West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attempted Murder #3 for Gretchin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 5:59pm

Not to re-open old wounds, but I finally corrected (Somewhat corrected. Well, not really corrected, just made the problem newer) one of the contributing factors to Gretchin's awful traction. The rear-left has an un-godly amount of negative camber. I tried to show one of the members what I meant, but it's hard to see with the body-work in the way. Anyways, I moved the rear-left tire to the front (As they're directionals) and snapped a picture of just how bad it was.

...And Brian thinks those Toyo's are semi-slicks.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:33pm

Tristan, be careful with that tire up front. My experience with Fieros is that it's not a good idea to have bald tires up front on wet roads. With the combination of a light front end and worn front tires, the car just won't steer where you want it to in the rain.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 7:04pm

Instead of brakes, get some tread...think you need to get the priorities straight for yours and others safety.

Those brakes are pretty, but hard to stop when you are past the wear line, especially when we are heading into wet weather...think bro:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Tristan, be careful with that tire up front. My experience with Fieros is that it's not a good idea to have bald tires up front on wet roads. With the combination of a light front end and worn front tires, the car just won't steer where you want it to in the rain.

It's called Oversteer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversteer

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 7:58pm
Brian were you joking, oversteer is when the back end slides out, understeer is when the front end won't bite and car goes straight.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 8:14pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Brian were you joking, oversteer is when the back end slides out, understeer is when the front end won't bite and car goes straight.

Wrong link...was rushing for dinner...lol

http://www.google.ca/images?q=understeer&rls=com.microso ft:en-ca&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&a mp;source=univ&ei=UKFsTLv3BYyCsQP2udnIBw&sa=X&oi =image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQs AQwAw&biw=1327&bih=657

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 10:42pm

Wrong link, suuuurrrrreeee.

And the baldness is only on the very inside part, the rest of the tire is virtually new (the camber on the back was so excessive the middle and outer parts are virtually unmolested. That being said, I'm not very comfortable with how thin the tire could be (Just begging for puncture or blow-out issues) so I do have every intention of replacing it soon (I noticed a Nexen in the same size in the junk pile. Might see what's up with it and use it).

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 12:55am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I'm not very comfortable with how thin the tire could be (Just begging for puncture or blow-out issues) so I do have every intention of replacing it soon (I noticed a Nexen in the same size in the junk pile. Might see what's up with it and use it).

Just a reminder that our favorite place, Pick-a-Part, sells individual tires (ones that aren't part of a set) for $8.95 apiece. Pretty difficult to beat that price!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 7:23am
You are SO on the wear marks...lol...be safe either way, Volco would not put a plug in mine and they are better than yours...figure that one out:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

85SEnochie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 85SEnochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 8:45am

I know you are prob. tired of hearing how young and dumb you were?  So I thought to share my dumb story Feb. 3 1997 the Miata is a 96 I had a little road rage because a Thunderbird super coup cut me off on the free way. Lost control of the car at about 110mph did everything you did aside from touching the brake. I stuffed my foot to the floor on the gas pedal to keep the wheels lose so not to end up on my lid. what changed me was that I found out that there was a guy changing his tire about 100 yards down the free way from the guardrail that I took out. at 110 mph 100 yard is a snap of a finger to close for me I drive like grammas now. Sorry it was meant to be short and sweet but became a little lengthy.

PS saw you driving the cop top SWEET!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 9:55am
Glad your able to type this out and share...it does not take much, especially hard old rubber with no tread on wet pavement TRISTAN!...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2010 at 4:57pm

lol!

Hey now, I have ignored the opportunity to street race FOUR TIMES in the last month, and have followed the speed limit most of the time.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2010 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Hey now, I have ignored the opportunity to street race FOUR TIMES in the last month, and have followed the speed limit most of the time.

That's great! We'll make a man out of you yet.  

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 9:29pm
You're all an awful influence on me. I tried not to speed today, and yet everyone was flying. I had no choice but to speed.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 8:42am

Again, average speed limit posted was 80-90km, and 95% of the time we as were all traffic driving at 110-120km.

As a group did real well...I enjoyed being in the rear as Dawg did going up, fun watching all of us.

There was one point where I saw your back end getting a little twisted on ya...your too high:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 11:11am
I especially enjoyed that short bit near the end when the heavens opened up and we seemed to have the road to ourselves for a mile or so. 

It felt like a race track for a minute or two.  I was shoulder to shoulder pulling some serous "G's".  Road was dirty on the edges though.

I had the advantage of seeing you guys up ahead carving the line for me.

I must say, all in all we were pretty well behaved.  Even Tristan....:)

Everyone cut decent lines through the curves.  No one was doing anything erratic.  For the most part, all I saw was smooth controlled motion.

All we need to do is get rid of those other pesky motorists and we're set.

What was that called again Brian?  A race track?....;)

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 1:41pm
It was fun...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 2:38pm

Damn, I feel like I engaged in all the foreplay on the way up (pardon the pun), but missed out on the big payoff in the end.

Next time I'll let Clynt and Johnny find their own way home.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 5:59pm

Ah don't worry Patrick you would not have liked it.  As we were speeding and driving too fast.

P.S. How are the pictures coming along, Kevin uploaded his this morning.  Would like to get the 2nd gallery up soon.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Ah don't worry Patrick you would not have liked it.  As we were speeding and driving too fast.

No we were not

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic