West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 GT questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 GT questions
    Posted: 13 July 2008 at 9:29pm

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a second fiero, a blue 87 GT 5speed.  And I have a few questions. 

First, when turning right at more the 40k the rear right suspension rattles / squeeks? Any suggestions as to what might be the issue? (the car needs new shocks if that is related)

Second, now that i've actually driven the car i noticed that the clutch pedal gets quite firm at one point, for about 2 cm of travel.  This is quite a bit before the clutch starts grabbing, is this a significant problem or just a quirk of the car?

Thanks,

Ryan

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 9:55pm

I would grease all the ball joints and tie rods and see where you are from there.  The shocks are shot, and should be replaced before racing, but it is drivable.  You have been kinda spoiled driving an 88 as your first Fiero and the 87 is just not going to feel as stable as the 88 until you do some mods to the 87.  The quickest way to improve the 87 is to get a bump steer correction kit installed.  Not cheap or easy, but it is the one limiting factor of the 84-87 suspension.   Much cheaper and faster to do is add a rear sway bar, drop the car 2" with lowering springs, then convert everything to Poly bushings.

Rear sway bar can be done cheap, under $100 if you find a spare front sway bar and remount it to the back.

Drop springs are about $225 fairly straightforward to install. 

Poly is about $225 for the kit, but it is not easy or fast to do the work.  You have to completely dismantle the entire suspension to install it. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
88FormulaFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 10:04pm

I've already been looking into new shocks and lowering springs, but I havent heard of a bump steer correction kit, who sells them?

I was also pondering how much to lower it as it will be used as a daily driver for much of the year, I dont want to be too limited in where I can drive it by how low the car is.

Thanks,

Ryan

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 11:34pm
The Fiero Rear Bump-Steer  
Well, THE bump steer correction kit is HERE!!!!.
This is not a band-aid kit, it is a rear suspension transformation package. It consists of complete replacement control arms with special toe links and a bracket assembly which attaches to the knuckle to properly locate the suspension links. It will not work with the stock control arm. 
<Click here for more information>

Bump-Steer 84-87 $625.00
Bump-Steer 84-87 (Wide Track) $687.50
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 11:38pm

Also adding a link to there site.

http://www.heldmotorsports.com/Fiero/index.htm

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2008 at 9:45pm

Hey Dave,Thanks for the quick replys.

And i have another question if you dont mind.

Any particular brands for the springs, shocks or poly bushings you would reccomend for these parts? In looking around I've seen a few options but dont know enough to know wich is better or more worth the money. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2008 at 10:52pm

Before anyone corrects me, yes I know I slaughtered the spelling on a few words in my post below, so bad in fact that even the spell checker could not find them out.

Well for Basics, without going exotic.

Suspension Techniques for the springs

Prothan for the Bushings and

Kyb's for the shocks and Struts.  

If anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to post them up.  Suspension Tech springs are pretty much the bottom of the barrel, but the barrel isn't that deep.  I think there are at most 3 options for springs, 2 of which I can think of, Eibach and Suspension Techs however I think the Eibachs were in the 350 range, where the ST's were only 225ish.  Eibachs real benefit is a smoother ride, ST are a bit harsher.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 10:12pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out too see if i can pick up the parts at a reasonable price.  Will still be another three or four weeks untill I have time to do any work on it so im not in a big hurry to find everything.

Thanks,

Ryan

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 11:22pm
THere is no rush to get your car tweaked up.  Just work when you can and get better as you drive and mod it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 10:27pm
Ya, that bumpsteer looks great, think I'll do that 1st next season with the Trueleo...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 10:42pm

Brian when you do get the conversion done, you are going to have to let me take it for a spin and see just how it feels.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 10:44pm
But of course buddy...you know I'll need your assistance:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:25pm

not in a hurry to modify it too much, definitly not the bump steer kit. but would like to get it much better than it is.  It kinda floats down the road right now.  I've got a friend in the states who's offerd to get some of the parts for me at cost plus 10% so that should make it less expensive, at least.

to attempt to solve the squeeking suspension I tried to lube the suspension but found that most of the grease boots? resevoirs? (not sure the right name, and my haynes is a couple of blocks away in my 87 ) have been punctured / ripped (3/4 at the back and 3/6 at the front) what would the parts be called to find replacements?

I dont want to drive it too much because it gets quite loud when turning to the right at any kind of speed.

On the plus side i've gotten a driving lesson from my Uncle and its much easier to drive an older standard than I was fearing, easier to drive than a mazda 3 or RX8 , despite the warnings i've had "its not like driving a new car you know..."

thanks for the answeres and suggestions

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:28pm

oh and one other question, the radio is wired up very weird.  to turn it on you must turn on the backlights, turn the dimmer dial all the way down, then all the way up, and then the power button on the radio will work... anyone have any idea how it might have been wired to work like this?

thanks

ryan

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:36pm
The boots are a pain to replace as you have to remove each ball joint.  I would just give each one a few good squirts through the zerk fitting until it starts to squish out the torn boot.

As for the stereo, it sounds like there is a bad ground, or shorted something someplace.  Maybe they even wired the power wire wrong so it is feeding power from the dimmer circuit.  In any case, remove all of the stereo wiring and start from scratch.  Assuming the connectors are still there just buy an proper install kit with harness, if the connectors are gone, I would find someone with a parts car and buy the OEM harness plugs from them and splice in the original stuff and then go out and buy the proper adapter harness.   You can wire everything up by hand, but it ends up being a major PITA later on.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 7:04pm

yeah, thats what i tried when i greased it, but it didnt solve or even seem to help the squeeking.

i guess I'll pull out the radio when i get a chance to take a look, its not a priority compared to the suspension though, (only two more booked weekends then i'll have some time to work on the car!!! Just came back from oregon today, next weekend its seatle and then  the weekend after that ontario

Thanks,

Ryan

Edited by 88FormulaFiero

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 7:54pm

I was just thinking about it and the shop that replaced the clutch also did brake work, so I should probably take a look to see if they forgot any other bolts before driving it much more. 

Ryan

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 8:22pm
Probably could not hurt to take a look over EVERYTHING on the car.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 8:47pm
yeah, lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic