West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 3800 SC1 swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 10:05am

Looks great so far!

D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 5:25pm
I have been making some steady progress over the past few days, not much left to do and just small things before I get the engine back in the car.

I finished my pulley system today though, tensionner isn't in the best of places or angle but works for now, I could try to figure out something else or see if there's a different design to fit better but this will have to do for now.

sorry for the crappy cellphone pic.
But I do have some better pictures of the installed alternator and tensionner bracket.

I rerouted the fuel lines in new steel tubing from the tank up to near where they will go into the fuel line along the opposite side of the engine as stock fiero.

All I need to do now really is the plumbing for the heater core holes and put the gas tank back in and then I can get the engine in.

I think I'm still doing pretty good for having it running by the summer(mostly due to me being unemployed right now but I do start night school tonight so eventually I'll be getting less and less time to work on it.)

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 7:43pm
One more question, where do people put the ECMs on swaps. I've
seen in the trunk and engine bay but I am going to
put mine in the cabin. It's about twice the size as the fiero unit so I
was wondering how it gets mounted in the cab. I was thinking possibly
behind a seat or just make a custom center console to fit it in either
the stock location or lying flat.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 9:28pm
Don't stick it in the engine bay, unless it's one of the actual underhood ones that's all sealed up.

I mounted a panel behind the passenger seat and used it to attach the ECM, relays, etc to in one swap.  You can cover a chunk of thin plywood in carpet (etc), then it makes it easy to screw things down to, etc.  If you want to, you can also bend up a plexi cover to go over it.  Looks cool too.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 8:12pm
I will most likely put it against the firewall behind the passenger seat
or if it fits, on the floor.

More progress has been made. I got the fuel tank back in the car and
am done most of the fuel lines, just waiting for the engine to be in the
car for the last bit so I know exactly where to end them. I got all new
tubing and went around the drivers side of the engine bay.

Today I started making the fittings for the heater core holes using bits
of the old heater core lines. Being an 88 fiero I just need the one line
from the engine to feed the heater core so I am using the other inlet
to the engine as a fill point and am peicing together bits from the old
heater core plumbing and the fiero tstat housing since it has a nice big
cap for filling.
That is the last thing I need to get done before the engine goes back
into the car. So hopefully I can finish that up tomorrow and get the
engine in sometime next week since I won't have time on the
weekend.   
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 3:13pm
It's in!

all ready to go in:

filter should be easy to get to:

So now that it's in I can see what needs to be done to make all the hoses etc connect. I will need to make a throttle cable bracket, the stock 3800 puts the cable too far from the throttle.

The shifter bracket I have in there looks like it will work (modified fiero one)

When I was making the heater core hard line from the engine I forgot that the fiero hose was smaller so I will need to make an adapter for that.

trans cooler lines- Which is Which??

I will cut a hole in the firewall for the passthrough connector.

I will try to make a dogbone bracket that mounts it to the side of the head.

Coilpack I think I will mount on the strut tower under the dogbone bracket.
Fuel lines I will either try to get some rubber line with the threaded fitting already on one end or just cut the threaded part off the hard lines and just hose clamps with rubber hose.

I think that's about it for now, I'll get to work on that later this week.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 2:27am
Well I've got most of the lines hooked up to the engine- heater core, passenger side radiator hose, trans cooler lines, fuel lines and most of the vacuum lines, just need some tubing for the brake booster line and some pipe for the drivers side rad hose.

I havn't had time to work on the car for a few days now but will hopefully get back into things this week.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 8:01pm
So I havn't updated this thread in a while.
The car is back on it's own wheels now, suspension, axles, wheels all
in place.
Rolled it into the garage too so I can work on it indoors.

I need to build or find a bracket to connect the shift cable to the knob
onthe trans, a bracket to hold the throttle cable on the throttle and the
wiring to the ecu. After that it should be drivable and just needs
exhaust and intake.
What have others used for that shifter bracket on 4t60e swaps?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:09pm
It's been a while since the last update, but I have been getting things done.

Got the shifter sorted out and working, filled the coolant system with no leaks! at least with no pressure. New spark plug wires, got the last of the engine/battery wiring installed, the interior harness to the PCM is done.

I built a bracket to connect the throttle cable from the fiero to the one from the donor car so I could use the stock brackets.

The 2 cables are crimped together inside the box.

Another picture of what I did with the heater core outlet/inlet.

Here's the interior harness:

I sent the prom out to sinister performance to get programmed and should be getting that back hopefully tomorrow or wednesday, that's all that's needed to fire it up for the first time. (and putting in some fresh gas and the battery.)

Still to do:
wire in the speedometer, and ALDL port.
put the interior back together and mount the ECM
install intake ductwork- parts are on order, should arrive monday.
Exhaust.
I am going to enlarge up to 2.5 inch right after the manifold, into a catalytic converter then around into a muffler with an outlet at each end like the stock GT has and back to dual tips on each side.

Does anyone know if they make a catalytic converter where the inlet and outlet are on the same side next to each other, so it is kind of like a Uturn inside?

If all goes well I should have it running by the end of the week. :D
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:30pm

Originally posted by D_sensitized D_sensitized wrote:

If all goes well I should have it running by the end of the week. :D

Great! Shoot some video of it running, and of you doing a little victory dance!

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 11:25pm
Always nice to see another modding car hitting the road
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 12:38pm
Still waiting on the computer to come in the mail...
I'm hoping to have it out by next weekend and actually making it to a meeting and joining the club, but it won't have much of an exhaust system by then. (probably just an old supertrapp temporarily welded to the flange if I can)

I can get some little electronic bits from work to get the speedo to work properly.

It's getting really close now:D
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 12:46pm

Our next meeting is a week from tomorrow... Saturday, July 10th. We'll save a spot for you in the Ricky's parking lot!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 9:53pm
It's alive!!!!
Can't figure out how to embed youtube vids so a link will have to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srhRIbG92mk

started up perfectly first try :D

The only issue I had was the fuel line.
I just had a standard flared steel line going into the fuel filter and threaded in and as soon as i turned on the ignition to check the fuel pump for the first time, it all leaked out on the "out" end of the filter. I didn't check the fittings on the stock lines when I did the fuel lines way back when and the stock fittings were pretty much power steering lines with the oring and all. lordco has no steel stock with power steering fittings so I just have a piece of the old lines in there temporarily.

Other than that, no issues, runs fine, no leaks, and sounds great.

I will try to get the intake/exhaust/speedo hooked up this week and bring it to the meeting saturday. Otherwise I'll just have to take my eldorado.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by D_sensitized D_sensitized wrote:

It's alive!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srhRIbG92mk

...sounds great.

Heh heh, sounds like a tractor.

I'm sure it'll really sound great when you get an exhaust system on there.

Congratulations on getting it running!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:27pm
I guess it's time I updated this again.
It still has no exhaust on it yet but I have been working on other things here and there.
I undeleted the  P O N T I A C lettering on the rear since a previous owner removed the bulbs and sprayed the insides black.
Here is a before and after, there was a whole lot of spray paint in there.

Some Hoppe's 9 blast and clean gun cleaner made short work of the paint though, but unfortunately it did put a few small cracks in the lense :(

I also had to notch out a bit of the cradle because the transmission was resting on part of it and transferring vibrations throughout the car.

I got my catalytic converter and muffler finally and think I have a final design for my exhaust that flows well enough for my liking. But I did decide to cut my trunk.

Speedo still isn't working and the oil pressure is really high on the gauge at 65 PSI checked with a mechanical gauge.

I'm hoping to get the exhaust done by next week and any other issues that pop up are solved in time for the whistler run since I won't be able to make the august meeting.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:00am

That's a nice Fiero you've got growing in your garden there.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:41am
I'd like to know what 3800 fertilizer he's using.

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:34pm
Scott's Turf Builder. Look for it in the SUPERCHARGED IS WIN section.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 10:46pm
haha, it only got to spend a couple days outside of the garage...

But today I got the rest of the exhaust system tubing and welded it all up, if I have time tomorrow I will clean up the welds and find any holes I missed.

All sorts of stuff pop out of our garden:P

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic