Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Performance Driving
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VCMC This Sunday - Oct 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 9:42pm

The times are different...it's been some time, but in the past you pull into a lane for tech and get checked, then find a pitt...then time to walk this course, they are always tighter. 

Gates open @ 7:30 am.Tech closes @ 8:15am,
Reg closes @ 8:30am (sharp!).
(please note these times are strictly enforced and anyone not registered/tech'd by 8:30am will not be allowed to run - Please allow enough time for car prep and registration)
Driver's meeting is at 9 am.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 9:49pm

Thanks Brian. I didn't see your post here on page 3 and I had edited my post at the bottom of page 2 to acknowledge that I had discovered the earlier times posted.

See you tomorrow at McD's!

Won't be the same not having Tristan there spinning out of control.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 10:07pm
Wow that is early... need to get some sleep.

See you all tomorrow.
88 Formula 5 speed

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Need to be open minded and watch, it is kinda funny hey Allan...after your first event, you with either appriciate how they run things to the other...depends on how "serious" you are...these guys are serious or wannabe serious, but there are those like the rocker and his girl in a rusted 80s Chevette Acadian with snow tires, they had fun

I think it's good for everyone to see how vcmc runs things.  Very military like at times:

(please note these times are strictly enforced and anyone not registered/tech'd by 8:30am will not be allowed to run - Please allow enough time for car prep and registration)

Sometimes it's good....sometimes...well....

vcmc has the highest number of excellent drivers.  If you really want to learn how to do this stuff, I recommend vcmc events.  Be sure to ask the organizers for a senior driver to help you out.  Take advantage of this opportunity to get some great advice.

Have fun!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 5:19am

Up and at 'em. Kinda dark out there. No frost though, good sign!

Okay, today's the day that Colby and I demonstrate the superiority of the mighty duke!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 6:28am

We have frost...lower elevation:)...dressing warm in layers...lol

Nice to see postings from other Fiero's, I know Carol as she was my instructor for Velocity Training and we mnt bike ride, the classes have all changed, looks like I may also, but I am classed as stock modified (SM), let's see.

Drive safe, pack LIGHT and see you soon for breaky:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 6:35am

Okay, about to leave. I've got my toque.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 6:04pm

I'm back. I've had one beer. I'm zonked.

T'was a good day.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 6:37pm

Plenty of guys there today with cameras. I suspect lots of images and video will be posted by this group.

I just happened to stumble upon an image posted on-line which I cropped a bit.

May I present, the Mighty Duke...

Thanks to Edmond Chan for taking the original image.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 6:51pm
Saw that...nice shot:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 7:58pm
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:07pm
Heh, your run looks like mine played 20% faster.

This was my fastest run.
88 Formula 5 speed

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:22pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

Heh, your run looks like mine played 20% faster.

This was my fastest run.

Colby, very impressive, you were smooth and your lines were good...you are certainly improving, very nice to see

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:28pm
The best part is knowing when you've driven a particular section well. It just feels right. 
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Fastest run with Pat...

That was a fun ride!

Brian, what was that weird noise in the background that sort of sounds like someone talking? It wasn't me!

In Colby's video, the "talking" we hear is the race commentator being broadcast over the car's radio (which was kind of a neat feature at this autocross), but the background noise I'm referring to in your video sounds different. It sounds quite distorted. I suppose it must be the track commentator coming over the radio as well, but I don't recall it sounding that weird when I was in your car. Of course, most of the time I was hanging on for dear life and not noticing much else!

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Brian, what was that weird noise in the background that sort of sounds like someone talking? It wasn't me!

I think he had his radio turned on.

Edit: OK, looks like you edited your post... I think the range of the broadcast was pretty limited, so I bet that's what it is.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 11:38pm

An interesting video perspective from another of today's competitors can be seen Here.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

An interesting video perspective from another of today's competitors can be seen Here.

Carson's a great driver...and I like that camera angle:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

The best part is knowing when you've driven a particular section well. It just feels right. 

Excellent, Colby!  That's a big step. 

When I'm driving, I want to get on the gas early when coming out of a turn (most of the time).  When you are full throttle zipping past the apex and hoping your car has enough grip to complete the turn and get you to the next section, then you've done it right.  This is something that you can easily feel. 

Screwing up a section by having to brake really hard and make a big steering correction also stands out like a sore thumb.  I've done that many times.... 

I'm glad Rich and JJ were there to help you Dukes.  Next time you see them at an autox, don't be afraid to ask them for help again.  They are great guys who happen to be great drivers and will be happy to give you a hand.  Myself or Brian can introduce you to more great folks in the future to be sure you get some top quality help. 
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 12:51pm

After three kicks at the can, I have to admit to certain frustrations while being on the autocross track.

1) I enjoy the sensation of acceleration. However, I'm frustrated as heck when driving the duke that nothing much happens when I step on the gas. Yes, the car goes somewhat faster eventually, but I want to feel the car I’m driving jump immediately.

2) It seems to me in the corners on the track that the tires which are mounted on my '84 have all the gripping force of melted margarine. Yes, I'm sure I'm contributing somewhat with my less than perfect approaches etc, but with any speed whatsoever my tires were squealing like banshees sliding sideways yesterday. At the next autocross that both Brian and I are at, I’m going to swap tires with him when he’s not looking.

Seriously though, what a difference when riding in Brian’s GT. Yes, I fully appreciate the superior driving skills that Brian has developed through repeated practice on the track, but I’m also aware of the huge differences between his GT and my ‘84.

I’m not suggesting that Brian should or would be interested in this, but on a "what if?" basis, it would be very educational to see how we’d both make out if we swapped cars for one run. Would Brian’s superior driving skills actually get the duke around the track a whole lot faster, and conversely, would my newb skills on the track slow Brian’s GT times down approaching the duke’s level? Again, I’m not suggesting we actually try doing this, but the wheels are turning in my head regarding possible theoretical outcomes.

Now before anyone accuses me of being way too impatient and expecting way too much in way too short a period of time (considering my first autocross was less than a month and a half ago!), let me state quite emphatically that I’ve really enjoyed the three events I’ve participated in up to this point. I have every intention of continuing, and I have every intention on improving upon my newb autocross driving skills.

I guess I’m just debating the merits of continuing to drive the ‘84 duke when I suspect I’d be much happier driving a Fiero (yes, I’ll stick with a Fiero) with a bit more (okay, a lot more) juice.

I actually think I’m starting to develop bad habits with the duke due to it’s lack of speed. I feel that I’m not learning to apply the brakes at the "usual" points on the track. Although I was locking up my brakes during the Corvette Club autocross (due to the long straightaways), I found that yesterday at the VCMC autocross (which was much more twisty) I was able to go around the entire track without barely applying my brakes at all during a couple of the runs. Just letting up on the gas was usually enough as the duke hadn’t built up enough speed between turns to make anything other than engine braking all that necessary. Sad but true.

Driving the mighty duke has been a great introduction to autocross, and I’m not ready to pull the plug on driving her quite yet, but I see a quicker, faster Fiero in my future on the track.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic