West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Performance Driving
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Cells for Autocross/Performance.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Cells for Autocross/Performance.
    Posted: 29 October 2010 at 11:56am

First and foremost, I have been looking it up, a bladder-type fuel cell is legal in BC and Alberta, but not in the United States on Public Roads. While there's no way an officer would be able to tell you had one, if you get into an accident and someone looks at the fuel tank, you're in trouble.

Now that I've gotten the legal nonsense out of the way, I was wondering if anyone has looked into a bladder-style Fuel Cell for a Fiero, specifically those who do either racing, or high-G cornering rather often. Anyone wondering what a Fuel Cell is, I'll describe what it entails and what the benefits are.

The Fuel Cell is a form of gas-tank that has been in use since 1990, and was interestingly pioneered by Nascar, before being adopted by FIA (Formula-series), LeMans series and ALMS. It was designed after numerous punctures led to fuel being on track, then being ignited by scraping metal of passing cars. Thus, the fuel cell was born.

A Fuel Cell is effectively a plastic bladder, which is surrounded by a soft foam which is then encased in a metal housing. The bladder prevents sloshing, due to the fact when gas is consumed, it shrinks the size of the bladder, which always keeps a fuel pump pulling fuel, even when under high-G's. The foam encasement around the bladder both keeps it steady, as well as acts as a safety device. If any fires start in the tank, the foam will release a cloud of CO2 and extinguish the flame. Last up, the housing contains the foam shell, shields the unit from basic mechanical damage and is the actual mounting point for the unit to attatch it to the car. It can be made of aluminum or carbon fibre (Depending on budget) and has a ground strap attatched to it to discharge static build-up.

The practical advantages of a fuel-cell are of course a constant supply of fuel, regardless of driving, increased safety (Although this is negligable on the Fiero, due to location of the tank) and lastly adjustable size (Again, negligable on the Fiero due to location).

To make a short story long, has anyone attempted this kind of thing for the Fiero yet? If not, is there any interest to do so? Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow me to pick up a gas tank at Pick-A-Part, but when I can, I'll try and pick one up and rip it apart and look at doing it, if only for a proto-type, to see how difficult it is. If it turns out to be not so bad, I'll post another thread (Or edit this post) with a step-by-step, for member's like Brian, Colby, Allan and anyone else who would benefit from it.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 3:48pm

Count me in

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 4:07pm

You laugh, but I already made a very-small-scale one while bored using just that. It leaked.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 5:05pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow me to pick up a gas tank at Pick-A-Part, but when I can, I'll try and pick one up and rip it apart and look at doing it, if only for a proto-type, to see how difficult it is.

You don't need a good tank for this, do you?

It's possible someone in the club has a rusted one they've pulled out to replace and they'd be more than happy to get rid of it.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 9:18pm
Oh no, in fact, I'd feel bad hacking open a good tank. If anyone has a tank they'd much rather see gone, let me know. Thanks!
AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:46am
Too bad it isn't legal in the US on public roads.  Do to the crazy lawsuits in the US, I'd never do anything like this - ever.  My absolute favourite race track is in Oregon so my car will be stateside a lot.  (this is ignoring the fact my fuel system is fine running with a near empty tank under very high-g loads so I have no reason to do this mod personally)

My friend has installed a racing fuel cell in his RX-7 race car.  If you have any questions I can pass them along.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 1:16am
Interesting, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I've only ever had problems with lack of fuel supply when my tank is nearly empty, and I'm usually too afraid of running out of gas to let it get that low.
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 1:25am
Well, as per the design of the Fiero (Long and skinny "Wiener tank") lateral movement isn't all too great a concern, however, physics are physics, and me being the OCD detail-orientated boy that I am, I'd like to do it, even if only to see how much it entails on a Fiero.
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 9:42am

Well, as per the design of the Fiero (Long and skinny "Wiener tank") lateral movement isn't all too great a concern, however, physics
are physics, and me being the OCD detail-orientated boy that I am, I'd like to do it, even if only to see how much it entails on a Fiero.

Bladder is least your problem, work on your suspension first so you won't get that lateral movement that you have now

Johnny-B-Good

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 11:17am
Suspension costs money. Money I most certainly lack.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Bladder is the least of your problems...

Depends. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.  

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:47pm

try this as a starting point could help

2010-10-30_124644_andy-fuel_tank.rar

I know it is for a 88 but it could help

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Bladder is the least of your problems...

Depends. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.  

That's what the side of the road's for. Silly Patty...
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 2:34pm

How about an easy bolt on light weight aluminum tank (good for a few fast runs)...

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 3:50pm

Option #2...

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 4:35pm

I've been watching this thread since it started and I think dr.Fiero and myself have just kinda sat back and wondered why?

1st 2 important things.  The Fiero fuel system lends itself really well well to not needing a bladder.  Go out to your car right now.  Fire it up, then locate the fuel pump fuse and pull it out.  At this point, this replicates the fuel supply being stopped.  Your car does not shut off instantly, it should run for a good 3-4 seconds which is more than enough time to make it through a hard corner.

2nd, Did you not know the Fiero fuel tank is already divided up by several internal baffles to all but eliminated fuel slosh?  Hence why you can remove a Fiero fuel tank, with say 1/2 tank in it and flip it upside down and get hardly any fuel out of it.  The baffles have small holes in the walls to allow a small amount of fuel to travel through to equalize them as fuel is used or added, however they are small enough that fuel is not allowed to slosh forward or backward.  This is why you can run an Autocross course with maybe an 1/8th of a tank in your car and not run out during hard braking or cornering. 

A fuel cell is great if you are worried about crash safety or if you have a tank that does not have any baffles in it, however in a Fiero GM did their homework and designed us a very good tank for use in Racing and spirited daily driving.  You would be far better spending your time on both engine and suspension mods. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 6:28pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Fire it up, then locate the fuel pump fuse and pull it out.  At this point, this replicates the fuel supply being stopped.  Your car does not shut off instantly, it should run for a good 3-4 seconds...

I'm pretty sure anytime I've done that (to reduce fuel pressure prior to changing the fuel filter), the engine dies in about one second. I can't swear to it, but...

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I've been watching this thread since it started and I think dr.Fiero and myself have just kinda sat back and wondered why?

1st 2 important things.  The Fiero fuel system lends itself really well well to not needing a bladder.  Go out to your car right now.  Fire it up, then locate the fuel pump fuse and pull it out.  At this point, this replicates the fuel supply being stopped.  Your car does not shut off instantly, it should run for a good 3-4 seconds which is more than enough time to make it through a hard corner.

2nd, Did you not know the Fiero fuel tank is already divided up by several internal baffles to all but eliminated fuel slosh?  Hence why you can remove a Fiero fuel tank, with say 1/2 tank in it and flip it upside down and get hardly any fuel out of it.  The baffles have small holes in the walls to allow a small amount of fuel to travel through to equalize them as fuel is used or added, however they are small enough that fuel is not allowed to slosh forward or backward.  This is why you can run an Autocross course with maybe an 1/8th of a tank in your car and not run out during hard braking or cornering. 

A fuel cell is great if you are worried about crash safety or if you have a tank that does not have any baffles in it, however in a Fiero GM did their homework and designed us a very good tank for use in Racing and spirited daily driving.  You would be far better spending your time on both engine and suspension mods. 

In stock-applications, baffles are great. The Porsche GT3 comes with them too. Wanna know one of the few things the Porsche GT3 gains for race-trim (Cup RS)? A fuel cell.

No matter how good the baffle, fuel will still slosh. A baffle helps replicate a smaller tank as gas goes down, but a fuel cell replicates a 100% full tank at all times.

And while an engine can run while leaning out (What happens when the pump pulls in air along with gas, it lowers the PSI to the injectors resulting in less fuel) it doesn't run well. As peak power-production occurs at around 12.5:1, at WOT you don't want it leaning out.

Like I said to Johnny Boy, kinda just doing it as a pet-project, not overly concerned with time, as I have no intentions of selling it (If it turns out to be easy, I'll just post instructions). And the money wont be an issue if/when I find a tank, as I already have the exact foam required and the bladder (Although I don't have the accessories to all this yet, such as lines and whatnot). Unfortunately, I lack adequate funding to push further on my 2nd engine, and more importantly, finish off my suspension. Time isn't really an issue for either. Especially concerning ICBC screwed up my lisence again. Made for an interesting roadblock/conversation/fine.

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 9:11am

In stock-applications, baffles are great. The Porsche GT3 comes with them too. Wanna know one of the few things the Porsche GT3 gains for race-trim (Cup RS)? A fuel cell.

...that's because the racing rules require the safety of a fuel cell.    It's also a 100L tank too rather than the stock 60-ish litres so they don't need to pit all the time.

fwiw, when I have R-comp tires on my GT3 I can still turn incredible g-loading values while driving my car with the fuel tank on "reserve".  Baffles work fine with no fuel starvation issues.

There's actually quite a few differences between the GT3 street car and the Cup car beyond the fuel tank, but that topic is better discussed over beer and not in this thread. 

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 10:23am

Suspension costs money. Money I most certainly lack.

Then Option #2 is the way to go for now, (light weight Hefty Racing bladders) may not look cool, but works !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic