West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3400 Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3400 Heads
    Posted: 16 January 2010 at 7:41pm

Just went to pick-a-part today to pick up cylinder heads for school. Spotted a 3.4L Grand Am while there which had it's side caved in, but a nice looking engine. Managed to tear the engine apart and grab the heads and lower intake plenum, with the intention of buying new valve covers later and getting a Fiero-looking upper intake plenum made. Will keep you posted as the story unfolds.

For those of you wondering, the 3.4 fits the Fiero, and is made of aluminum with splayed valves (Angled) and has better port rates than the iron heads from the Fiero.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 10:30am

Do you plan to use the same crap Fiero exhaust manifolds with these better flowing heads?

In regards to the intake manifold, a dual-plenum one like Chay is working on Here would be sweet!

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Do you plan to use the same crap Fiero exhaust manifolds with these better flowing heads?

You can't even try.
The port spacing and shape is totally different.

Might just as well try to bolt on a set of 454 headers. 

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

You can't even try.
The port spacing and shape is totally different.

That's actually a blessing then.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 2:26pm
Yeah, I'm going to go back next week and *pray* that someone left the DIS/module, and headers alone. Didn't have enough money for everything that week. lol
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 7:17pm
Should be mentioned, there were two other vehicles at the lot in Pick-A-Part that had the same heads, so if anyone else is interested, the option is there for you. Weight savings are about 45 pounds, flow is slightly better (Albeit, I don't remember by how much) and the aluminums have splayed valves.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 7:31pm
But of course, none of the Fiero exhaust will fit, nor any of the intake.  So be prepared for a whack-o-fabricating.

If it's a nice day out, I might like to make a run out there too.  LMK when you're going....

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 7:40pm
I was hoping Monday afternoon, but I can go pretty much any afternoon, when works for you?
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 8:46pm
Ick - just looked at the weather forecast for the week...  how does say...  March work for you?  ;)

(I'm just not into wrecker poking in the rain!)

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:37pm

LOL

Well, I'd like to get there as soon as I can. Like I said, I've already disconnected the DIS and module, as well as the headers, and I don't want to have someone walk up and take them.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:13pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I've already disconnected the DIS and module, as well as the headers, and I don't want to have someone walk up and take them.

I was out there late this afternoon and nabbed them. How much you willing to pay, fella? Your pockets are going to have to be deep... very deep.

Just kidding, just kidding...

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:29am

Tristan, if you haven't gone out to Pick-a-Part today, I'd tag along tomorrow (or later in the week) if that would work out. The starter (actually the solenoid) has screwed up on the Fiero I'm working on, so I might as well go pick up a starter. Let me know if I haven't missed my opportunity to go out there with you. Thanks.

PS. It's not as much fun poking around in a wrecking yard in the rain, but I can't wait 'til March.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:21pm
Hey buddy, tomorrow it is. I get home around 3am. You want me to pick you up?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:04pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I get home around 3am. You want me to pick you up?

3am?

Let's work out a plan in PMs.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:44pm

LOL.

In my defense, I also tend to get home at 3am most nights.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:08pm

T, please don't try to do this mod on your own car, I'd like to see you still driving a Fiero.   I don't know why the Dr. has not brought this up, but you CAN'T install DIS on your car as you don't have a crank pickup. Your Fiero intake WON'T bolt up, and the 3400 intake has the TB too far over so you CAN'T use the Fiero distributor.  There is a darn good reason that you see all the high performance 2.8's still using steel heads, its because there are no easy Aluminum head swaps out there.

If you want to try this mod really bad, I may have a line on a $600 86GT, head about it from another club member and if he does not buy it, either he or I'll be posting the details on here.  Then you can chop cut and tweak all you want without risking your good daily driver.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:30pm
But man... $600 is like... $500 more than I have! lol
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:33pm
Also, it should mentioned I know about the intake, I was actually going to attempt making my own intake out of fibreglass in the overall design of the stock Fiero, but in the necessary pattern for the new heads. I know the distributor wont fit with the new heads, but I was under the impression implanting a DIS was feasible...
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:10pm
was out there at pick a part on the 9 of JAN, to pick up the last set of
headlight motors on a wrecked 86SE-$45 for both complt,an looked at that
3.4 with ALUM heads.i didn't have the cash to buy it.the old boy thats runs
the place is an ok guy,ive made deals with him in the past on complt cars
you can make a deal with him for the whole car for next to nothing.a whole
car could go for as little as $200,an then you get everthing!! but you better
get it outta there quick!
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I don't know why the Dr. has not brought this up

Well...  I sorta did!  But quite frankly...  nobody asked. 

Look way up top and you'll see where I said the exhaust won't fit, nor the fiero intake, etc etc.

Anyhow, if you really want that 3400 in there...  you pretty much have to move the whole mess over.  Engine, intake, exhaust, ECM, bla bla bla.  No different than any other swap (4.9, 3800, etc) that's a 'bolt in' (ie, doesn't require an adaptor like an SBC).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic