West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3400 Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 12:25pm

Unfortunately, I don't get back in to school until the end of February. In the mean time, the suspense will have to eat you alive. =D

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 5:59pm

Well, somewhat off topic, just thought I've give a basic rundown of things I've bought, or have to buy yet, pertaining to the project:

Heads - Bought & P/P
Lower Intake Plenum - Bought & P/P
Upper Intake Plemun - Not made
DIS Module/Coil Packs - Bought
Headers - Not bought/Not made
Pistons/Connecting Rods - Haven't bought, don't know if I will this time around. Was going to do the rotating assembly at the same time, to save time, but the expenses are adding up.

On an unrelated note, just finished sending off my right headlight motor to be repaired and get upgraded internals (Metal gearing). Gretchin will finally stop winking everywhere I go.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 1:13pm
Bwahaha, update for anyone who's remotely interested. Found a piston that will work for me. Pictures to follow as soon as I get everything organized, but I've managed to get to a healthy 9.5:1 CR, .011" of quench (Very good) and all for dirt cheap (Excluding milling costs).
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 4:50pm

I've heard that 3400 heads are better than one.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 11:49pm

LOL!!!

Oh lordy lordy, that was damn good.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:37pm

Whew, got a wee bit accomplished today. It's amazing what an hour and a half, two cutting discs and three showers trying to get metal slivers out can do for productivity.

Got the Doc's slave bracket off and Rodney's put on (Funny story about that later). I got my sway bar sporting three fresh coats of chrome (Ok, so it's chrome spray paint, but shhhh) and the energy suspension bushings were bought. Granted, I'm now concerned my ass-end will be way stiffer than the front. Will need to buy another set of bushings soon. Anyways, I also got started on Gretchin's new Frankenstein (TM) intake system. Those of you who have already been told about it (David and Patty) or those of you not wanting to read a long paragraph (Everyone else) about it may wish to skip the next paragraph.

Because the 3400 heads have the ports spaced differently, and because they're larger than the iron-head intake ports, the Fiero's lower intake plenum wouldn't bolt up, so I had to use the one from the 3400. I left the mid and upper 3400 plenums at the junkyard, because I wish to retain the Fiero upper intake plenum for looks, and because that doesn't line up with the lower plenum, I'll be fabricating a mid plenum to act as a transitional piece (Out of aluminum) between the two. Up front will be the 80mm throttle body of an LS1 (Go big or go home) followed directly by the air filter (A la speed density system. See here: http://www.eficonnection.com/coilpercylinder/33WillysCoilMou nt.jpg) However, as the Fiero upper doesn't breathe too well, I decided to slit it open from about the throttle back, so I can weld in a 2.5" and 3" piece of pipe, significantly increasing flow capablility. Well, that's what I turned my attention to today, cutting into a Fiero intake from the scrapyard.

Gretchin's intake hacked and sliced.

More encompassing shot of my chainsaw (Er, grinder) massacre.

The shiny thing is the sway bar.

Ooohhh, CHROMANCE.

Now, obviousy I still to finish hacking open the intake, and then smoothing out where I've cut. From there, I'm going to smoothen out the inside of the intake next (Where it says "Fiero" there's a mammoth ridge) followed by as much of a polish as I can get. I will worry about welding and painting last (Don't suppose anyone happens to know what paint that intake uses, do they?)

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:44pm

OH! And I almost forgot my little anecdote pertaining to the slave bracket. After I did the slave bracket, testing the clutch had to make way for another coat of spray on the sway bar. "I can check later. It was fine last time, I'm sure it's fine now." said the naive voice in my head. So, off to play around with other things I went. Well, at around five today my dad hopped in the car, and everytime he went to turn it over, it would lurch forward. Now, I was upstairs, and knew immediately what was going on, and hauled downstairs at a speed so fast I may have bent time. Once I got down, he had the car in neutral, running. "DON'T PUT IT IN GEAR!" I yelled "SHUT IT OFF!"

Well, my dad being the "expert" that he is knew that if he just revved it to about 3000RPM and tried to jam it into first and... Oh dear, well... I never liked having synchros anyways. After he and my brother left (After a "heated" discussion between dad and I) I gravity bled the clutch again, which is once again working, but not as ridiculous as a remember it being. I might need Dave or the Doc to take a look for me, tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:02pm

ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Got tired of using my dad's broken grinder today, so I went out and bought myself one. Nothing special, just a 4.5" disc model with an auto-locking on/off switch. Cost me just a hair over $80 (Doesn't sound like much to you guys, but to me, that's probably the most expensive tool I've ever bought) as well as two grinding discs, two cutting discs, two sanding discs and a scuff pad, which then brought the total to about a hundred-ish. Seeing as how Joe really likes to help me, I let him come out and help me again today. He was my hammer guy (When a piece is hanging on my a thread, he taps it out) and my cord guy (Makes sure the grinder cord stays plugged in to the extension cord, which tends to be rather loose. It wont stay in the right spot on it's own). After about twenty minutes of usage, I was cutting through the EGR port on the intake, but because of the metal bulk there, the grinder kept snagging, so I asked Joe to grab the intake with two hands and hold it steady. Problem was, when he put the entension cord down, the connection to the grinder was broken and it would turn off. I kept setting it to the right spot, and it would move a bit and lose connection again. Having previously cut through the metal gasket, Joe grabbed a nice big piece of it, and before I could see what he was doing, jammed in between the cords to pry it to the right position. Well, due to the 120V short taking place, where the cords connected both burst into flame. I grabbed the cords and yanked them apart as fast as I could, but it was too late for either. The extension, which was actually a treble light, has melted the rubber handle to the point where it is now covering both outlets. And my twenty minute old grinder now has it's prongs sitting on about a 1/8th" piece each (The short acted like a MIG welder and literally cut through most of the metal) and I now consider it way to dangerous to use (I will buy a universal outlet set later and see if I can't fix it).

That IDIOT child was somehow fine through the whole thing (Rubber gloves probably helped) but is now spending the rest of the day in his room. I get to spend the rest of my day buying a universal outlet of sufficient amperage, buying another treble light and being just generally pissed off.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:11pm

Invest in a ground fault receptacle! (Although this wasn't technically a ground fault problem, it certainly doesn't hurt to have tools used outside protected in this manner.)

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

The extension, which was actually a treble light...

Well, there's your problem. Should've been a bass light.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:21pm

Nah, there's a plug in on the side of the treble light. And while I'd normally appreciate the pun, I'm just in too poor a mood. It was like TWENTY MINUTES OLD.

DAMN IT.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:30pm

And while I'd normally appreciate the pun, I'm just in too poor a mood. It was like TWENTY MINUTES OLD.

DAMN IT.

Aw hell, in a few hours, days, weeks, months, years, or possibly decades (depending on how long you hang onto a grudge), you'll be able to laugh this off and realize it for what's it worth... a great story!

Be grateful that Gretchin survived the ordeal unscathed. I hear them things catch fire!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:33pm
Yes, but in the mean time the intake is sitting there, doing nothing. The grinder is sitting there, doing nothing. And I'm still out north of a hundred.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:35pm

Sorry man. If I owned a grinder, I'd bring it over.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 3:03pm

No need, I think I'm just going to grab a file for now. Clean up the area around where the welds will be going. Maybe sand up the insides after.

Grr...

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 5:55pm

Bah, well a good few hours with a file has smoothed out the one end of the cuts, smoother the edges of where I cut (Less turbulent) and a hammer has knocked out some of the other pieces I had started on (Notably about two thirds of that damn EGR diamond). Tomorrow I'll buy another grinder, possibly a pair of C-Clamps and start again.

Less "grr-feeling" feeling now.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:18pm

Less "grr-feeling" feeling now.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:06pm
LOL! There we go, back in a good mood.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:23pm

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:25pm

Tomorrow I'll buy another grinder

For the sake of a $3 plug???

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 12:00am

I'll try that first, but I'm assuming the worst first.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic