1/3 the current of a stock Fiero one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic