West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NEW PC:)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW PC:)
    Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:57am

For all us PC/Gamer junkies...new system from Anitec for under $800, it can be done:):

* Gigabyte GA-925-DS3R - Intel P35 (Core 2 Duo/Quad) PCI-E Socket 775 Motherboard
* WD Caviar SE16 500 GB - SATA 3gb/s HD
* Antec Performance One P190 Case
* G.Skill Extreme F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 GHz) Dual-Core Socket 775 Processor
* LG 20X SATA DVD/Writter

All above for $850 with tax...transplanting my power supply, sound & video card...maybe update my video to a 8800 GTS, let's see how my 1950 Pro works.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:46am

Ok, gave in and bought today a XFX 8800GTX 768MB Card:)...last will be a Zalman 9700 heatsink:

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 8:57pm

Ok...final touches, what ya think David:)...all installed at N/C, the Boyz at Anitec ROCK!:

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 11:59am

Man that is one wicked system.

Even SATA Optical Drive. 

That CPU heat sink is Massive too. 

Drools over 4gb of ram and an 8800GTS video card.  You are not going to NEED to upgrade for a long time.    However looks like you have room to upgrade anything as soon as you want too.  I am betting that MB supports running 8-16gb of ram not that anyone in the near future should need that.  But that is frigging cool.

I see it has a top vent.  That is a nice mod that I have done to several of my server class rigs.    If you decide you want to add some more coolness to the system.  (and this just seems to make every PC cooler)  Well not cooler in the temp so to speak, but cool in the WOW factory.

Hit up Home Depot and pick up 4 swivel casters with flat mounting pads.   Then go home, dismantle the entire rig so you won't get ANY metal anywhere on any of the awesome parts.   Drill holes in the bottom of the case for the caster mounts and install.

It does 2 things.  Gives the case some more breather room under it and allows you to move the case around easier for tweaking things.  (and there is nothing cooler than being able to roll your computer around.

I have 2 servers on wheels.  My main rig, I cheated, I picked up a Nice looking piece of 1" thick 12" wide I think its Oak and mounted the casters to it.  Then the tower rests on the wood, with it slide forward enough that the front bottom intake is just forward of the lip in the wood and can get plenty of fresh air.

Ok back to your Sweet Tower.

That is totally awesome.  I can't believe you put that rig together for that price, (aside from the new video card which is probably $500 alone)  

Just out of curiosity what mouse are you using.  I know you being a Gamer and all need awesome response time from your mouse.    I know the Razor is the best, however I kinda prefer the Logitech Revolution.   It has 2 scroll wheels and 5 configurable buttons.  Each scroll wheel also has a button function when you push it down.  So tech it has 7 buttons and 2 scroll wheels.  Uses Li-Ion batts, True Laser Sensor yadda yadda yadda.  

Dang I keep getting off topic here.

Ok you need to go out and run some benchies on the new rig and post back the results.    Be sure to post the ver of the bench software you run.  Just for laughs sake I would love to run my antique rig against it just to see how huge the difference is. 

(for the record for people that don't know me)

This WAS top of the line when I put it together.

CPU P4 2.8C  Overclocked to 3.5ghz

Ram 1gig DDR400 running OCed 500mhz

Video Ati Radeon 9800XT

Hard Drives.  2 many to list. Total 2.2 terabytes. (2250 gig usable HD space) 

Lots of other stuff, but nothing worth noting.

Again if I have not said it enough, I am so jealous of your new rig.   I was thinking about building something similar, however budget dictated I had to make a choice,  Build a Super Rig or Buy Super Quality parts to get my 85GT V8 Fiero back on the road and I am choosing Fiero.   I got an email back from Spec and I am going with a race clutch this time.  Solid Hub design.  All new mounts, and getting some other custom work done to make it a bit more reliable. 

I guess my antique computer will have to get me by for another 6 months of so.  The good news is by then all the computer parts should have gone through another update cycle and be a bit cheaper.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Chicken Chaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 4:35pm
Wow, that's gotta be a mean system. You could run pretty much anything out there today on that.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 7:48pm

Hey David,

That card is a XFX GTX bud, 768MG at 368 bit, and at NCIX for $445, you have to check XFX out with their warranty and service http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa? seriesId=730995&productId=731022 .  Man I was cringing watching them remove the stock fan/heatsink and modify the card with the new cooler, but I will say Anitec ROCKS!.  If anyone needs a system , not only NEVER but from a shop and get a HP or something, build one.  These guys not only provided service in a HUGE way, they only charged me $50 to build this.

Now the new Intel E8400 chip has already been overclocked from 3Ghz to 4!... but I am running everything stock, fast enough as it is.

As for the coolers of choice, the CPU I was considering the Zalman 9700 but was twice the price, and mean't removing the motherboard to install.  The big difference is the Thermalright vid card cooler, I am running 20-25C lower temps...lol, scary.

CPU Cooler: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/026/scnj1100p.html

VGA Cooler: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/hr03 gt/product_vga_cooler_hr03gt.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWF zdA==

David, for fans, total 6:

1 front, 1 rear, 1 x top all on fan controls, 1 hard drive, 1 x CPU, & 1 x GPU with a fan switch also...so I am running very cool, I can feel the chill on my legs with the breeze, and the case is cold...lol.

Never thought I would have built a system like this, was so affordable and I could not stop once I started...I also have 750GB hard drive and my WD 500GB external, I think I am set.

As for keyboard I am using the Logitech G15, and G5 Mouse, both bought off eBay and love them.

David...let's chat and have you over one day to do those bench tests:).

Cheers

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 9:05am
Yep it was back in I think 98 that we bought our 1st and ONLY "pre built computer"  we bought a Compaq. PII 300mhz with a whopping 64mb of ram.  Was the king of the hill at the time.  Spent over $2000 on the system.  12 months later it was considered out of date and when I went to update the machine.  Nothing could be changed. The bios was locked by Compaq so you could not change the CPU.  The PSU only had enough juice to barley run what was in it so no upgrading the drives and the thing did not even have an AGP slot.     It was after that, that I got hard core into the modding scene and started building custom rigs for myself and customers.    I kinda got out of it for a while, but plan to get back into it.  Maybe even as a business.  If I can find the right market.    
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 1:39pm
There's not enough chrome on it. I think you should chrome the case :)
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 2:06pm

Your a funny guy Graeme:)...hey, the wife loves her Macbook with the Samsung 22" monitor...this was kinda my B-Day present to myself:).

As for blinging my PC, certainly not the intent, all performance based on budget:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:22pm
That's great to hear about the macbook. Was it used or new?

Nice PC though, I was kidding about chroming it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 2:16pm
I bought it on Xmas Eve, 20 minutes left before LD closed...lol.  Best to buy new with all the warranties, etc. as I had no luck on eBay.  It's the bare bones one which I would like to get her another 1GB of ram.  But she has a MS bluetooth notebook mouse, the new Apple bluetooth keyboard, notebook cooler, 160GB external HD, monitor riser and this stunning Samsung 22" monitor...so we are set for tecnology in our household...lol.
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic