West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The ultimate ignition system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The ultimate ignition system
    Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:40am

i'm in the process of building a trouble free V6 ignition system.  I've been testing various stock parts and find the whole arrangement to be much less than dependable.

Basically it comes down to parts that are not over rated enough to function dependably in the hot Fiero engine compartment.  The heat makes the whole system degrade and eventually makes output levels fail.

The total solution involves getting the various parts as cool as possible while doing modifications to get more output than you need to simply function.  That way when the various parts get old and you're out on a hot summer day there's still plenty of head room left to keep the motor purring along.

I'll post some images as the project goes along.  I know this has been a real problem for many Fiero owners.

I plan to beef up the pickup sensor, put a nice heatsink under the ignition module and install a spike supressor between the coil and distributor.

I will test before and after to make sure I'm actually getting somewhere.

Stay tuned.

PS.  If there is any interest, I could set up a demo for one of the club meetings.  t would bring my test gear and compare old and new.

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 10:31am

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

I plan to... put a nice heatsink under the ignition module...

Damien, I don't know whether you've ever seen This thread in this forum.

I posted the same thing at PFF and there was a good exhange of information, including a spin-off thread which described the complete relocation of the ignition module and ignition coil away from the engine/heat. That might be the "ultimate" way to go.

If there is any interest, I could set up a demo for one of the club meetings.  I would bring my test gear and compare old and new.

Sounds good to me!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 10:57am
That would be SO gnarley.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:04am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Tristan, us old guys require a translation.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

That's GROOVY

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

That's GROOVY

Okay, I can dig it!

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:30am

Pat I added a reply to the other thread, its been over a year, have you fried a module due to exhaust heat yet?

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:46am

No sir!

grokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote grokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 10:53pm
I've never had a problem with my ignition module... It's been in there 2
years and it's a Borg and Warner piece
Lets get it sideways
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:08pm

I hope Dawg doesn't mind, but if this is any idea of the direction he is going with his parts, I can't wait to see what results.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:22pm
Well Dave, wait no more.  The first prototype is almost done.

Have a look.

Nice.....eh?

And it should function as good as it looks.

DG

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:27pm
Holy Crap look at that hunk of metal, I don't think a module ever could heat that thing up.   At the very least it would keep the temperature at a much more stable rate of increase and decrease.   Should be really interesting.   There is another mod to the dist shaft we should also talk about.   The plate that the module and such is mounted to, is just pressed onto the dist shaft.  We might want to look into what it would take to make it more secure and then making a nicer machined transition between the shaft and the plate.   I have a simple idea in my head, but will have to talk to you to find out if it is cost effective to do it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 12:02pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

That's GROOVY

Okay, I can dig it!

Seriously guys? lol
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

There is another mod to the dist shaft we should also talk about.   The plate that the module and such is mounted to, is just pressed onto the dist shaft.

On that note....

I've had at least 1 or 2 distributor failures over the years that were attributable to it being pressed on.

A fine layer of corrosion can build up between the two surfaces.  This creates a layer of resistance that drops the voltage to the module (since it grounds via the plate).  That increases the current, which increases the heat!  Bad all around.

One of 'em was a real crazy maker.  Until I figured out WTF was going on - this guy would go out in the morning in the cold season before he drove off to work, and stick a hair dryer under his distributor to HEAT it up!  Car would then start fine.  He had to go out and run the car for 10 minutes or so every 3 hours while he was at work, or it wouldn't start at the end of the day!

As a fix, I ended up drilling a small hole and tapping it, then putting a screw in, right where the plate met the body.  Crude, but it worked.  :)

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 9:15pm
The spike supressor. what did you have in mind..RC snubber, or varistor? You think transient overvoltages are killing the ig module? I haven't looked at the kickback on the Fiero coil. They can be pretty high though (30-60V and fast) on other cars, so the Fiero's probably not different.

The relocation thing...the signal from the pickup would have to be protected in a noisy environment...twisted pair or maybe coax would work.

Otherwise relocation should work well.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 10:09pm
Making a small weld to keep the two pieces as one would not be a bad idea.  I'll try and do that on the next one.

As for the supressor, I'm thinking an MOV.  They come in different voltages and they're pretty tough.  I'm convinced that voltage spikes coming from the coil could be killing the odd ignition module and weakening them all.

This module is old school and very small.  There simply isn't enough space there to have effective protection.  I bet there isn't any.

My digital scope has a built in Minimum/Maximum reading feature.  It's fast too.  It should pick up and record any big spikes.  After I get Michelle's car back on the road, I'm going to set up an experiment where I'll leave a full ignition setup working for several hours with the scope watching.  Hopefully I can get an idea of the extent of the problem.

I've actually watched what looks like spikes showing up on the scope.  The effect is much worse with an MSD coil.  In fact, those coils make the ignition module work much harder than OEM coils do.  They're brutal.  Spark real good though.

Here's distributor #1 ready for action.  It goes in tomorrow.  Thanks to Dave for lending us his for a while.  You're the best man!

DG

grokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote grokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 10:18pm
lol thats a monster, would it be possible to just relocate
the ignition module?
Lets get it sideways
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by grokan grokan wrote:

would it be possible to just relocate the ignition module?

Yes.

I plan to... put a nice heatsink under the ignition module...

Damien, I don't know whether you've ever seen This thread in this forum.

I posted the same thing at PFF and there was a good exhange of information, including a spin-off thread which described the complete relocation of the ignition module and ignition coil away from the engine/heat. That might be the "ultimate" way to go.

If there is any interest, I could set up a demo for one of the club meetings.  I would bring my test gear and compare old and new.

Sounds good to me!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 10:35pm

Damien, what are the multiple round silver things, and what function do they serve?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 12:22am

Those are Rare Earth Magnets.  The pickup coil relies on the magnets in the head of the dist shaft to do its work.  When those magnets get weak the cause the pickup no to work right.

I'll let Damien explain it better.  However in principle it should allow out pickup coil to function much better and last a great deal longer.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic