West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3400 Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:53pm
As for struts, I'm holding out for now until I can afford Koni Yellows (Which is ridiculous, I know).
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

How are those spicers? Didn't happen to notice them, although that pulls in just $100 less than what I paid, so not too bad.

I don't know. I haven't bought them yet. But the good Dr recommends them over the cheaper Asian imported ones. My buddy that gave me the pricing said it would depend on how long I wanted to keep my car. So I suspect the quality of the Spicers is noticeably better.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Front Lower Ball Joint (no drop) - $18 

Front Upper Ball Joint (adjustable)- $20 

Rear Lower Ball Joint - $27.00 

Note - Receive 10% off from Rodney Dickman on any purchase of 4 or more tie rods and/or ball joints (any combination).

From Rodney's website...

Quote Note:
You may have noticed that many auto parts suppliers and others have reduced their prices on ball joints and tie rods recently. This is because they are now selling made in (mainland) China ball joints and tie rods. All my ball joints and tie rods are made in Taiwan. Their quality is well proven. I will continue to sell made in Taiwan ball joints and tie rod ends only.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 8:50pm

I don't know... Still sounds... Iffy? lol

Regardless, not concerned anymore, my Moog's are currently installed on my front end, will do the back end after the olympics.

Oh, and David, as to the tack welding thing, I brought that up with my teachers, and all three of them glared at me like I was some sort of psychopath. Ball joints will bend with excessive force, but the do that to relieve stress on every other component around them, so I'm told. lol

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 9:42pm

Regardless, not concerned anymore...

That's okay, the info is for other people's benefit at this point.  

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 4:47pm

lol

Just drove for the first time having put the Moogs on (Albeit, only the front axle) and the car feels fantastic, no longer leaning over on corners.

As a joke, my teacher also snuck in and adjusted my clutch to make it rather sissy-like while I was writing my test. Rather than having about 1/2" worth of movement from full-open to full-engage, it is now the entire length of the peddle travel, so I'll need to correct that tomorrow. lol

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 6:26pm

...my teacher also snuck in and adjusted my clutch to make it rather sissy-like while I was writing my test. Rather than having about 1/2" worth of movement from full-open to full-engage, it is now the entire length of the peddle travel

That's great, you'll be able to drive that thing now without either stalling or lunging it forward!

Seriously though, what is there to adjust on a hydraulic system (besides making sure all the air is gone)?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:55pm

No, I hate the way it feels now, I might as well not have the race clutch on there at all. It just feels so... Stock.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 10:32pm

No, I hate the way it feels now, I might as well not have the race clutch on there at all. It just feels so... Stock.

Well, here's a question for you... Just why do you have a "race clutch" installed? Because you like having a clutch which makes it difficult to get rolling smoothly from a stop?

What in your mind is the benefit of having a "race clutch" in a street car which has minimal horsepower?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 8:01am
I like that I can just barely stab the clutch and complete a shift exceptionally quick. I also like the fact that it's pretty much my anti-theft system at the moment.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 10:24am

I also like the fact that it's pretty much my anti-theft system at the moment.

Heh heh, I'd prefer a street clutch and kill switch... but I'm old and boring.  

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:18pm

Well, the anti-theft system thing was mostly a joke (As after stalling it a few times, people usually just end up clutch-dumping), but the shift speed was not. I honestly HATE the way it is now.

And sorry, I didn't see that you had two questions. If the Fiero is like Fords, there will be two screws, independant from one another, in the clutch linkage. By adjusting them, you can adjust where clutch disengagement begins, and ends. Mine begins at the same spot, but ends at the bottom of pedal travel now (I think it's actually TOO low, as my reverse gear now grinds on engagement).

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:55pm
IT sounds like he tried to bleed the clutch, but didn't know what he was doing and got air in the system.  That will cause a spongy feel to the pedal make it not change gears smoothly, grind reverse and just feel bad.  Bring the car over here, I'll re-bleed the system, print you off a receipt for $50 bucks and you can take that back to him.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:30pm

Seriously though, what is there to adjust on a hydraulic system (besides making sure all the air is gone)?

If the Fiero is like Fords, there will be two screws, independant from one another, in the clutch linkage. By adjusting them, you can adjust where clutch disengagement begins, and ends. Mine begins at the same spot, but ends at the bottom of pedal travel now (I think it's actually TOO low, as my reverse gear now grinds on engagement).

Tristan, what are they teaching you in school anyway?  There are no adjustments to be made with the Fiero hydraulic clutch. Hell, there's not even a clutch "linkage" (other than the simple banjo rod between the pedal and the master cylinder, and the slave rod/lever at the other end).

As David also mentioned, I suspect all that's happened is that you've now had air introduced into the system.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 9:04pm

I severely doubt he'd have let air in - he teaches mechanics.

As to adjustment, the whole system is not hydraulic, there are a few mechanical components. In Fords, the adjustment is made as far towards the clutch fork as is possible.

Anyhoo David, thanks for the offer, but he's a good guy, he did this just to screw with me. lol

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 10:17pm

I severely doubt he'd have let air in - he teaches mechanics.

You make it sound like he's some kind of omnipotent wrench-pulling god.

As to adjustment, the whole system is not hydraulic, there are a few mechanical components.

Educate us dumb old farts at the meeting on Saturday night then.

There are no adjustments to be made with the Fiero hydraulic clutch. Hell, there's not even a clutch "linkage" (other than the simple banjo rod between the pedal and the master cylinder, and the slave rod/lever at the other end).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:23pm
No, not a god, but a man who went from doing that as a living, to teaching it. And seeing as how the ONLY thing he was doing was the ball joints on the front axle, I can't possibly imagine any scenario where he'd have let air into the system.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:53pm

Maybe Pat and I read it wrong, but you said he did something to make the clutch softer?  What did he do in order to accomplish that?

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:56pm
You realize this thread now has over 1000 views to it, seems like a pretty potent topic.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 11:06pm

...he's a good guy, he did this just to screw with me.

Well, he's done an excellent job of it!

We want to know what the heck he did. Phone him up... at home... right this moment!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic