Forum Home Forum Home » Buy / Sell » Engines / Transmissions and Related Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Manifold Required - Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manifold Required - Thoughts?
    Posted: 24 June 2011 at 10:08am

Hi...

If anyone happens to have a set of manifiolds please let me know...or suggestions?

FS Sprint @ $600USD: http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=95727&d= 391&p=1

or

Westcoast Fiero...NOT CHEAP: http://www.westcoastfiero.com/headers/headers_entry.html

or

The Truleo, not sure they are in business anymore...: http://trueleo.com/fieroexhaust.htm

End of day, I am liking the heat treatment on the Sprint and price, already have the gaskets, just need bolts and install...I am probably missing so much in performance one the car, but the hard starts I need help with one day also...always something...lol

Cheers

85-88 V6 SPRINT MANIFOLD SET WITH HEAT COATING
Sprint manifolds are sand mandrel bent from heavy gauge steel with flame cut flanges. The manifolds fit exactly to your cylinder head ports while the improved header design and enlarged pipes give smooth power and torque gains throughout the RPM band. Both manifolds are heat coated inside and out, allowing the removal of your factory heat shields. This high tech coating reduces underhood temperatures, enhances flow and increases life and durability. Does not include mounting hardware.

Due to CA CARB emission laws, these manifolds are not legal for sale or use in California.
Part # 95727 Price:$599.95
85-88 V6 SPRINT MANIFOLD SET WITH HEAT COATING
Sprint manifolds are sand mandrel bent from heavy gauge steel with flame cut flanges. The manifolds fit exactly to your cylinder head ports while the improved header design and enlarged pipes give smooth power and torque gains throughout the RPM band. Both manifolds are heat coated inside and out, allowing the removal of your factory heat shields. This high tech coating reduces underhood temperatures, enhances flow and increases life and durability. Does not include mounting hardware.

Due to CA CARB emission laws, these manifolds are not legal for sale or use in California.
Part # 95727 Price:$599.95

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 11:30am

Well, there's also the option of buying a set of mendrel bends and welding up a set yourself using the existing flanges. Or, you can also speak to exhaust shops about doing that.

As for the heat-treatment, a ceramic coating can be done with any header you want, just be prepared for a little time investment. Contrary to that picture, the stuff doesn't dry like spray paint, it has to be cooked (Junk electric ovens work rather well for it). But doing so allows you to select any header you desire. If you want something a bit more durable and much better looking, you can order high-end ceramic coatings in black, grey, chrome, etc...

Hopefully I didn't just make things murkier.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 12:19pm
If you just need some stock manifolds for now I have a set that's just
taking up space. Don't think there's any cracks or anything but I've
never looked.
V6 I assume?
Send me a pm.
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 2:39pm

I have been preparing for this Tris, and locally the best price for the ceramic coating way $300...so the Sprints that are an upgrade on air flow and coated at $600 is attractive...the other two also would be a pain to deal with if there was problems, or not as bad as FS

Question would be, can anyone help install these?...yes I'll pay, would like help though

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 3:28pm
I wouldn't mind helping out. Would like to see them anyways.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 4:14pm
Honestly Brian you should have a look at the manifolds in our old car.  They're ported and have had the flanges TIG welded.  I put a ceramic coating on them like a year and a half ago and they still look brand new.  Michelle drove the car every day during that time.

I'll give you a set of ported manifolds and ported "Y" pipe with this same black coating on them for $350 exchange.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 4:48pm
Dawg, stock manifolds or who made them?...certainly interested:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 6:02pm
These are modified stock Fiero parts.  Ask around, it really makes a difference and all the stock heat shields and so on fit perfectly.

In and out in a couple hours....on a perfect day anyway.  If you end up being involved in the job make sure the manifold bolts are removed slowly and carefully.  If you break one, you'll be sorry.

I like to wiggle them back and forth a few times if I feel any resistance as they're coming out.

Cheers,

Dawg
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 6:43pm
Any pics?...very interested as I would like a step up, let's chat
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 8:35pm
Any pics?  Does Santa like little elves?  Sure, Dawg's always got pics....:)

Here's a set I just did last week:

"Y" pipe:

Me welding up another manifold:

I think Dave took some pictures of before and after porting.  You won't believe what's in there now.  Why they did it that way I don't know.  They spend a ton of effort making durable stainless exhaust parts and then leave huge obstructions inside.  Huh?

Oh well, old Dawg fixes it all up for ya...

Dawg

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 9:07pm
Can you do one like the other with more air flow?...we'll talk:)...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 10:58pm
You mean build from scratch?  Nope, just not set up for it.

Besides, the difference between ported stock and after market headers would be minimal I think.  You would notice the most change in the high RPM ranges only.

Those tuned headers take up a lot of room also.  Have a good look at them.

Cheers,

Dawg
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 12:09pm

That's where I need more power is the 3500RPM and above when I am hammering in 2nd gear on a autox, my engine is starving for air and power at times (depending on course layout and long slaloms).

Choices...let's see how the final bill is, Fiero back in the shop as there was a trans leak...nice

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 1:44pm
God damn transmission. I'm hoping it all works out in the end, bud.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 5:00pm
lol...I know man, depressing
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 12:53pm

In my experience with headers, especially tuned ones, I find porting out the stock Fiero manifolds is the best way to start looking for more air flow.  Cheapest, and easiest way to get more air flow for an otherwise stock 2.8 engine.

You are not going to get, again in my experience, great changes in numbers from tuned exhaust if you haven't changed out or upgraded your intake mainfold as well.  2.8's are well known for starving the engines at higher rpm due to the flow direction changes in the intakes and the small exhaust outlet openings in the manifolds.

My opinion would be to have Dawg do the stock exhaust manifolds first and see how it works from you and then start working your way into other, more expensive, options.

My thoughts anyway.  Good luck with your decision and I would be interested in hearing how much better your rpm ramp up will be if you do go with the ported exhaust first.

Better off to upgrade ither suspension pieces versus engine for autox as you seldom get over 100 km/hr so better cornering helps shave seconds more than engine updates.  My brother is crawling down that $1000 per second slope with his autox 280z.  He has lots of power but can't keep the power on the road with the suspension so he is working his way through paycheques for camber adjustments and stiffer sway bars etc.....  I just concentrate on getting closer to the cones and trying to stay smooth..... ;o)

Cheers
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Prova 5000s Countach Replica
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 2:58pm

Thanks for the input Don...certainly have modified everything else and tackle those cones.

Be interesting to see your brothers 280z...what autox does he partake in.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 9:00pm
Baseman;

We are over here on Van Isle in Victoria. He is a member in Vanisle
motor car club. I have been out a few times in my Porsche Boxster
and have a blast but he eats drinks and sleeps the autox.......

He comes over to Mission usually once a year. Not sure when the
next one is over there this year.

He turboed the engine so lots of power now getting the suspension
set up.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Prova 5000s Countach Replica
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 7:23am

Cheers Don...

The autoX is at the BC Driving Centre in Pitt Meadows, he must be attending track days, I also do with Morrisport, VCMC or UBC...the big one I need to drive (but need to trailer) is in Oregon at OPR...look it up on YouTube, amazing track.

Bass...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic