West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red to Grimm Dragon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red to Grimm Dragon
    Posted: 07 April 2010 at 10:10pm

Well I am starting to aquire the parts for the complete
transformation of the Red Dragon to the Grimm Dragon the plan is a
very ambitious one it goes as so:

New High Hp power plant, looking at a 1500hp motor that I have to
save ALOT of pennies to purchase or build it

Th425 Trans to harness the power, hate having to goto auto

Air Suspension, which will be here in the next couple of weeks... will
post pics of it at the end of this list

Complete Custom body kit based on a fastback conversion (I need
the parts for that if anyone has some for sale or donation  )

2" chop top

black chrome paint job

Full 10 or 12 point roll cage

if I can find it a 95 nissan 240sx interior

Need to do bigger brakes

etc...

Now the Pics:

Dragon now

Dragon

http://westcoastfieros.com/forum/uploads/Fire451/2007-11-
10_212906_1.JPG">

the new suspension

Air Bagshttp://westcoastfieros.com/forum/uploads/Fire451/2010-04-
07_220119_AER432.jpg">

http://westcoastfieros.com/forum/uploads/Fire451/2010-04-
07_220133_bag_management.jpg">

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 10:16pm

Originally posted by Fire451 Fire451 wrote:

Th425 Trans to harness the power, hate having to goto auto

Oh... sorry, that's the deal breaker right there.

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Th425 Trans to harness the power,
hate having to goto auto

I thought the same thing but then relized that with that much power
two hands on the wheel could be a benificial thing
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 11:20pm

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Th425 Trans to harness the power, hate having to go to auto
I thought the same thing but then relized that with that much power, two hands on the wheel could be a benificial thing

Heh heh... Well, if that's the case then I'd sacrifice a bit of power to allow my right hand to leave the steering wheel for a moment... but that's just me.

Hell, we're all different... and that's what makes our cars all the more interesting.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 5:57am
Just throwing my 2 cents in,

If your building a drag car this should be really cool! but if you want to drive on the street i would rethink the 1500hp,
just think that the 2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 650-4 Roadster makes 650hp and that it is designed for that, not only in engine, but handling and stopping, and costs significantly more than everyone on this forum makes in a year combined.

and our little fieros are built around a 140hp "power"plant

just some food for thought
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 7:32am
I've got a fastback clip you can have.
(just the clip itself BTW!!)

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 9:19am
Yeah, I find myself on Roadfury's side here. The chassis was never meant to handle 1500HP, not to mention you'll be running insane forced induction, lumpy cams, high-bypass filters, etc... Shorter engine life and horrid idle... I think towards the 600-800HP mark would be about the limit of what the car and tires could take anyways, in my own opinion.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:18am
I have talked to Fire451 about his choice and expressed my shock at the engine, but after looking over the engine and how it makes the power, the 1500hp is at MAX setup with race fuel and max boost levels, due to the engines management systems, with pretty much the flip of a switch (stroke of a keyboard) and change to pump gas the power level can be brought back down to the 700hp level, then maybe put a throttle stop on the engine and even stepping on it would be 500hp.   At 500hp it could be used as a nice fast street cruiser on pump gas.    I'll leave the details of the engine to be released by him when he feels like it, but the reason for the TH425 is the engine is so physically massive no other trans would allow for the install of it.      For those that don't know the TH425 is the trans that GM used when it build a factory Big Block Front Wheel Drive car, in the Oldsmobile Toranodo. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 6:38pm

I just wanted to add this quick link,  

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/Ite mDetail.php?Item_ID=238&cart=uypGujDs&DoThis=Venom+1 000+Twin+Turbo+SRT&ActionReq=Where

Its now a popular mod to the big engine Vipers to add big Turbo's making them 1000hp and 1100lbs of torque, running on pump gas and are soft enough to drive to the grocery store so long as you keep out of the boost.   With proper body mods and careful attention to aerodynamics I can see this working.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 6:57pm

This car is being built as a all around car.  Meaning I can drive it to the race track beat the hell out of it and be competative, drive it home, clean it, goto a car show and prey for a trophie of some sort and then goto coffee with friends.

It really doesn't matter how strong a car is built and with what motor, if you abuse them they will break, I have a tendancy to Overbuild everything that I do and end up neutering them, this way they last longer and I always have that extra lying in wait. Plus I think that I am kinda like Tim the Toolman Taylor, with the more power thing, kinda comes from building race cars and hot rods for other people.

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 7:44pm
I'ld like to know the mythical engine your planning on putting in this....

that much power will never ever ever ever EVER hook up in a fiero... EVER.. PERIOD

btw
the veyron (which makes 1000hp)

has 6 drive line related radiators   (fiero has one)

is 4 wheel drive (fiero has 2)

brake rotors are 15.75" (fiero rim size is 15)

etc etc etc

Building a Fiero that has a 1500hp engine, is going to destroy your car, your wallet, and the first time you sneeze and you foot twitches on the accelerator pedal, its going to KILL you.

I'm not saying don't be innovative, being another fiero with a 4.9 caddy or the 3.8SC is still cool but not totally original, think this one out. Make a 500HP engine that will be more than enough power. Maybe try nitrous if you want that flip of a switch power?

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:13pm

Originally posted by Roadfury Roadfury wrote:

I'ld like to know the mythical engine your planning on putting in this....

that much power will never ever ever ever EVER hook up in a fiero... EVER.. PERIOD

btw
the veyron (which makes 1000hp)

has 6 drive line related radiators   (fiero has one)

is 4 wheel drive (fiero has 2)

brake rotors are 15.75" (fiero rim size is 15)

etc etc etc

Building a Fiero that has a 1500hp engine, is going to destroy your car, your wallet, and the first time you sneeze and you foot twitches on the accelerator pedal, its going to KILL you.

I'm not saying don't be innovative, being another fiero with a 4.9 caddy or the 3.8SC is still cool but not totally original, think this one out. Make a 500HP engine that will be more than enough power. Maybe try nitrous if you want that flip of a switch power?

i understand your points but as some of the people on here that new me before I got the fiero itch i am not new to high horsepower vehicles.  I have weighed all my options and I don't make rash decisions with my life, I have always strived to be a little different and try to pioneer with everything that I do.  That being said I also always make sure that the vehicle that I am building can handle the power that I am putting in it, this means brakes that can safely stop the vehicle and if for some reason something does go wrong then the chassis is beefed up with roll cages etc that are way overbuilt and proper harnesses.

Just because I am going to be putting in a 1500hp motor does not mean that I am going to keep it tuned to run the full 1500.  for instance I built a 2500hp motor for a race car and purposly tuned it for 1500,  Like i said earlier I always overbuild and hardley ever push them to the limits.

As for the motor it is going to be a 406 SBC Twin Turbo with intercooling running 14  psi of boost, on the street I will only be running 9 psi.

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 7:53pm

well I get my new interior tomarrow, I have finally found one after 6 years of hunting now all I got to do is go and pull it and give the guy the $40 for it.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 1:16am

Although not my personal taste putting import into a domestic it will be hella cool to see it done in the FIero.  Gongrats on getting the parts you need.

, my think and dream is the Trans AM/ Dash swap, a friend in Seattle said when my V8 is drivable he will help me do the install.  As has completed it himself and looks amazing.

P.S maybe a PM, did you win the lottery or somthing.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 1:51am
no lottey won just sick of seeing the car just sit and quitting smoking freed up a few hundred a month, plus i am getting things gradually. first tye suspension, and interior then the chop and body kit, paint, then brakes, and last but not least (which is weird for me) the motor. I am usually more worried about the go over the show but this time budget is making me go the opposite direction. I will be replacing the pics with the actual parts as they show up at the house.

On a side note i will have lots of spare fiero parts to sell/give away as the car progresses
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 1:58am

If you are able to pick me up and spring for Maybe Mc.Donalds, I have 2 nice cordless 19.2 drills and tons of other things to make that interior come apart rather quickly. 19.2v Cordless Imact as well.  So if you want a hand drop me a line.  Try all the numbers until you get one, my cell, house, Lisa's cell, then drop me a text as a last resort. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 5:09pm

Well Fire451 and I went out today to gather up some more parts for his build, including his new dash, door panels and center console, as well as a fastback clip to cut up for his choptop fastback style rebody.

Fire451's new dash Project and Fastback Clip

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
GEDC0314
1024 X 768
240 KB
GEDC0316
1024 X 768
270 KB
GEDC0317
1024 X 768
349 KB
Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
GEDC0318
1024 X 768
207 KB
GEDC0319
1024 X 768
236 KB
After we were done
Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
Fire451 aka Chris himself New Chevy Truck the Fieruck Now with extended cab

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 8:40pm
well not only do I got the dash and fastback clip i also got a full factory service manual for the 240 so i can actually use all of the factory switches, hvac and gagues, only problem is the speedo only goes to 200 kph
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 10:35pm

Thats what HUD's are for.  There are some amazing HUD units on ebay, ones that display speed, rpm, oil pressure and water temp. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 10:46pm
i have a hud already for it been sitting in wait for about 3/4 of a year
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic