West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MOTIVE Brake & Clutch Bleeding System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 10:39am

Originally posted by Marco Marco wrote:

The Fiero has a plastic reservoir, correct?   No fix necessary to the 1105 - it's nearly impossible to get it to seal on a plastic reservoir- you just need to buy the correct part.   The issue with the plastic reservoir is reason we made the 1115.  We offer a $15 upgrade to the 1115 for those that have the 1105.

I'm curious how the metal 1115 offers an improvement over the 1105 in regards to sealing on a plastic reservoir. Does it have a softer rubber seal as well? If not, I'd be a little dubious of any substantial improvement in sealing ability.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 11:07am
Just guessing here (without seeing them)...

The 1105 has a plastic top?
The 1115 has a metal top?

If so, the plastic one is probably bowing viewed from the front  /~~~\ as it gets cranked down.  Probably that, coupled with the distortion in the plastic reservoir is making it leak.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 10:07am

In talking with Brian, who in turn is in contact with Marco (the fella at Motive), it appears that the rubber seal may indeed be a little softer on the metal 1115 as opposed to the plastic 1105. Let's hope that's indeed the case.

So, did I notice any difference after bleeding the brakes with Brian's bleeder?

Yes!

As soon as I stepped on the brake pedal I could feel a bit more firmness. Obviously there must've been some air trapped in the system previously. The biggest advantage of using the groovy blue brake fluid is that it's so easy to tell when all the old fluid it outta there.

At the autocross on Sunday, the brakes felt really good. No pulling, no lockups, no fading (although to be honest we probably weren't on the course long enough each run to get the brakes overly hot).

I'm looking forward to trying Brian's bleeder on the clutch hydraulic system next and seeing if that makes a positive difference as well.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 12:05pm

Update from yesterday and I just was lazy to post:

I have ordered 3 correct adapters which in value would be $135USD, Marco is providing for $50USD and I am keeping the current ones that came with the kit.

This means that the Fiero clutch and GA brake will have a sealed screw on which is awesome, and the metal retangular unit also...just need to have a couple plates made and buy a C-clamp as illistrated above...can anyone help me with the brace plates?.

So if we as a club require, pretty much have every type of adapter that should now work

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 12:09pm

Brian, great news! Thank-you very much for your efforts in acquiring the pressure bleeder and correct adapters.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:09pm

I am glad he helped with costs, was getting up to $300USD for all...again VERY impressed with the communication and service with Marco at Motive even on a long weekend

So I can count on you Pat to help test the new adapters?:)...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

I am glad he (Marco) helped with costs, was getting up to $300USD for all...

So I can count on you Pat to help test the new adapters?:)...lol

For sure! I'll just make sure this time that I'm not baking in the hot sun for hours IF there's another problem.

By the way Brian, I know you'll probably say "forget it", but with the kind of money the pressure bleeder and all the adapters are now costing you, I think everyone (including me) who wishes to use them should at least slip you a token few dollars for the privilege.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 2:00pm
Donations are welcomed...I also enjoy Stanley Park Amber beer:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 3:44pm
I'm sure I have something here that will work.  I'll fab up whatever it takes....ok?

You might want to have a look at my bleeder's clamping method.  If you like it, I'll make one for ya.

The Dawg

can anyone help me with the brace plates?.

You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 3:46pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

I'm sure I have something here that will work.  I'll fab up whatever it takes....ok?

You might want to have a look at my bleeder's clamping method.  If you like it, I'll make one for ya.

The Dawg

can anyone help me with the brace plates?.

Once we have the new adapter, let's get together and take a look...this certainly will be appriciated, certainly not fancy

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 3:49pm
Brian I wonder if the strap method that is used on Crakers would also work on yours.  Might be worth a consideration.  Hell 2 short ratchet straps might also be a good way of doing it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 8:51am

Let's get the adapters and test out our options...thanks all for your support, this will be good to have for the club.

Question, how should I clean the unit out, contamination concerns with that crap DOT5 stuff:)...Alcohol?

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 9:08am

Question, how should I clean the unit out

I'd use isopropyl alcohol (the 99% stuff, not the 70%!).

Swishel it around really well, drain it out, then use a hairdryer or something (since warm sunny days seem to be behind us) to gently dry it all out.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 9:55am
Thanks...thought that to be the case...should buy a bunch to flush out that clutch line also
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 7:58pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Question, how should I clean the unit out

I'd use isopropyl alcohol (the 99% stuff, not the 70%!).

Swishel it around really well, drain it out, then use a hairdryer or something (since warm sunny days seem to be behind us) to gently dry it all out.

With the bleeder, could I flush the system with the alcohol as I would if it was fluid?...then add ATE?

Or do I have to flush with the airhose, etc. as last time...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 8:17pm

Or do I have to flush with the airhose, etc. as last time...

If you use an airhose to blow it out, I imagine the air compressor would need to have a good air/water separator on it. Otherwise, you'd be introducing a lot of moisture into the system. Not a good thing!

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 6:57am
And then...  you have to get the alcohol out of the bleeder - so you'd have to go buy another to flush the first one with.  

I'd just use the air.  If it's the first use of the day, and the lines are drained before you start, you're good to go.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 7:10am

Was curious as the adapters will arrive soon, and would be nice just to flush/clean the DOT5 out without having to change the slave, etc...plus clean the bleeder from the DOT5

Thanks...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 10:38am

...would be nice just to flush/clean the DOT5 out without having to change the slave, etc

Brian, I'm just curious... Why the possible need to flush out your clutch line/slave so thoroughly with air and/or alcohol? Was there a need to be this thorough with your brake line when you did it?

[EDIT] Hang on, I think I just realized the difference. You have DOT5 (which doesn't mix with ATE) in your clutch hydraulics but never had DOT5 in your brake hydraulics? Or am I still confused?

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

[EDIT] Hang on, I think I just realized the difference.

Was just about to reply - and you posted that.
Yeah, that's the difference.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic